Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reminds me of Catholic School. Those Nun's would hurt you. Actually, Rich Z is right, we go a little overboard with J.M. Davis. I'm as guilty as anyone. He get's me going, but I should know better. I've dealt with this type all my adult life. He know's I love Dog's so he brag's of killing them. I was really feeding into his game. No more name's or belittling from me. Just one last shot. My friend, a GS-12 U.S. Marshall. said his timer was on, and it was 2.71 seconds.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Terry, I've tried the route of letting people have free rein on what they want to post, and that just didn't seem to work. Believe me, I have better things to do then to play "school marm" here. But one thing I do NOT want this site to become is the place that the anti-gun forces come to look at the gunnut monkeys in the cage to point out how we act and treat each other in a public forum. In such a case, I think this site would be doing us all much more harm then good.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Rich Z said:
Terry, I've tried the route of letting people have free rein on what they want to post, and that just didn't seem to work. Believe me, I have better things to do then to play "school marm" here. But one thing I do NOT want this site to become is the place that the anti-gun forces come to look at the gunnut monkeys in the cage to point out how we act and treat each other in a public forum. In such a case, I think this site would be doing us all much more harm then good.
If you really want to avoid giving the Anti's any ammo, so to speak, then we need to axe all the posts about shooting dogs that Andy / 223 fan has posted.
If you don't think they'll make hay out of shooting puppies and killing the family pet, then you are mistaken.

Ditto for the wrecking the economy stuff. These are "nutjob 101" postings at best.

Although, the way we beat up on those types of posts does demonstrate that the majority doesn not go for that kind of thing. (but you can bet that those posts will not appear in any discussions of how evil gun owners are.)

:devil:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
No offense Rich, but Aslan is right. OK, maybe we shouldn't have jumped on him like we (including me) did, but I have yet to be convinced of that..

However, I do think that rather than trying to come down on how we react to it, because that might make the site look bad to the anti's, I think it'd be better to deal with the problem, rather than the symptoms.

I do think his CONSTANT posting about bringing down the government, killing people to steal their kit and eat them, how to poison children, how to commit terrorist acts (sabotaging nuclear reactors, etc), constant death threats, constant challenges to the death, etc, ad nauseum, makes this site look far worse than anything we could say in response would.

Also consider this, have any of us who pound him into the ground ever reacted to ANYONE but him that way? No, our responses to him are not the problem, he is the problem. And our not responding at all to him will not stop his posting, it's been tried before. There is a reason EVERY other (except one, where his wife once dwelt) forum bans him upon recognition.

One otehr forum (on AIMOO) where he was given MOD powers and any dissention toward him was strictly enforced ended up in a dead forum with no posters.
Funny thing is, he wasn't even allowed to post on his wife's forum. That's got to tell you something.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Almost every one of us on occasion has encouraged him to act like a human being and drop the tough con act. We have complimented him on intelligent posts and even commented favorably when he posted his reply without an insult. Nothing seems to get through to him. How do you get around that?

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Raider said:
Almost every one of us on occasion has encouraged him to act like a human being and drop the tough con act. We have complimented him on intelligent posts and even commented favorably when he posted his reply without an insult. Nothing seems to get through to him. How do you get around that?

RIKA
Easy. You ignore him. Why is that so tough to do? If you engage in a tussle of words, you just egg him on for more of the same.

Personally, I don't care if someone posts explicit directions on how to build a cigarette pack sized nuclear device. That is freedom of speach and the written word being put into practice. If the anti-gun faction has a problem with this, then so what? I really don't care about that aspect of the posts being made here. My line is drawn at the derogatory statements between members here. THAT is what makes us ALL look bad, not just the one person who may be posting those messages you all have problems with. You all can disagree all you like, but keep the wording civil and it will keep YOUR posts from being edited to comply or deleted outright. That goes for everyone.

Just because I may disagree with what someone says does not mean I should play "the heavy" and delete the posts and/or ban them. If someone NEEDS that aspect from a forum admin and mods, then perhaps this is not the place for you to hang out at.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
OK, I'm slow.

So him coming up with the best way to poison kids and kill people for their kit and to eat them is OK, but calling him names (no matter how factual they may be) is not?

Or did I misread you?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Magnum88C said:
OK, I'm slow.

So him coming up with the best way to poison kids and kill people for their kit and to eat them is OK, but calling him names (no matter how factual they may be) is not?

Or did I misread you?
If that is what he, or anyone else, wants to talk about, I don't have a problem with that here. Just about everything posted in the SHTF forum is hypothetical anyway, so how would those topics differ?

What sort of "factual" names have you seen that have been edited or deleted from this site? Names that cannot possibly be accurate, in a literal sense, will be classified as being derogatory.

We have already been through the stage where I let everything be fair game and got a bunch of gripes about that. Do you want it to go back to that?

If you inferring that I should go and ban Gunkid/andy/223fan and delete all his messages because of some running feud he has had with some people here, forget it. I am judging people by what I see here and here only. So if I delete andy for his verbal mannerisms here, then most of you, from your actions, would be gone as well. Someone calling someone else an a$$hole does not grant the respondent permission to return fire with the same sort of derogatory invective. BOTH will have their messages treated in the same manner.

Are you still misreading me? :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Rich Z said:
If that is what he, or anyone else, wants to talk about, I don't have a problem with that here. Just about everything posted in the SHTF forum is hypothetical anyway, so how would those topics differ?

If you inferring that I should go and ban Gunkid/andy/223fan and delete all his messages because of some running feud he has had with some people here, forget it.

Are you still misreading me? :)

Not inferring anything, I wanted to make sure I read you right. Seems I have.
Message received. 10-4 Over and out and all that.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well I'm glad I went to this thread.

To keep it short: As I've said before tolerating Melvin here is gonna ruin the place. If you think you can prevent it by just stifling what most consider proper replys to his dreck, in addition to it itself, you are gonna be in for a dissapointment.

This place is already into the next phase of the negative effect Melvin has on a board: More and more of the polite and experienced people leaving a little at a time.

I've seen how F'ed Up a board can get if his crap is tolerated too long; three times so far.

It's your board and this is only my own humble opinion.

·
Registered
720 Posts
HCT had it's "yoyo", whose posts were very similar in verbiage and attitude to ****. I believe it went on for long enough to cause a similar effect as that you are describing, turning a vital, active enjoyable forum into...something else. I hope it can come back, as I hope Armslocker will endure and then recover from this hiccup. If some folks live to flame on the net, there are plenty of boards that support it. But I choose not to go there and, on the boards I frequent, choose to show my displeasure of said behaviour in my responses to it. I do not initially "go there" in any thread, but the ludicrous nature of some individual's posts require an appropriate (if not pc) response. I have no problem if moderators treat people equally, even when some rudely bait and some who are baited rudely rise (or sink) to the challenge. It is their board and they will run it as they see fit, but if the neighborhood goes downhill, people eventually leave the neighborhood.
SatCong

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Personally I am of the opinion that once (and if) andy does leave here, so will most of the people who followed him here in the first place in their pursuit of whatever it is they are chasing him around he net for.

Since I don't make a nickle off of this site, I don't see what I have to lose either way except the hope that this would have been an interesting place for me to discuss firearms. As one of the guys who used to work for me used to say "say la vee"..... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rich Z said:
Easy. You ignore him. Why is that so tough to do? If you engage in a tussle of words, you just egg him on for more of the same.

Personally, I don't care if someone posts explicit directions on how to build a cigarette pack sized nuclear device. That is freedom of speach and the written word being put into practice. If the anti-gun faction has a problem with this, then so what? I really don't care about that aspect of the posts being made here. My line is drawn at the derogatory statements between members here. THAT is what makes us ALL look bad, not just the one person who may be posting those messages you all have problems with. You all can disagree all you like, but keep the wording civil and it will keep YOUR posts from being edited to comply or deleted outright. That goes for everyone.

Just because I may disagree with what someone says does not mean I should play "the heavy" and delete the posts and/or ban them. If someone NEEDS that aspect from a forum admin and mods, then perhaps this is not the place for you to hang out at.
I have to agree with Rich on this all the way with every last bit of what he said. It's not the types of knowledge being posted that's a bad thing, it's the bad interaction between posters - the show of civility and maturity (or lack thereof) - that will get the anti's feathers rustled, or even potential members browsing the forum. It's not the knowledge that's in a man's brain that's bad, it is how he chooses to use that knowledge that's bad; intention. We don't judge people for what they know, we judge them for how they use the knowledge they have.

Personally, I have to completely agree with Rich on one other thing, too: Just because someone attacks you verbally, even if it is a personal attack of words, is that a reason to do the same thing in return? Fighting fire with fire has never served a logical function in society - it just doesn't work. It just adds to the already molten temperature of the flames. Do firefighters go around with trucks filled with napalm in order to put out fires?

The person in question has undoubtedly posted a lot of crap on here and started many verbal fights. But, they would never have been "fights" if people did not respond in like fashion. It takes two to tango. Let certain individuals look ignorant and argumentative, let them have the "final word" if that pleases them. It shows all the guests who read these posts just what types of individuals they're dealing with, and will make you look all the better (in everyone's eyes) for letting it go. People look really silly when they are arguing with nobody.

I know that I haven't been here very long at all, and again, my opinion really doesn't matter to anyone. So be it. I just felt the need to chime in on this thread.

-Temujin

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I've posted LOTS of good gun info, 10x what everyone

else COMBINED has done. That's ALWAYS the case, anyplace I go on the Net, if the ******* mods let me post, that is. almost none can HANDLE the truth about their pet pos gun or load, tho, so they get bent out of shape and ban me. :)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
anybody who can READ can SEE who starts and

maintains 90+ % of the gun threads here, and who has NOTHING contribute but bs about ME. :) you ************just don't KNOW enough to do much factual talking about ANYTHING. :)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
else COMBINED has done. That's ALWAYS the case, anyplace I go on the Net, if the pos's mods let me post, that is. almost none can HANDLE the truth about their pet pos gun or load, tho, so they get bent out of shape and ban me. :) anybody who can READ can SEE who starts and maintains 90+ % of the gun threads here, and who has NOTHING contribute but bs about ME. :) you sorry assed lames just don't KNOW enough to do much factual talking about ANYTHING. :)
And that is the problem. In this dual thread andy called the mods "pos's, the guns "pos's" and everyone involved "sorry assed lames". If you didn't know, a "lame" is prison slang for a passive homosexual.

Great way to win friends and influence people.

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Andy, it's not the information you post that is causing your posts to be deleted and getting you banned, it's your delivery. NO one likes to be called names and it just puts them on the defensive and then immediately into an offensive mode right back at you. So what is accomplished? Even if you posted the secrets of the universe people will not WANT to believe you because of your attitude. To GET respect, you have to GIVE respect.

Just because someone disagrees with you is no reason to be derogatory. Everyone will have their own opinions and viewpoints, and they are just as welcome to theirs as you are to yours. Everyone does NOT have to be exactly identical in their viewpoints because they certainly are not identical in their experiences. And yes, sometimes you WILL be wrong. There is nothing at all wrong about that at all. It just means that you made a mistake and now have an opportunity to learn something new to correct it. What is the big deal about that?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I've posted LOTS of good gun info, 10x what everyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

else COMBINED has done. That's ALWAYS the case, anyplace I go on the Net, if the ******* mods let me post, that is. almost none can HANDLE the truth about their pet pos gun or load, tho, so they get bent out of shape and ban me. :)

So tell us Andy, has any moderator, or has Rich Z ever deleted one of your posts that contained ONLY good info on this site? Or was it that your posts were pulled or edited beccuae of the often obnoxious wording you use? For instance you have chosen to again be disrespectful in the quoted post, and in another post both within this thread. Not only are you being disrespectful but you do it with language that is not befitting this site, nor is it befitting a talk about firearms in my opinion. That is why your posts are pulled or deleted, not because as you believe that you are showing people up with your knowledge.

As a matter of fact, your knowledge is fairly limited as I see it regarding many aspects of what you write about concerning firearms. Of course it is not as limited in other areas. However, your leaving posts that reflect your limited knowledge while at the same time trying to show you as the resident expert, only go to show that others have as much or more knowledge than you do in whatever area is any particular post like that which you make. Sure you have knowledge on a variety of gun and ammunition issues, but so do others and some others may sometimes, even quite often, have more than you. This is the thing that you seemingly cannot not accept, and I figure also may be the reason you give your often nasty answers. People are apaprently showing you up, and you either react to that showing up by being nasty or you try to do a premptory strike (so to speak) by being nasty in the first place. Those people probably would not try to show you up had you not been nasty in your posts in the first place. Rather they would have nicely discussed the issues with you. So as it stands we have a lot of immature postings. The thing is though, in my opinion, that sooner or later the people who are acting more mature will win out over those who are, also in my opinion, acting less mature - like you.

If you ever decide to just post what you know, then allow others to discuss it without you calling them names, and whether or not they agree or disagree with you, well then and only then you may actually start to receive the respect and credit for which you seem to strive. It will not happen overnight because you have seemingly made a lot of enemies through use of your, in my opinion, crude style, but it can happen if you work at it long enough. If you do ever work at it long enough, and really change your style and accept that others are also in the know, or that you are not the all knowing, well then maybe you won't find yourself always being banned or edited heavily at the forum sites which you join.

·
Registered
720 Posts
What strikes me is that tiny never asks a question that shows he is indeed human and not omniescient. I know what I know, and know what I don't. So, one of the big reasons I join a board is to ask questions, satisfy my curiosity and increase my knowledge. As a part of the human condition we are ALL ignorant about some things, and can be schooled and receive said teachings without injury to our ego, but in the spirit of learning and sharing good info/experiences.
This seems to be the single salient difference 'twixt he and us. The ability to hang-up our egos at the door and approach the forum with a child-like heart--open to learning and not dependent on being the shooting-god who is all-knowing and beneficent enough to dispense this diety-born knowledge to all the "lessers".
SatCong

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yes, most normal folks seek to both learn or re-learn certain things.

Yet others seem to not want to know anything else but what they remember. A friend of mine coined a phrase for that kind-"Proud to be Stupid."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts