Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of $500 or so. You dont need better accuracy than the 1.5" or so groups at 50m that the .22 unit and 223 barrel offer. Also, you have to use a dedicated "carrier' for the.22 upper when using the Ciener 22 unit in it, and when you remove the unit, the springs go everywhere! The .22 unit, used in the 223 barrel, is self-contained, no extra $30 (charged for cutting off the "retainer" end of the bolt guide).

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The sort of targets for which a .22lr is powerful enough, are small enough that a tiny bit of wind, target movement, misjudgement of range = a miss (or a crippled animal) that grouping 3/4" at 50m, as vs the 1.5"-2.0" of the AR .22 conversion unit, is irrelevant. This is assuming that you really can DELIVER 1.5 MOA in the field (ha ha) Maybe, from prone with the bipod, under ideal conditions, 1% of those here can do so, reliably. Bipod use on .22 type game typically means that something is blocking your shot, tho.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Well being that this is Canada, prices are a little bit higher. I paid over $800.00 for my Tactical Solutions dedicated upper. Excellent piece of kit, and I don't have to worry about plugging up my 5.56mm uppers gas tube with lead shavings. Gunkid, that will kill you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know you are too stupid to fire a couple of 223's, for every 200 rds of 22 lr, but I'm not. That blasts clear the 22 fouling, never had a problem, in many tens of thousands of rds of 22, or thousands of rds of 223.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Dedicated upper makes sense to some doesn't for others. I like having a dedicated upper.

YMMV.

Since we routinely get head shots on squirrels, your lack of accuracy claims in the field are interesting. Squirrel head represents about an 1" - 1.5" target under ideal conditions. Since they are up in trees, you don't always have that much to aim at. (or are you saying only ARs are inaccurate in the field? I use my 10/22 for squirrel hunting)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Makes no sense to me.
The expense and bulk of the dedicated upper has few of the advantages of the conversion or simply buying a second piece with a lightweight folding stock.

That said, who hasn't been guilty of buying a weapon just for fun, or "just cuz" no matter no impractical?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I screwed up and bought one, back before I knew better. Trying to get $250 for it, when I paid Keuhl Precision $500, back in 2002!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Makes no sense to me.
The expense and bulk of the dedicated upper has few of the advantages of the conversion or simply buying a second piece with a lightweight folding stock.

That said, who hasn't been guilty of buying a weapon just for fun, or "just cuz" no matter no impractical?
What generally happens, is you realize you have a lower or two laying around that you have not assembled into a gun. Then you realize you have this extra upper. Then you realize you can assemble another rifle.
:)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pitfalls of believing posts by idiots like Garand, and not THINKING for myself, and the maker not TELLING anyone that the unit leaves the bolt spring LOOSE, creating complications when swapping calibers, or swapping uppers. The .22 unit, in 223 upper, is contained, a 1 pc assembly sort of deal.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
The pitfalls of believing posts by idiots like Garand, and not THINKING for myself, and the maker not TELLING anyone that the unit leaves the bolt spring LOOSE, creating complications when swapping calibers, or swapping uppers. The .22 unit, in 223 upper, is contained, a 1 pc assembly sort of deal.
I can only speak from my experience, at least I have some Gunkid! Actually I have found the dedicated upper an excellent first rifle experience for new shooters. They are attracted to the AR image, they can use high capacity magazines and it doesn't cost me a bundle when I foot the ammunition bill. I have also started using mine for rimfire action matches, which means I get even more range time, again with minimal cost. By the way, whats that crap about a manufacturer??

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
About 15-17 years ago, I picked up 200rds of British 5.56mm ammo designed for the SA-80. I decided to give it a try, I ended up with almost 175 I.A's & Stoppages. The propellant that the Brits used was absolutely filthy. Not only that but it didn't have the juice to function the action of a rifle where the bolt weighed more than an SA-80 bolt.

Even after running almost a dozen foot long pipe cleaners down the tube, I still required 10 rds of Canadian military ball run through the barrel before the rifle would work in the semi auto mode.

My decision to go with a dedicated upper is based on personal experience, not a fantasy. It is you money and your choice on which type of .22 conversion kit to buy. I know, that I'm very satisfied with my choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts