Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Pretty well covers all the bases when wieght and mobility are prime considerations.

Quality AR bulit with good parts, 16" Bushmaster LW dissapator barrel, chome lined to GI spec with 1/9 twist, Accuracy Speaks single stage trigger. The A2 butt stock trap stores cleaning gear and spare parts on the rifle and provides a better platform to shoot from and more durability than the collapsing models. I have a 3X ACOG Compact carry handle mount scope and a ML2 in a goose neck mount for the rifle as well. Just havn't decided which way to go with this rifle.

The G26 Glock is pretty stock except for a Ghost Rocket connector that gives a smooth 3 1/2 pound break and a faster reset than a stock connector. Other than that whats to do? but shoot the hell out of it.

It wouldn't be a complete AR without a .22 LR conversion, the one in the picture has been lightly tuned and runs as close to 100% as anything else.

The knife is my trusty EK Bowie with a Leatherman tool lashed to the sheath.

You have to remember "one is none, two is one" the weapons in the photo aren't my first line SHTF gear. The rifle/.22Lr adapter is my daughters, the G26 my "daily" The real gear shouldn't be in the house IMO. I just put these together for a picture that would be representative of a good LW rig.

Teuf,

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
If it is in the house, better have ANOTHER

somewhere else, in case thieves get it, a fire occurs, or you come hoem to find the BATFAGS raiding the place, or have an incident away from home, and the jbt's WILL get there before you do.

The Glock is no pocket gun. Just because you can STUFF the gun into a pocket does NOT make it adequately concealed there, nor swift to draw from there. The Keltec is considerably smaller and lighter, and it's still no pocket gun, because it's got a double stack mag. That's SILLY. Man, if you need more than 7 rds, you sure need more than a pocket pistol. The Kahr PM 9 is a far better bet, but it's still got that silly DAO trigger pull. I'd rather have a Star DK 380, really, converted to 9x18JB, 50 grs at 1900 fps, than a DAO(left 9x19) If the Kahr is converted to 356 TSW, I'd prefer the Kahr over the Star, but I'd greatly prefer to have a SINGLE ACTION pocket 9, in 9x19. I have no desire whatsoever to "unlearn" the million+ drysnaps, firings, etc, that I have programed into my synapes, using SA rifles, shotguns, and handguns. The Glock offers exactly ZERO advantages to make me want to bother with it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried the Kahrs

I think the Glock trigger function is much better, the pull is shorter crisper with a much faster reset. Just as fast a re-set as most any "steet" 1911.

I'm not overly impressed with pocket carry, I do pocket carry on occasion but wouldn't SHTF. If I have a pack on, pocket carry doesn't work worth a hoot, nor does it work seated in a vehicle or restraunt ect. I have a simple clip-on IWB holster that I've been using and carry appendix.

With a backpack, I like to carry my G26 in a Bianchi "fanny pack" worn above the hip belt of my pack. It works good that way and also carries maps and compass, firestarter and other such stuff you want on your person.

Teuf,

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Backpack doesn't interfere with front

pocket draw in the slightest, unless you either have no hips, or your pack harness is not adjusted properly.

I aint impressed with the Kahr, either, but at least it's a single stack, and it's considerably slicker into and out of a pocket than any Glock will ever be. I aint bothering with guns for BOTH ccw and shtf. One is going to do BOTH.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have much for "hips"

I just wasn't cut out for child birthing, I'm 6'1", 190 lbs and run with my cross-country runner daughter 3 times a week. I need the days off, she runs 5 days a week.

Teuf,

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Here's the current bang stick I keep handy for general amusement and whatever else may happen.

It's a forged lower with a flattop and an ARMS #38EX rail with a flip up, A2 compatible rear sight. The pic doesn't show the sling I normally keep on it. The barrel is a 1:9 Bushmaster 16" chrome lined 'Superlight' (lightweight A1 style profile).

The stock is a CavArms A1 length buttstock and M4 handguards. The color is what they call 'coyote brown' (what people used to call 'khaki'). I like the fixed stock better than a folder. It's way tougher, more comfortable, and it holds the necessary cleaning gear, spare parts, and extra batteries for the optic. The pistol grip is a Houge.

I prefer to carry the older style cleaning rods instead of the new style cable type cleaners since you can use them as a ramrod to get out a stuck casing if you have to.

The optic is a BSA red dot. I was thinking of getting an Aimpoint CompM2, but so far the BSA has turned out to be a surprisingly good optic. It's small, light, and really nice to use. I like it.

Since the BSA costs 1/10th what a CompM2 costs, and it weighs almost nothing, you can just get a spare optic and keep it in your ruck, which is what I did. It lasts a long time off of a battery and I haven't been able to break it yet. You also can flip up the rear and use the irons without taking the optic off. The scope covers are Butler Creek.

I have a set if Trijicon green tritiums I keep in the buttstock (the CavArms buttstock has more room in it than an issue A2 buttstock) but I have't put them on since while I use the optic, in low light conditions the tritium front post messes a bit with the aiming with the red dot, it distracts the eye and interferes with rapid target acquisition, so I leave them off.

Here's a pic of the Ciener pouch I keep on my LBV. It holds the Ciener unit and one 10 round mag. When the Ciener is in the rifle, the neoprene padded pouch securely holds the rifle's 5.56mm bolt carrier assembly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice rig Rostov

I want to build a flat top shorty but seem to have better luck finding A2 carry handle uppers on the used market. My favorite AR optic is the 3X ACOG compact model and it screws right to the carry handle, it's about as low as you can go in that mode.

The Aimpoint sight in the forward GI issue goose neck is slick, but I think I'm going to stick with ACOGs, the extra magafication and the reticle are a big hep shooting past BSZ. The down side to the Compact ACOGS is the field of view. Trigicon really needs to build a IER "Scout" scope that is ACOG tough.

At some point I would like to build a rifle with the Bushy "Super Light 16". I found the barrel on my daughters rifle at a gunshow NIW for half the price of new and decided it was time to give the "Dissapator" style a try. The Bush pre-ban base rifle had a 20" heavy barrel on it when it was bought, in the HBAR fashion. It shot well enough but the HBAR configuration is just too damm heavy for a AR.

The case for your Ciener is excellent, I like the compass/bandage case mag pouch.

I carry my Ciener in a GI LW bi-pod case in one of Brownells cut to length part tubes wrapped in OD duct tape for a liner. The mag was always a problem for me and generaly rode around in a pocket. Now I have been corrected and know what to do. :cool:

Teuf,

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been a 1911 shooter for many years and still have several

TODD 3465 said:
I recently got a Glock 26 and the accuracy is very impressive for a compact gun.:cool:
But the Glock has some definete advantages. The accuracy of the G26 is something I never expected either from a "pocket pistol" mine just loves PMC ball and it's not hard to keep most of a mag on a silluette at 100 yards from a improvised rest.

The other thing that strikes me is lack of recoil, even with the hottest of +P ammo it's easily controlled. Very nice in a ten shot pistol that wieghs 26 oz. loaded.

Teuf,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts