Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the extra bulk, wt and cost. Not for this area. I'ts not that cold here, that often. I'll take an extra 1-2 of the 55 gallon drum liners instead. The regular size trifecta 2go system bivvy is much too small for me, so it does into the wife's BOB. We can zip them together and share body heat, which is worth 20F degrees or so. The extra bags are more versatile than the bivvy. It only costs me about 10F degrees of warmth and I can make that up by stuffing the liners with debris, getting inside of them and taping their mouths.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the extra bulk, wt and cost. Not for this area. I'ts not that cold here, that often. I'll take an extra 1-2 of the 55 gallon drum liners instead. The regular size trifecta 2go system bivvy is much too small for me, so it does into the wife's BOB. We can zip them together and share body heat, which is worth 20F degrees or so. The extra bags are more versatile than the bivvy. It only costs me about 10F degrees of warmth and I can make that up by stuffing the liners with debris, getting inside of them and taping their mouths. Or, if I can't get dry debris or if the debris is too full of insects, mold, etc, I can just put the two drum liners around the outside of the bivvy and tape the joint. The breathable mylar keeps the condensation away from me. Saves me 1.5 lbs, costs me a few nights of discomfort. I"ll either be hiking at night or i'll be digging a hole and lining it with debris. I can always smoke out the insects or dry out the debris with hot rocks, if need be and staying in place long enough to make doing so worth my while. Now that i've thought of the PEVA shower curtain idea, clamped around the open end of the bivvy, that's what to do for temps below -10F, using the one way projected heat of a 3-log Siberian fire lay, 'aimed" at the PEVA from a safe 5 ft away. 10F is might cold for this area. Virtually nobody will be out in such cold, especially not at night. It's too hard on the batteries for the optical sights and the night vision.

So it's 2 lbs of "extra" clothing, 1.5 lbs for the Trifecta xl bivvy, 12 oz for the drum liners, half a lb for the 2 full body bugnets, a lb for the net hammock. and its straps. 1/2 lb for the stakes, guy lines, ridgelines, tarp clamps. 6 1/4 lbs of sleep, shelter, clothing, besides the cammies and cap. Wearing the bags and the bivvy spares me the weight of heavy clothing. The drumliners are very thick, tough plastic, much more durable than typical garbage bags. The latter are a joke. They are ruined in just 2 nights of sleeping on the ground with them.

Given the tape, it's easy to cut one of the extra liners in half and use the halves around each leg and wear the second one over myself as a poncho. They are very big. They are too hot for hiking when so employed, tho. For the times when i"m generating metabolic heat, the 3 liners that are just folded and wrapped around me are the way to go. The gaps in the wraps are enough to let out enough body moisture to be ok and they are adjustable. For sleeping, the great reduction in body heat makes it feaible to have the completely sealed pair of liners around me. Can always vent the set up, wipe down the moisture with my shemaugh, etc.

·
Registered
9,962 Posts
Melvin, you have to get past this obsession with using garbage. How do you plan on bringing your garbage with you? What is you end up in an area with no garbage? Buy something durable! Buy the way it sounds like you have forgotten the great Texas snowstorm already.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Melvin, you have to get past this obsession with using garbage. How do you plan on bringing your garbage with you? What is you end up in an area with no garbage? Buy something durable! Buy the way it sounds like you have forgotten the great Texas snowstorm already.
Just another in a decades-long string of flip-flops. Used to be anyone who didn't go whole-hog buying top end stuff was a lame, a stupe, and half-assed. Now for some reason it's seen as a badge of honor.

...having less than the BEST gear is just plain stupid. Settle for half assed if you want to, but it's stupid to do so.
u wanna settle for less than the BEST gear and skills, go ahead, it's a reflection of your STUPIDITY.
when I see guys compromising on gear, I KNOW that they have ALSO compromised on training and practice.
Kind of like the "I want .300 whisper performance" now becoming "why bother with .300 blackout?", the "alternate softpoints and armor-piercing rounds in your AR and fire a double tap like you're supposed to" now being "I never saw the point of a double tap with a rifle", etc. It's generally a waste of time to look for logic and consistency in a speaker that's been overtaken by ego and hypocrisy.

Am I wrong, John? You did say al those things didn't you? It's okay to admit you were wrong. I've been wrong many times; the key is to accept human fallibility as part of our existence and learn. We only grow and improve by adopting a willingness to learn.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
He'd almost be a shoe in for Trashcan Man in Steven King's -The Stand.
Except he lives out of them instead of setting them on fire.

Oh ROFLMAO I just got a flash image of a perfect avatar image for Melvin even expresses his attitude.
sesame-street-at-50-craft.jpg

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I’d rather use quality gear and only fall back on field expedient gear when forced to. Starting out crippled is a bad idea. I’d rather be comfortable than hope I’m comfortable. Lack of sleep and fatigue brought on by being cold or wet (not even considering hypothermia), renders you less than effective. In the early days of a kinetic situation, you better be 100%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts