Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WILL get into your spare mags. So REGARDLESS of how good the GUN is at keeping going under such conditions, you'd have to Glad bag your spare mags, or you aint firing many rds out of the spares, successfully, without cleaning them.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Good advice. Now what about those rubber "muzzles" that you can buy to fit over the mag's mouth. Course that wouldn't keep sand/mud from getting into the mag catch notch or the bottom so the bags would still be a good deal in such harsh conditions.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The problem with glad bagging them is that moisture is trapped within the bags and they will eventually develop leaks and what not.

You may be better off simply cleaning your gear frequently. If nothing else, it allows you to inspect the condition of your stuff - i.e. no surprises when you will be SOL.

It will depend on your AO and what you are planning.

Personally, I don't want to have to do more than open a mag pouch grab a fresh mag and insert it into the weapon. Having to remove a spare mag from a glad bag while being shot at is not my idea of fun.

I'll put up with regular cleaning of spare mags.

but that's just me.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Aslan, that was my first thought when he mentioned the glad bags. I've see pleny of rust come about from plastic condensation. That's real 'tactical' advice.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I was thinking about a situation like in Iraq or Afghanistan where it would be near impossible to clean mags several times a day.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Actually, they spend a fair amount of time doing gear maintenance and cleaning.

I've had mags get pretty darn filthy but still function - not something I like. But you should, at the minimum, get a daily cleaning or inspection on your stuff.

A shaving brush, or a smallish paint brush is pretty useful for sand and dirt removal.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ypu should carry your spare msgsxines in duality military magazine pouches. They were designed to protect the magazines and they do a fairly good job, Also use quality real Mil Spec magazines. They were designed to function well in bad environments,

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
In all the years in the field that I've had, magazines that were properly stored never got dirty. When my webbing go soaked, the mags were disassembled and cleaned at the first available opportunity.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Sand does play havoc with functioning, especially as reported for the Beretta 9mm, but most I have heard of was because of over oiling, that being a sand magnet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts