Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as we all like to be prepared at all times, there are sometimes that you simply cannot carry what you would like to. In your day to day life, what do you routinely carry with you for emergencies ON YOU (one scenario is you have your kit in your car with you, you slide off the road on ice, the car is burning and you manage to get out, with just what is in your pockets - okay, this may be a "worst case" but that is what I'm asking about).
For myself, I carry different things depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going...
At work- I'm in BDUs with a flashlight and gerber multitool on my belt, a 3.5" folder in my pocket, 20' of paracord in cargo pocket, lighter, flashlight on keychain, bandaids and razor blade in wallet.
Day to day - multitool on belt, trapper folder in pocket, lighter, flashlight on keychain, bandaids and razor blade in wallet.
Woods (hunting, fishing, hiking) - too much to mention, I don't trust packs enough to depend on them
Dressed up - folder in pocket, leatherman mini tool and flashlight on keychain and razor in wallet.
Airport - flashlight on dog tags, razor and bandaids in wallet (yes, a razor in your wallet gets through, still).

Bear in mind that I'm in a very liberal state and therefore I don't CCW often. If I percieve the need to carry a sidearm, it'd be either a 1911 or a 6 inch .357. I'm not going into what I carry overseas, as I'm positive that either I'm prepared and armed enough (both what Uncle Sam gives me and what I take from the bottom of my safe) or outgunned and the situation is hopeless to begin with.

And before you wonder why the constant flashlight, remember the WTC with lights out in the stairway, a flashlight would have been handy for the survivors then, and is small and innocuous enough for anywhere.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Dont carry much stuff on me,other than a lighter

knife and such small stuff. There's a good kit in all 3 vehicles tho, much more in the house, and awhole lot more not far away,easy walking distance,even in really deep snow.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the small stuff that I'm talking about. Stuff that can ALWAYS be carried. Like I said, the kits are great and I have several myself, but they won't do me much good when they're in the car and I'm in a building, the car burns, etc. I'm thinking about the stuff you forget you have on you until you need it. Gen. Murphy (the guy with the law) will always be there and make sure you're as unprepared as possible when you need to be prepared. I'm just trying to get more ideas for stuff to put in my pockets or wallet to have and (hopefully) never need.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Addition to list:

One thing Always carried (see, I don't need it now and forgot I have it) is a large bandana type handkerchief (not the small normal sized ones, though they may work in a pinch). Can be used as bandage, sling, dust mask, cleaning glasses, cut in strips for small lengths to tie a splint and when washed soft enough are excellent for absorbtion for water procurement (Viper driver in Bosnia was using socks to drink, I'd rather use the hankie personally). Also, blowing you nose when you've got a cold or wiping your eyes when you realize that you've forgotten something small but vital :bawling:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I'm almost never away from vehicle or office or home long enough to make any of this an issue, and when I am, the backpack is neaarly always present. I forgot the Needle, hooks and fishline that's in the wallet

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Minimum of a P32; if I don't have it, it's because I have something larger instead. (And if I'm in the vehicle with just the P32 in my pocket, the 9mm's within reach of the driver's seat, even if it's not "on me".)

Small "Seber" tool on key ring and credit-card size fresnel lens in wallet, and $80 in money belt. They make them look like regular, quality dress belts nowadays; probably some other papers that should be in there, ID, etc, but aren't. "Medicated" chapstick [in the pocket with my keys] is good for disinfecting cuts, etc.

Same as above, if I'm in the vehicle, other things are just a couple seconds away. If I were going on a planned, week-long campout and realized upon arrival that I'd forgotten my bags at home, the only "hardship" I'd face by using just what's always in the truck, is that I'd only have one spare set of clothes in addition to what I was wearing. Food, shelter, tools, etc; enough of all, including a pair of broken-in hiking boots. (More "half-worn-out" than "broken-in", to be honest... :) )

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
On my person daily, I carry a Gerber M600 multi tool, a pair of No. 4 crimpers and a mini mag flashlight along with 1/2 a dozen bandaids between my wallet and my field message pad. When I pick up my "service truck" at work I generally have a complete set of hand tools, wet weather gear, Chemical warfare mask and gloves, large quantity of explosives and 50-60 other items I could possibly require on a trial site.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not counting the Xterra, on my person: G19 with 3 G17 hicaps. Gerber EZ open or some such for daily utility and a Cold Steel Recon that is for emergencies. A couple of micro photon lights. That's about it for the juicy bits.

The Xterra has a whole lotta kit highlighted by Bushmaster carbine and G34.
Big F'in Knives, shovel, flashlights, fire ext, first aid stuff, yada yada yada.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Paco said:
...The Xterra has a whole lotta kit highlighted by Bushmaster carbine and G34.
Big F'in Knives, shovel, flashlights, fire ext, first aid stuff, yada yada yada.
Same here, except Dodge 1500 with cap, not XTerra. (I'm cheap... :cool: )

Bushmaster CAR with accessories & mags, Glock 19 (either "on" me or in the truck), and Streamlight 7-LED flashlight. (Tough as a regular streamlight, but lasts nearly a hundred hours on four AA's. Doesn't project as far as a mini-mag, but up close it's actually better, as it's more of a flood than spot light. I don't carry my mini-mag anymore except as 'backup'.)

"Duty bag" (rides in the trunk of patrol car on duty) rides in the back of the truck the rest of the time. Three more 30-round ar mags, two 31-round Glock mags, mini-mag light, pry-bar, metal detector wand, zip-cuffs, poncho, extra pens, DOT hazard book, etc. If abandoning the vehicle on foot, probably wouldn't take much from it other than the magazines, pry bar and the spare poncho; due to weight.

"GHB", get home bag; basically a variation on the BOB. Besides clothes, food, water purifier, shelter, etc, includes:

Gerber multiplier
Spec-plus sheath knife
Victorinox SAK
Fiskars locking pruning saw (instead of hatchet; lighter and quieter)
fire starters
LED flashlight & batteries
Esbit stove & fuel tabs (recommend these highly - cheap, light, & work very well with canteen cup)
1/8" nylon cord
first aid kit

etc, etc; in an internal-frame backpack.

Separate gym-bag size bag in the tool box with the backpack carries 10 or 12 Mountain House meals, the "feeds two" size. (Sure it does...)

Twenty-eight pounds total backpack weight, another 4 or 5 in the gymbag, plus the CAR & whatever's "on" me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
PERSONAL ITEMS

Always carry P-229, one spare mag, one small flashlight, one small can of OC spray and a folder. This in addition to rain gear, heavy jacket, first aid kit and matches.
live in a civilized area so I don't need to overdue it and carry the H-bar on a daily basis.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Crimony John! LOL what can I say. Similiar alright. (Xterra was used, never buy new)

Osama? Ooooossssaaaama? Come out and playyyyyy.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Bought new, I confess. First-ever new-bought truck, and first-ever Dodge.

To demonstrate "cheap"... Full-size 1500 four-door, V8 engine, and I've arranged things so that I average over 20 mpg with it. Full-synthetic oil, K&N air filter, and "flush-with-cab" cap on the back (makes the truck look like an oversize Durango, about Expedition-size), the cap eliminates wind resistance/turbulence on the tailgate and bed.

Just cruising around 65 on the highway, I get a solid 24mpg; and get 20-21 overall, including city. I love discussing it at the gas pumps, with the guys stuffing themselves into vehicles half the size, and getting no better mileage... :dgrin:

Ask me about my home electric bill sometime, if you want "cheap"... :nyah:

·
Registered
44 Posts
The tool that is always on me is my Cold Steel Recon Tanto, sometimes two, with a spare in the truck. I also carry a mini mag light. In my wallet is a small magnifying lens to start fires, etc., and a coiled-up 5ft strand of wire for use as a weapon or for use in improvised explosives. When packing, I'm carrying my Desert Eagle. The Mossberg 590 is always in the truck with plenty of ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I carry this stuff almost everywhere at almost all times:

Glock 19 in holster on hip
Two spare magazines in pouch on off side hip
Handcuffs
Two folding knives
One or two mini mag flashlights
Strong Money Belt with secreted handcuff key (better to have more than one style handcuff key if you can find em but at least carry a spare that is hidden and opens your own cuffs)
Cash
ATM card ("ATM FIX EVERYTHING" remember that commercial)

I also carry a bag with other items, the bag is usually with me. It contains some things like:" rope or cord, space blanket, fire starter, compass, knives, gas mask (sometimes), spare glasses, passports, first aid stuff, glow sticks, flashlights, spare batteries, whistle, spare magazines, spare cuffs, leg irons, sewing kit, ass wipe paper (paper towels) and lots of other goodies like some water and food. I would make every effort to get it out of the burning car.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I carry a Daewoo DP-51c, in a GunnysackII, along with a Garrity single LED flashlight(Wallyworld $5.00), a small swiss army knife(Wenger), Cold Steel 4" Voyager Tanto,and wallet. While at work I carry a Leatherman, the Cold Steel, and a 2cell 4LED flashlight.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Of course someday I'll take the advice found in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and I'll also carry a well made and strong bath towel where ever I travel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an interesting thread. You guys have some good ideas about what to keep in your vehicles, and hope no one minds taht I am using your examples. Just curious about keeping firearms in the car. I live in the Philadelphia area, and it just doesn't seem like a good idea to keep a firearm in the car unless it is on you. I like to carry my hipower, but I don't want to keep my SKS in the car overnight. I don't think that I want to keep moving my rifle to and from my car on a daily basis.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chutestrate, I've never really thought about not carrying a firearm(s) in my vehicle. It has been second nature to me for as long as I can remember. Of course, I've always lived in small communities for the most part. I've never really thought of what I'd do if I lived in an urban environment. I'm pretty sure I'd still pack a firearm in my vehicle; insurance is a wonderful thing ;)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Chute, you can always install a kind of lockbox. Keep it hidden so that casual peepers can't see it.

You could probably hide some things in or under seats...if you get fancy, you can even install hidden storage lockers inder the rear seat, depending on what kind of car you drive.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Chute-

Very understandable concern. I'm out in the sticks, and it's less a concern for me. Carrying a gun in & out every day would be a very bad idea, imo; too much attention to be drawing to your vehicle.

If nothing else, a low-dollar gun would at least reduce your 'exposure', if left in a vehicle. If I'm travelling to somewhere that I'm going to be staying in a hotel, before I leave home I take out the CAR-15 and replace it with an M1 carbine, as it cost a whole lot less than the CAR-15 does; so if someone gets it, I'm only out a $169 rifle.

I used to suggest SKS's for "trunk guns" due to their price, but that seems to no longer be the case. We had a gun show here this weekend, and I didn't see one single SKS under $300. They were $59 when I had my license. (Should've bought 20 of them... :headbang: )

Another concern may be that of legal liability. In some (stupid) areas, you can be liable if someone harms someone else with a gun they stole from you. Just something to think about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts