Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been sitting here loading M1 clips while a looong compile is going on the other computer and I'm playing on this one. Tomorrow I'm going to take my friend the Garand to the range and give him a workout. Its a fine old rifle that I trust completely and would rather carry in place of the 11in CAR any day. The only thing I don't like is the spotty availability of quality surplus 30-06. I've been thinking of having him converted to 308 since the cost would be only $250 - $300. Jack (my man-friend) is going with me so maybe I can get him hooked on the Garand also. Think I may carry the Springy 1903 too since he has never shot that either.

I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow and hoping that each of you has a super nice and safe holiday weekend. I'll be thinking of you, GK, every time I make a good hit on the 300yd target.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
The only thing I don't like is the spotty availability of quality surplus 30-06.

Start handloading '06 and see what he can REALLY do. I guess I just have a problem with altering a weapon from its original design.

Fine rifles those Garands. STILL a better battle implement than a gopher gun.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm prairie dog shooting tommorrow

Heading over to a buddies ranch and give em' some exercise with some good friends. I'm going to shoot my flat top AR15 .223 Ackley Improved Match rifle with it's scope mounted, it's a prairie dog murdering machine.

Sunday I'm hosting a rifle shoot and barbeque at my place, it's pretty well an anual event at this point, with a nice 220 lbs hog as the guest of honor. The hole is already dug and every thing is ready. I will probually get looped up a bit dog shooting and don't want to be out in the yard digging a hole with the back hoe hung over.

We like Independence Day around here and try to make he best of it.

Teuf,

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't own a Garand curently but I've been gathering free '06 brass almost everytime I go to the public range.

They have a brass-bucket and I give it a look everytime I go. Got close to 200rds by now I think. All once fired W-W or Remington for the most part.

Don't know how many ranges do this, best time is right after Christmas or before Gun Deer Season.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I checked the zero on my gopher gun yesterday, for the match next weekend, chonoed a couple of new loads in my Combat Commander and shot steel with the Ruger Vaquero.

Today, more steel with the Ruger, and verify my zero on my Gov't model. Tonight I have to clean the Garand I shot last weekend.

Gunkid, what are you going to shoot this weekend?

U

·
0 Posts
Teufelhund:
I know that you can shoot standard 30-30 in a30-30 Ackley Improved chamber(fireforms the brass as Acley);but is that do-able in the .223Ackley cut chamber?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm shootin my Marlin tomorrow (if it's open), and there's no better way to celebrate my nation's birthday than by shooting off an American original, the lever gun:D .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: I'm prairie dog shooting tommorrow

Teufelhund said:
Heading over to a buddies ranch and give em' some exercise with some good friends. I'm going to shoot my flat top AR15 .223 Ackley Improved Match rifle with it's scope mounted, it's a prairie dog murdering machine.

Sunday I'm hosting a rifle shoot and barbeque at my place, it's pretty well an anual event at this point, with a nice 220 lbs hog as the guest of honor. The hole is already dug and every thing is ready. I will probually get looped up a bit dog shooting and don't want to be out in the yard digging a hole with the back hoe hung over.

We like Independence Day around here and try to make he best of it.

Teuf,
Hey Teuf,

Are there a lot of places near you to hunt pdogs? My son and I have always wanted to go pdog shooting, but I never have had the time off to take a trip out west. We've got ground hog hunting around here, but that isn't near the action of pdoggin. How hard is it to find places to hunt?

Sounds like a good Independence Day celebration. Hope it went well.

Mike

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
lug that thing day after day, after day

along with 20 lbs of ammo and 30-40 lbsof OTHER essential gear, and you will <font color=red>[**censored**]</font>can that old clunker after a couple of days, and you will jettison half of the ammo the second day. :) When it's for REAL, weight and noise are BIG issues. If it's just jerking off, pistols suffice, so why bother with the rifle? Practicing with rifle doesn't help you be better with the pistol, or at hand to hand, and you are 20x as likely to need those as to need a rifle (and HAVE one).

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
22 unit, subsonic ammo, QUIETLY deals

with pdogs to 50m, the iron sights on CAR to 125m, the scope to 200m, and lots of missing is done at longer ranges, with ANY rifle or load, given a field firing position (and conditions).

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: lug that thing day after day, after day

223 fan said:
along with 20 lbs of ammo and 30-40 lbsof OTHER essential gear, and you will <font color=red>[**censored**]</font>can that old clunker after a couple of days, and you will jettison half of the ammo the second day. :)
RIKA can get stronger. Gunclod cannot get smarter.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Re: Re: lug that thing day after day, after day

Raider said:
RIKA can get stronger. Gunclod cannot get smarter.

If he notices the few pounds difference between an AR and an M1, M1A, FAL, then he's either

A.) just lying, never has even held one, much less know what carrying one is like, or

B.) is just a weak whiner.

It's like people whining that a .308 kicks too hard when fired through a Winchester Featherweight, but the 7mm-08 is "much better".

.308 = 150-gr @ 2820 fps
7mm-08 = 140-gr @ 2800fps

Those were the loads used, both rifles Winchester Featherweights. Yeah, right.

Like needing a suppressor to control a .22. . .

