Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think will be the net result of the battle for falleuja that's currently being waged?

Will this finally quiet down some of the trouble over there, or will it make it worse?

:devil:

·
Registered
720 Posts
From what I am understanding, the "pawns" have been left behind as fodder, and the higher value targets have scurried away to rouse the rabble another day. I hope they pursue and thin the herd as opportunity permits. House to house is some kinda nasty stuff, in any case.
SatCong

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
If they were carpet-bombing, I'd say it's a positive thing. House to house, it's another quagmire.

Hope I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
You know, every time we go into somewhere over there it seems we have to give them at least a few weeks worth of warnings. How do they expect to get any high value targets that way?

Maybe they warn them to let out civilians, but I am a firm believer in that old Navy saying that 'loose lips sink ships'. What ever happened to the surprise attack? Sure they would almost certainly know when we are preparing for an offensive, but if the friggin politicians kept their mouths shut for a short time, maybe they would still be guessing at what in Hades we were up to when all of a sudden we started slamming them hard. I guess military minds must think differently than a non veteran like me, maybe I just watch too much of the history channel because I still believe that the element of surprise is a great advantage. Heck surprise works in law enforcement when we go on raids. We sure don't tell the media we are going on a big drug bust beforehand and then let them broadcast it for weeks before we carry it out.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
IMO it will just become worse. The terrs have already run and left the rabble to fight it out for the virgins. With so many safe havens in Iraq and the people supporting the insurgents I fear that we may be there for years.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
*sigh*If the press could be kept out of the battle zone until afterthe operation was over then&only thencould a fight like this be won.
The indescriminant bombings of both German & Japanese cities could never have occured if our modern press were on site.Waaaaay too many "civilian"casualties.Remember,the press that is pining away over the "loss" of Arafat(terrorist/murderer/*******),the press that turned a blind eye to Kerry's campaign untruths,the press that never fails to point out a short coming in the Presidency,the press that wore black for days after Bush was re-elected:dunce:,this is the press that would scream to the world than Americans-led by Bush-were slaughtering innocents in Fal-whatever.

I firmly believe that they,along with Iraqi/Iranian rabble rousers would inflate the body count & tell sad stories about how many innocent women & infants were killed.They'd be denying even the presence of "insurgents".

In cases like this I wish that there was room for a General Sherman on the modern battlefield.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Notice how much we hear from Afganistan? Not much. No doubt we're not fighting "fair" over there.

Get the Goddamn press out of the war zone, and fight the war LIKE A WAR. When at war, the military's job is to kill people and break things, not pussyfoot around.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I don't think it matters much if they are there to report whatever they are allowed to report; but I do think our leaders should not be telling the press what our military intentions are before they begin to take place. That is where the problem lies, in the telegraphing of our intentions to the world by our own leaders. This is a ridiculous type of strategy if you are hopeful of winning a battle, unless of course you are giving misinformation. We are not giving out anything but our real intentions - which time and time again the jerks in charge prove by giving away our intent over and over and over again long before we do what we intended. Yes I am a Republican, but when the boss screws up, I believe in calling a spade a spade.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I don't think the press has any business there.
IF they reported facts, what was actually happening (after the fact, of course) fine, but no, the're just a bunch of drama queens spinning for ratings.

I don't think the problem is directly telegraphing our intentions, but rather a deeper problem. We don't, as a nation, have the guts to fight a war anymore. Yes,a big buidup telegraphs our intentions, but why are we even building up? The FIRST time we had major resistance from Falluja (SP?) we should have attacked it like it was (and is) a military target. That means mark every target you see, and take them our with guided munitions. Then you hit it with armor, with artillery walking it in.

Awww, they're hiding in a "culturally significant building (mosque)"? Tough shit, blow it to kingdom come. Don't want us leveling your religious buildings? Don't hide in them. Don't want your civilians dead (no, they don't care, just more media spin)? Stop hiding behind them.

War is Hell. It's SUPPOSED to be. Treating them with kid gloves doesn't work, never has. War should be such that the devastation left behind will remind those that started it WHY they don't want to pursue this route. "Kinder, gentler" wars only encourage these types to continue using it as a means to force the world to do their bidding.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You could think of it as Tet-like in this sense.During Tet,the NVA "encouraged the VC"to rise up(exposethemselves)and atrike a blow for freedom.Ooops!They took their time getting down there to reinforcethem.Consequently the old criminals in Hanoi had a few less "true believers"to complicate their "meet the new boss-same as the old boss" game.
Turn on the lights&if the roaches stay in the center of the kitchen floor...well there's a whole lot of spraying going on.Falujah?It won't end there,but there will definintel;y be fewe3r of the existing jihadis& a lot more need to cultivate fresh cruits for the ranks of the shaheedi

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
gripper said:
It won't end there,but there will definintel;y be fewe3r of the existing jihadis& a lot more need to cultivate fresh cruits for the ranks of the shaheedi
I wonder if any of us will live long enough to see the end of that line.

There seems to be a never ending supply of idiots willing to waste their lives on a flawed(from my perspective) ideal.

There is a bright side though.It seems to me that if they keep throwing away the lives of their young folk then,sooner or later,they'll lose a whole generation.& that'll make them even weaker.& that's a good thing. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Our soldiers and marines aided by six Iraqi battajions did very well. We killed 1;600 terrorists and captured 1,000. )ur loss4s totaled 49 men.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts