Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a CZ452 for at least 16-18 years, possibly 20; but the weirdest thing happened to it a while back. The butt pad started just decomposing/dissolving, while simply sitting in the safe. I originally noticed it due to a black spot on the floor of the safe where the gun had been resting. At that point, I turned the gun muzzle-down, thinking that it may have been some reaction to some cleaning fluid I’d left on it and that had dripped down there & hurt the rubber. But even with the butt of the gun up at the top, not touching anything, it still kept decomposing (for lack of a better word). I looked on line for a replacement stock or buttpad, but didn’t find a direct-fit pad & wasn’t going to pay $200 or so for a .22 rifle stock, so the gun just got left alone & unloved for years. It’s been more than five years now, and as far as I recall, I haven’t used the gun a single time during that span because of it. The composite rubber butt pad just kept gradually shrinking away, like one of those solid air fresheners or something. No residue, no mess as long as it wasn’t touching anything, and no problem with any of the other guns in the same safe. Turned out to be a fairly common phenomenon with CZ452 butt pads, as I found several posts on other gun forums where other people were describing the same thing.

Anyway, in paring down my guns lately I started looking again, and found a replacement butt pad from Boyd’s that should only take minimal fitting. I know there are one or two others here that also own CZ452’s, so thought I’d pass it along in case anyone else is having this issue with their 452. I found this same part on ebay a couple years ago, but it had a starting bid of $70, and I wasn’t doing that for a simple rubber butt pad. They’re now in stock at Boyd’s, for just $8 plus shipping so I ordered one. I haven’t done anything with it; it just arrived yesterday and I hope to get it installed this weekend. It's such a crazy accurate gun and came factory-threaded, so it would be a lot of fun to have it back in operating form.

The Boyd’s part: BOYDS®RECOIL PAD | Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fwiw, the little remaining rubber material; what's left of the rubber butt pad after years of just 'evaporating' or whatever term we want to use for it. It's the weirdest thing, just a little nub or dimple of material left in the middle of the butt, where there used to be a whole, half-inch or so thick, rubber buttpad. Again, the butt end of the gun has been in the 'up' orientation in the safe for a long time now, not making contact with anything at all; and there's no sign anywhere of where this material went. No residue running down the stock or any other indicator at all. It's like it just evaporated into the air.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Wow! Sounds like a manufacturing defect in the Rubber composition.

One thing that's concerned me although a knife not a firearm is the handle on the Gerber BMF knife I've had since 1985, or whatever year they came out.
The handle is made of a rubbery polymer hypalon and is starting to feel like it's hardening a little. So I treat it now and then with Ballustol.

Firearms related I remember one 1911 I owned traded off and bought back a few years ago that the original grips I put on it in around 1986-7 had hardened and started to chip and crack. The grips were the Bianchl ones made by Pachmyr; Brown with finger grooves. No idea as to how the gun was cared for or stored.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea what they did or used, but I found several places on the net where the issue was being discussed.

From thestalkingdirectory.co.uk:
So I know this isn't a new issue as I've seen it raised elsewhere (and here back in January), but I've not yet seen a sorted replacement on a gun. To skip to the end, the soft rubber butt pad on my 15-odd year old CZ452 is collapsing / melting - it's currently wrapped in electrical tape to stop it from adhering to anything else and looks about as good as you're imagining.
had a Cz and had the same problem.

From 24hourcampfire.com:
...the factory soft rubber recoil pad (think Limb saver) on my CZ 452 Silhouette became sticky, and then, very literally, disintegrated.
I picked up a nice CZ 452 style with the synthetic stock. The pad was missing and now I know it is a common occurrence for the pads to deteriorate.
I believe the original pad was about 3/4" to 1" thick. I'm not sure who made it, but it doesn't have any markings (or the ribbed sides) to indicate that it was a Limbsaver, though the material feels very, VERY similar. From what I understand, those type of pads quite often turn sticky, before disintegrating. I have heard of CZ's similar to mine, as well as ones on Remington's doing the same.
Like so many things in life, I've quit trying to figure it out and am happy now to just work around it.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got home unexpectedly early yesterday and went ahead & put the new buttpad on. The remaining gunky crap cleaned off the rifle butt surprisingly easy, and it took maybe 5-10 minutes at most with the belt sander to shape the new pad acceptably. It's not cosmetically perfect, but it's okay for my purposes and functionally fine. Best part was shooting the rifle for the first time in years; it's as accurate as I remember, with the 4.5-14x Simmons "All Target Variable" still being spot-on with the Remington subsonic HP's that I mostly used in it.

I'm not generally the biggest fan of Simmons scopes, but this one was marketed as one of their centerfire scopes, and does fine on the rimfire. (Simmons has discontinued this one, but the Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 looks suspiciously like it.) With a fence post rest, it was smacking small leaves floating in the pond at 60-70 yards consistently. VERY happy to have this gun back in working order; it'll probably replace the 10-22 as my armadillo/possum gun.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I had a CZ 452 Varminter a few years ago. Fine shooter. Scope in it was one of the now defunct Swift pro series or whatever they called the Red Boxed scopes 4-12x.
I'd like to get either one of the new 455 target rifles if theirs or a Bergara rimfire action .22lr that I can fit, allegedly, into a Choate Tactical stock like my two Remington 700's have as trainers.
That's for another time got too many gun projects to tidy up as is.😁

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard of the 455 but never held one; not really sure of the differences. I took the 452 out and shot it again a little this past weekend after messing with the mower. I really had forgotten how much I liked the silly thing; it's almost hard to miss with it, and when you do, there's no question that it was the shooter that missed, and not the gun.

The most memorable thing about buying this rifle was the gunshop clerk. He hadn't noticed that the barrel was threaded until I pointed it out and started unscrewing the thread protector, and you could almost see the gears turning in his head for a few seconds when he saw it. Then he nodded knowingly and said, "that's for a special target sight they use in Europe". :cautious:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Special target eight?😁

455 is the switch barrel rimfires and regardless of that they make a couple bull barrel models.
I'm planning, when I get a few other things cleared, to get either one of those or the Bergara rimfire version of the centerfire heavy barrel they sell. Don't recall the model number but the Bergara receiver foot print is so close to a Rem 700 Short Action I can have it in an identical stock of my two Remington 700's.
One of the CZ 455's has a very large and heavy stock that in theory I could reshape to be very close also but more work than I want.
Who knows may end up with both or at least a standard profile CZ. Or even the old style Varminter with it's tapered heavy barrel.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the CZ 452 out again and good grief it's a great little rifle. I don't recall how much it cost back 20 or more years ago, but I don't recall it being crazy expensive. But with those remington subsonics, it's almost hard to miss with the stupid thing. Doesn't matter if I'm shooting at an armadillo 80-90 yards away or a leaf gently bobbing in the pond, it just hits them. When I fixed the buttstock I debated 'upgrading' the scope, but after using it some more I fully intend to leave it completely as-is.

I really need to try some of the other subsonics I have on hand (Aguila and CCI) and see if it likes them as well. But I'd honestly forgotten how awesome the silly little thing is.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm thinking of getting their new or newer heavy barrel target rifle. It's that or the Bergara rimfire trainer. I'll be eternally kicking myself in the butt for selling off the 40X .22 rimfire I had.☹

1 - 10 of 10 Posts