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
AND 200 rds, u lying punk. 06 ammo is

16 rds to the lb,punk. So 200 rds of 06 ammo weighs 12.5 lbs, punk The garand weighs 10 lbs. The CAR weighs 6 lbs. 80 rds of 223 is 2 lbs. A .22 unit is 1 lb. 120 rds of 22lr is 2 lbs. MOST of the shtf shooting best be done with SUBSONIC 22 and a can on the rifle, dummy. 223 is 40 rds to the lb. So 200 rds would be 5 lbs. 11 lb total, vs 22 lbs. 10 lbs more is a LOT, especially when you are stupid enough to believe it "doesn't matter'. Cause then your NON-GUN" gear will ALSO weigh a pointless extra 11 lbs, and then you end up with 70 lbs, not 50 lbs. No, rika will NOT get strong enough to run with 70 lbs., go prone, run some more, etc, as one OFTEN has to do for combat. YOU can't do it, and she can't even come CLOSE. it's just a pointless, stupid exercise in futility. You aint even fit enough to do it with my 50 lb load, and she'd be lucky to do so with 30 lbs.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
No, no, you lying @ss pirate. See you have to make sh!t up to make it look like you have an argument. All you have is sh!t for brains. taking you 80 rounds of centerfire needed for all of SHTF, that's 5 lbs for the '06 versus 2 pounds for the .223 (using your numbers). Whopping 3 pounds. Yep, you're a wuss if 3 pounds makes a difference.

And you're just making more sh!t up telling us how much our gear weighs. Besides, you haven't GOT andy gear, and you won't even go on a little hike for fear of hurting yourself, so you have no room to run your sh!t hole about what shape others are in.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Oh yea,

Mike in NC said:
Hey Teuf,

Are there a lot of places near you to hunt pdogs? My son and I have always wanted to go pdog shooting, but I never have had the time off to take a trip out west. We've got ground hog hunting around here, but that isn't near the action of pdoggin. How hard is it to find places to hunt?

Sounds like a good Independence Day celebration. Hope it went well.

Mike
Most time Mike, if you are polite, just stopping and asking a land owner will have you shooting dogs. The ranch we were shooting on, had gotten a notice from the state that he was going to be fined if he didn't take care of his dogs. So what are neigbors going to do but pitch in and help out?

There are also many dog towns on public land that anyone can shoot on, just check out the BLM maps, often just asking around will have someone telling you where to find some dogs.

Prairie dog shooting is alot of fun and good practice, they are very small targets and you have to dope the wind and range near perfect to get hits past 300 yards. I was switching between my .223 Ackley Improved flat top AR with a 6X18 VXIII, target knobed, varmint scope and my TBA M40.

JD is on crack if he thinks you can't hit well beyond 200 yards, I had many, many first round hits from 400 to 500 yards. I don't even shoot at them under 300 yards, it's a waste of barrel life and ammo.

If you want to hit them at long range reliably though, with the first shot, you need a detailed ballistic print out that runs in 25 yard incriments and a laser rangefinder. I also use a digital wind meter with a "direction tube" for doping the wind. Most of them aren't any more than 4" wide and 10" tall, not much room for error, since you are shooing pretty close to the cone of fire of the rifle and ammo.

I'm going dog shooting tommorrow, when I get done here I'm going to spend some quanity time with the Dillion.

Teuf,

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
around here, 2" wide and 8" long, of vital zone, is about it.

No, stupid, 200 rds of .22lr and 80 rds of 223. What MATTERS, twit, is the TOTAL load and its EFFECTIVNESS. Because you aint GOT a .22 unit, and 06 AINT our GI rifle rd, u CAN'T conceal a garand, and u aint GOT a suppressor for it, NOR luminous sights, NOR a scope that's worth a crap, u'll MISS more, and NEED to fire more. THAT is why you have to carry 200 rds of 06 ammo, dumm, and why, even with a LOT more of a load, it's a LOT less good a choice for shtf. If you could READ, u'd know that I ALREADY explained all that.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have explained to us time after time that you plan on being on foot and alone for shtf. Most of us have places to go and ways to get there that don't involve walking. Foot travel is a last resort, not the preferred method.

You are free to choose your way to survive; just don't try to force feed your ideas as the best for the rest of us.

RIKA

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thats a hoot, prairie dog "vital zone"

andy said:
around here, 2" wide and 8" long, of vital zone, is about it.
I have to venture, in my humble experience, that even when my shots stray out of the desired "2in. vital zone", my 75 grainers started at 3000fps are pretty damm fatal. Since most everytime, all I see in the scope is prairie dog parts flying about in different directions. I know I'm not cetered up with every hit, we just have too much wind blowing all the time to expect that. I'm a pretty damm good wind shooter, but 2" at 500 yards is less that 1/2 MOA and thats a pretty damm tall order to preform on a consistent basis under field conditions with switching winds and 95 deg temps raising one hell of a mirage. The mirage made even worst by the high magnification of the rifle and spotting scopes needed to see prairie dogs well enough to hit them at that distance.

My oldest boy finds it pretty intresting how the blood spray seems to get caught up and carried in the mirage boil and he uses it as a down range wind indicater. He has learned more on the spotting scope calling the wind and giving me dope changes, than he has behind the rifle this year. Not that he doesn't like his time on the rifle, but he's getting to the point now those 200 and 300 yards dogs are not that much of a challenge, he's all ready a very hard holder. He's staring into the "Valley Of The Rifleman" now and is beginning to understand that long range work is all about the conditions.

This has been a good summer for him, things are starting to click, a few more years to settle him down, and he won't be half bad :cool:

Teuf,

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Come on Gunkid, post a DETAILED list of all your kit!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts