Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with a .223 is a fools shot. Only the clumsy or lazy can't get within 5 yards if he is a motivated. Bow hunters do it all the time. Same with man, skill and patience with a 10/22 and subsonic ammo will overcome any clumsy over armed tard especially when that tard is armed with a muzzle heavy prone to jam CAR with a 10 in. barrel and a six inch hunk of usless metal on the end. :nyah:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Jeez, skip the .22. I wouldnt go after a deer like that unless I had to. Anyway, If I NEEDED meat, then i would climb a tree reasonably close to a deer trail; I find it to be a little distasteful, laying in wait, but its certainly easy.
Also, a 10/22 isnt the best survival rifle I can think of; bolt action, while not the best choice for combat, Will take the weather and elements much better than a semi auto will. A .30-06 would also give you a beautiful shot at 150 yards. If its a combat weapon you want, a garand might be a good choice too.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
andy said:
if you want a NOISY, heavy scopeless, pos, that has no hope of ammo resupply, get a garand.
Hey NUTTY JOHN, are you saying that .30-06 ammo isn't made any more?

The only ammo that outsells the .30-06 is 22LR and .30-30. It would be easy to have an ample supply of .30-06 laid by. Some of us already do.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Coyote said:
Jeez, skip the .22. I wouldnt go after a deer like that unless I had to. Anyway, If I NEEDED meat, then i would climb a tree reasonably close to a deer trail; I find it to be a little distasteful, laying in wait, but its certainly easy.
Also, a 10/22 isnt the best survival rifle I can think of; bolt action, while not the best choice for combat, Will take the weather and elements much better than a semi auto will. A .30-06 would also give you a beautiful shot at 150 yards. If its a combat weapon you want, a garand might be a good choice too.
Your wrong Coyote. Have you ever heard of staking and bullet placement? I have a highschool classmate that was a Colville Indian Reservation game warden for 22 years, before moving into the Colville Indian Judicial system.

The only thing he ever used to take a deer with was a Marlin model 39. He would get in close, wait until the butt of an ear was exposed, then take his shot. I saw him do that many times, as we hunted together for years.

It pays to have well connected friends. I am probably the only white guy, in fifty years, to hunt on the 1.3 million acres encompassed with in the bounds of the Colville Indian Reservation.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Nahhhh do like andy sez and convert thst useless ole garand into a 356 TSW as it is the Uber cartridge.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Haha, I stand corrected. A .22 is certainly an excellent tool for gathering food, but for big game like deer, Its not my first choice.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Oh hell, all you need to stupekid is a 3 ft, 6 inch wide hole in the ground with a 6" dia. pvc pipe with nailes driven into the side. Rusty nails with dog shit on them. Just put some camo like sticks and leaves over it. Stupekid at night would just walk and step into the hole getting those rusty nails all in his legs.

You could hear him hollar and cry miles away. Don't even need to be near by. He would die alone from one of many diseases that stuff would give him.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Coyote said:
Haha, I stand corrected. A .22 is certainly an excellent tool for gathering food, but for big game like deer, Its not my first choice.
The 22 LR wouldn't be my choice either, unless you could stalk like my friend could. I learned from him, and does it ever work.

The secret of the whole thing is to get in close and wait for the right moment to properly place the bullet.

If you were hunting with an elephant gun, and shot the deer in the tail, all you would have is a dear without a tail. Proper bullet placement works every time with the 22LR on deer, and only at the butt of the ear.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Believe me man, i understand bullet placement. No need to explain it to me. Anyway, Im damn good when it comes to tracking and stalking, I've taken my share of food. Scopes arent my thing at all, and I use a .30-30 with open sights for whitetails so I try and get as close as I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts