Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I may be over-reacting here, but since this has been a rare occurrence in my firearms experience, I thought I'd ask...

This weekend I had to do some rearranging of my safe. I propped up my Savage 10FP-LE2 and my Arsenal SA M7 Carbine AK against the inside of a trunk with the rifles resting against the inside of the open lid, and the rifle's butts resting on the floor of the trunk. The Savage has not been scoped yet (I was moving it to the front of the safe for easy access in order to have it scoped).

Of course, the gremlins caused the 26-inch heavy barreled Savage to tip over, knocking over the AK and causing both to bang into the outside wall of the safe. The AK's front sight "ear" banged into the safe, chipping the paint on the safe but apparently just scuffing the AK's front sight. The AK's front sight post was well protected and did not hit anything. I couldn't see another scratch anywhere.

The Savage, on the other hand, struck the safe by the front edge of the barrel first, chipping the paint on the safe. The finish on the Savage wasn't even scuffed here, but I did notice a couple of new scratches on the barrel and receiver where it slid against either the trunk lid's brass trim or the AK. The barrel's crown never got anywhere near hitting anything. As I stated, the rifle hasn't been scoped yet, so this is not a consideration.

Neither rifle clattered to the hard concrete floor, but came to rest against the brass trim of the inside of the trunk. Neither rifle's action or receiver were in a position to have struck anything, and in fact, were stopped from hitting anything by the rim of the trunk striking the barrels instead. My only concern is the potential damage done by the barrels striking the heavy steel safe.

I know that weapons like the AK are made to be banged around in combat, and I know that the heavy-barreled Savage is made to be a "sniper" rifle and therefore more rugged than a standard weight barrel.

But, does the fact that I don't see any damage mean I narrowly missed a catastrophe and should stop worrying, or should I be concerned that I may have potentially damaged the accuracy potential of the Savage?

In a nutshell, am I unnecessarily afraid that my rifles are more "delicate" than they really are, or have I maybe really screwed things up?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Doesn't sound like you should have caused any real damage, but I guess you need to shoot them to make sure. Remember, these things are shipped to dealers via UPS, so they are NOT handled with kid gloves all of the time. They have to be a bit robust in order to survive the trip from manufacturer to end user.

I wouldn't worry about it, if it were me, but now when you have a bad day of shooting, you can blame it on an intermittent problem caused by that incident. ;)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
u have too many longarms, dude. :) It doesn't take many to become a pita. Instead of getting caught with nothing but a heavy, slow assed bolt action, or a heavy, slow assed, short ranged AK, consider having an AR that has 500m of reach, and is also swift to get the hits with, either the first one or the 20th one.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
andy said:
u have too many longarms, dude.
BLASPHEMER!!!! :dgrin:

ANDY said:
Instead of getting caught with nothing but a heavy, slow assed bolt action, or a heavy, slow assed, short ranged AK, consider having an AR that has 500m of reach, and is also swift to get the hits with, either the first one or the 20th one.
Even those of us who primarily carry a CAR-15 don't have to reflexively shun other guns. I have an AK and a Savage 10FP-PE myself; neither one detracts from the capabilities of the AR's.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
sure they do, if you practice enough to be really good with them, there's no time and money left to be really good with the AR, the pistols, and the hand to hand.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I doubt, from your description, that those guns were damaged in any way that would effect how they shoot.

As for the comments about wasting time with them, not being able to shoot enough to become a good shot if you have more than one rifle, etc. - well just bring out the violins please....

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
yeah, says a fed who draws our tax money as salary, while he posts on the Net all day.
As posted by someone that we are picking up the tab for, living on SSI. A clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Maybe you should consider stand up comedy GunKid - you post some of the funniest stuff I've ever read.

:devil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts