Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I've only been here for a day, so my word doesn't really matter to anyone. However, there are two things I've noticed about this forum right off of the bat. Here they are:

1: There are a few extraordinarily knowledgeable people here. Those people who are in the know share their knowledge freely and without a high-and-mighty opinion of themselves. That is a real rarity these days. This forum has a great chance of becoming the best forum of its kind.

2: There is too much defamation here and not enough dissent. That leads me directly into my sole point with this thread...

Dissent is fine and usually welcomed by most everyone. It is by that in which we learn things most of the time --civilized debates. Defamation is not right and rather childish.

I realize we all have very strong opinions on certain things. I sure as heck know that I do. That doesn't mean I am too old to learn and accept the fact that sometimes (a lot of the time) I am wrong, or perhaps my opinion is not "wrong" per say, but that other people just have opinions that differ from mine. That is no reason to attack one's character. That's a reason to start asking questions, i.e., why is it that the other person thinks this way about whatever topic. I'm also not too young to realize that people who have been around on this earth 20 or more years than I have been may just know a bit more than myself. To think otherwise is not only childish, but illogical. Why?

Because no matter how much "more" I think I know than someone 20 years older than me -- that individual can undoubtedly teach me at least something. Most of the time you'll find that you do not necessarily know more than someone else, you just know different things, especially if both individuals are experts.

In any area of speciality there will be educated idiots and non-educated geniuses. It also works in reverse.

-Temujin

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Temujin,

The problem lies with attitude. Dissent, even altercation works in a positive manner as long as there is some respect. Name calling and attacks ruffles some men's (and women's) feathers and demands response in like kind.

RIKA

1 - 2 of 2 Posts