Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rifle or autopistol. Encourage everyone to do so, too. Not only will you get valuable field experience with your defensive gear, you will have a real bitch if they try to outlaw such guns. Don't sell out to the antigunners, and use bolt actions, levers, revolvers, etc. Once the antis get the autos outlawed, they will come after manually operated repeaters, too, COUNT on that.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Now that I've got my suppressor, the CAR-15 (probably with 60-grain sp) is what I plan to use for whitetail this year, and the same gun with the Ciener unit and subsonics for squirrel & rabbit. The .22 unit with subsonics is amazing with the .223 suppressor; LITERALLY all you hear is the action cycling and the bullet impact, and that's even from the shooter's perspective. A little ways off, and you'd hear nothing at all.

Also figure to try my hand at pistol-hunting rabbit & squirrel if my suppressed Ruger Mk2 comes back in time. I haven't hunted small stuff with a handgun in 25 years or so; might be fun.

Gotta admit, though, I'm considering an adaptor for the .223 suppressor that will mount on my CZ bolt .22 rifle; that would be just plain "silent", with no action cycling at the shot. So I guess I'd be a "sellout" on the assault weapon thing... :D

·
Registered
611 Posts
I agree that "assault weapons":rolleyes: shouldn't be outlawed...but I'm not giving up my Marlin for an SKS.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I'd rather hunt with a good Battle Rifle myself. If I still hunted I would have no problem hunting with either my Garand or my M1A.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I'll hunt with whatever catches my fancy that day. It might be one of the Marlins, might be a Mosin or Enfield, maybe even one of the FALs.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I too hunt with whatever catches my fancy. This time it will be the 45-70 LA.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Its noit bad advice though, hunting with a battlerifle (where legal) for keeping yourself trained if you really think the SHTF is imminent.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Funny thing is, as far as rifles go, everything I own except the 10/22, The Winnie Stealth, and the lever actions is a battle rifle. Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, Springfields are all battle rifles too.

:D

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I've streamlined my once sizeable arsenal so much, the only 'assault rifles' I still have are 5.56mm, all of which are illegal in some places and the caliber isn't legal for hunting deer and larger game in some places.

Where it's legal, I often prefer to hunt with the CAR-15. Other times I'm using a scoped, sporterized 7.62mm Kar98k Mauser.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Deer season is just a little over a month away. I'll take my .30/06 Browning BAR. I used the BSA 7MM Magnum year before last, but it's a little too much for whitetail in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot the #1s, they aren't battle rifles either. . .OK, HALF of what I have is a battle rifle. . .

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I was thinking of trying a hunt with my M44 Hungarian Nagant but about 1 out of 10 shell casings are splitting open lengthwise when I fire it. That has me scared to shoot it more. Then I thought maybe I would use the Yugo SKS, and i still might, but it sure is heavy. I do have a nice marlin 336 in 35 remington and I may try that, but if all else fails it is back to the tried and true Remington 870 Express. Come to think of it, I have made an awful lot of entries with an 870 over the years, always ready to do battle with it if needed.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
If the M44 is giving you problems, I'd go with the 336 myself. Great rifle there.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Glenn Bartley said:
I was thinking of trying a hunt with my M44 Hungarian Nagant but about 1 out of 10 shell casings are splitting open lengthwise when I fire it. That has me scared to shoot it more. Then I thought maybe I would use the Yugo SKS, and i still might, but it sure is heavy. I do have a nice marlin 336 in 35 remington and I may try that, but if all else fails it is back to the tried and true Remington 870 Express. Come to think of it, I have made an awful lot of entries with an 870 over the years, always ready to do battle with it if needed.
Glen, I am not an expert with Mosin-Nagants, but my Brown Bear 203 Grain Soft Points work well in MY M-44. I think it's ammunition rather than the rifle. The SKS will work, too. I shot three deer and my son shot one using a Chinese SKS with 122 Grain Soft Points. The Yugoslavian IS heavier, but I think more accurate. I prefer it to the Chinese.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It don't take all that much to kill a deer. I've taken them with .308s, .243s, .223s, 30/30, and other cals. Simi-auto, lever, and bolt. So this using assault rifles is fine if you want, but it isn't going to train you any better and hitting a deer than a single shot muzzle loader (and I have taken deer with muzzle loaders AND bows.)

I've shot 3 gun matches with AR-15s, NRA national matches with M1A. IPSC with 1911s. SO WHAT.

Reguardless of what rifle or pistol. 'Aim small miss small' is not a hollow statement. A good shot is very dangerious with any gun as long as he/she keeps their cool.

Those that rely on their fancy 11' CAR and can are just makebelive wannabes.

Just become a good shot with whatever you choose for weapons, become well schooled with other common ones, and become street wise. 10x times more important than dreaming of POS cut up Star pistols in cal.s you can't even find!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
One of the reasons I huted almost exclusively with my Rem 870, when I could have used a rifle, was because we use 870s at work. The thing is at work I don't get to shoot live moving targets like I do while hunting, so even if only one shot is fired - it adds to the training so to speak. It also keeps me very familiar with the 870, and gets me used to lugging it around if I ever need to do it at work.

Another reason I used it, more so than the above, is that I would never feel as comfortable if I ever missed with a riflle as I could if I missed with a one ounce slug. The slug will not travel nearly as far as many rifle rounds and therefore there would be less of a chance of hitting someone way off. There were often trespassers on my uncle's farm, and now I hunt public land since he sold the farm. I am nottalking about hitting someone I can see either, as I am fairly certain that will not happen because I am careful before shooting, but rather shooting someone so far off they cannot be seen. I know the chances are small that such would happen, but it is something to consider.

The biggest reason, more so than any of the others combined, is that I wanted to be quite sporting to make it a fair hunt. I have only shot about 8 or 10 deer in many years of hunting. Sometimes I had great shots on does but no doe tag. Other times I had an iffy shot on a buck or doe but would not take it because of the iffiness. Once or twice a great shot on a buck but I wanted bigger (the heck with that now I want venison).

Other times I got the deer to where I wanted them - within 50 yards, and better yet within 35 yards. I like the challenge of getting them that close in before shooting, not because I would not be able to hit them further out, but because of the chalenge and because of a desire for a fair hunt. It is not all that easy getting in deer that close when you hunt on the gorund, but I have gotten them as close as sniffing me from about 2 or 3 feet (no I did not shoot it).

Guess I am getting off topic a bit here, sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Oh yeah, just to be completely honest, a few years I never even saw a deer......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts