Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Dented Shell Casing

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  andy 
#1 ·
I purchased a LLama Maxi-I .45 ACP pistol. The problem I have is the shell casing upon being ejected after firing, has a crease/dent on one part of the mouth to the case. If I threw away the casings it would be no problem, but I save them for future reloading and even though the reloading dies get some of them round again, some cases are not. Is it an ejector problem, or slide spring? What causes the case to be deformed? Thanks.

#2 ·
1911's do this, because the ejection

port is too small, and not "flared" at its rear, the way the Gold Cup's port is treated. It can also be helped or hindered by different ammo, stronger or weaker recoil springs or extractor tension, and by a longer or shorter ejector-nose. Use a round of hardball, and maybe needle nosed pliers first, to swage open the case, before resizing it, and it will be ok.

#3 ·
Be careful when tweeking that brass with pliers. Dented cases are weakend at the point where they were deformed. Inspect any brass you have done this to VERY carefully after resizing, it may split or crack at that point.
Be very careful accepting reloading instructions from people you don't know. They bear no responsibility to any accident you might have from following poor advice.

#6 ·
The H&K 91 is notorious for beating the hell out of brass when it is ejected upon firing. I have reloaded those cases (.308), several times afterwards and not had a problem with them at all. I suspect they are weakened at the dent, simply because the brass is flexed more than the rest of the case, so prudence in inspecting those cases after every use would be a good idea.

#7 ·
so WHO said he's loading them "hot"

or doing anything but practicing with them, hmm? Use virgin unprimed brass for serious loads. I've cracked hundreds of .45 ACP cases over the years, and know scores of guys who've done the same, without any incident whasoever. What are you old grannies so scared of, hmm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.