Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Or try working inside of the tent or lean-to, with a fire, while WEARING a sleeping-bag. ever try hiding from IR or thermal-seeking electronics, by using a regular sleeping bag? Dumbasses "think" a 4 lb, bulky, ONE use item belongs in the BOB. :)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Hmmm. If your sleeping bag will reflect sunlight then it will do so when you DON'T want it to. Doesn't seem like such a good idea. Of course you, have a 160 IQ (idiot quotient) will cleverly cover it over with a sturdy black trash bag, right.

As for WEARING a sleeping bag, I really suggest a muu-muu (sp?). Its much more comfortable and more fashionable. Goes well with your high heel hiking boots too. :D

As for infra-red and thermal, I really don't think they will be much of a threat during shtf but understand that are ways of confusing/defeating the system without having to seal yourself in mylar.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
If you've got a fire and a lean-to, why would you be working inside a sleeping bag?

You were just shown a bag that weighs 2 lbs and rolls up to be the size of a softball. Though its rated to 20, I'll bet its comfortable to 40. That's still better than having to deal with pissing about with lean-tos and fires all night.

So much for that bulky item.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
:) Or try working inside of the tent or lean-to, with a fire, while WEARING a sleeping-bag. ever try hiding from IR or thermal-seeking electronics, by using a regular sleeping bag? Dumbasses "think" a 4 lb, bulky, ONE use item belongs in the BOB. :)

Well, when it's 'one' use is to allow you to sleep at night and to keep from freezing to death, then yeah, it belongs in the BOB.

You think your 'space blanket' will keep you from military IR when you are in the woods? Not nowadays it won't.

Your post shows an utter lack of experience in the woods.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
One function, true, but that one function provides warmth and shelter a third of your life in the woods, (and the most vulnerable third, at that) which is IMO important enough to warrant consideration. I can't think of any other item, other than clothing or the pack itself, that would be used anywhere near as much of the time.

I don’t carry a sleeping bag; instead I carry: a one-man 3-season tube tent, insulated coveralls, and extra clothes, and my kit is meant for short-term use, not long-term nomadic living. If it were meant to be a “bug out” kit for heading for the hills long-term, a sleeping bag would almost certainly be included.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Gunkid, what do you mean by working inside a sleeping bag? Are you playing with your johnson again?

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
In arctic conditions, an insulated tent heated by 2 single burner Coleman stoves can keep the temperature at a very comfortable +20F. You use 2 stoves, because one will still be working while you refuel the other OUTSIDE THE TENT! I'm interested in this "working " thing inside a tent. Normally we only discussed the days problems, solutions, ate, shaved, washed, changed clothes and slept in the tent, as we were exhausted from humping all day or preparing for sentry duty or stove watch throughout the night. The last man on stove watch was required to have both stoves fueled, coffee on by 60 minutes prior to standto. Standto is 30 minutes before first light. Oh ya dipstick, since you never been up that early, the time of first light changes as you move through the seasons. Its a real good idea for the 2 people on duty to have a watch!

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
By the way, only an idiot would light a fire INSIDE a tent!! If you didn't burn the tent down you could die from smoke inhalation.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Raider said:
<snip>

Of course you, have a 160 IQ (idiot quotient) will cleverly cover it over with a sturdy black trash bag, right.
I always wondered what IQ meant, now I know. Hooray for RIKA. :laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01:

As for WEARING a sleeping bag, I really suggest a muu-muu (sp?). Its much more comfortable and more fashionable. Goes well with your high heel hiking boots too. :D
High-heeled Hiking Boots? Is NUTTY JOHN'S other life style showing through? :laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
DJetAce said:
Gunkid, what do you mean by working inside a sleeping bag? Are you playing with your johnson again?
NUTTY JOHN still has his JOHNSON? If has one, it isn't his!

Hey JOHN, did you save that JOHNSON from one of your cannibalistic forays?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Kifaru makes some cool stuff.

If you cannot carry the weight of the setup below, then you are a wimp.

Kifaru 'ParaTarp' pitched with the 'ParaPoncho' used as a vestible, and the optional wood, grass, and cowpie burning 'ParaStove' kit. Available in military colors.

ParaTarp dimensions

Weights:
Paratarp (locally made poles) - 11oz
Peg & Pole kit - 1lb 2oz
(Paratarp with Peg & Pole kit - 1lb 13oz)
ParaPoncho - 10oz
ParaStove (includes 48" stovepipe) - 2lbs 5oz

Total:
Without Peg & Pole kit - 4lbs 5oz
With Peg & Pole kit - 5lbs 7oz

ParaTarp pitched with a locally made pole.

ParaPoncho (designed to be used as a poncho, vestibule, and quick-use bivy shelter)

ParaStove (far left)

The stove pipe rolls flat

ParaStove dimensions

For traveling with a vehicle, with horses, or with multiple people to spread the gear out with, the Kifaru Tipis look pretty nice.

Kifaru Tipi with stove (in sizes from 4 to 12 man and also available in military colors)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
Of course you, have a 160 IQ (idiot quotient) will cleverly cover it over with a sturdy black trash bag, right.

As for WEARING a sleeping bag, I really suggest a muu-muu (sp?). Its much more comfortable and more fashionable. Goes well with your high heel hiking boots too. RIKA :)

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
I stand corrected mike, very interesting piece of kit. I buy "Backpacker" magazine every month trying to stay on top of new kit that comes out, but I don't ever recall seeing this mentioned. But somehow I don't think that Gunkid had this tent in mind when he was talking about starting a fire in the tent.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
He was thinking of maybe starting a fire in regular tent the way you would in a buffalo hide or heavy canvas tipi. Not that good of an idea.

With these, the fire is in the stove and is contained and controllable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts