Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an interesting question that was only raised in my mind after I read a fairly long piece about what David Crockett reportedly believed on the subject. If the piece is authentic, then it is well worth reading even though pretty long. Take about 5 - 10 minutes and read it in its entirety. Makes me wonder, was there ever anything in the original constitution that authorized the federal government to give away public funds as charity, if not then has there ever been an ammendment the constitution to allow for the government to give away public money as charity?

See the link: http://www.theadvocates.org/library/christian-crockett.html

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Does the Federal Government Have The Constitutional Authority To Give Charity???

No.

They don't have the Constitutional Authority to infringe on the "right of the people to keep and bear arms" though, either. Doesn't seem to mean much.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
No. I agree with John. Both the people in power and the courts trample on the Constitution whenever they feel like it.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Believe it or not, that was the first question that popped into my head whene I heard GW's statement that the U.S. was donating $350 million to victims. Who told HIM that he could give our money away? Where did it come from? Social Security? I fired off a letter to my congressman, I can't wait to hear the response.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Actually, this does fall within the tasks of the State Department. Foreign relations and treaties is one area the Fed Gov is spposed to be involved in.

There's all kinds of treaties about giving aid, etc. (whether or not they should be able to throw our tax dollars at every problem is another issue)

This is way more complex than simply giving money out. (Although it will never pay off the way it is touted...)

Although, I'd like to see us, just once, place a few strings on the $$ and hold everyone accountable.

with a budget in the trillions, aid in the millions isn't even enough to make a dent to our social programs. Kill the funding for NPR and use it to pay for the aid.

Won't happen though.

:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not wondering which branch of the government would handle charitable donations but, what I am getting at is just the question of whether or not the government actually has the constitutional authority to give the public's money as charitable donations. All federal authority is derived from the constitution and maybe some from common law; yet as the farmer pointed out to Mr. Crockett, there was no such authority back in their day.

Is there actually such an authority now? Has the constitution been interpreted, by the courts, to grant this authority or; has there been an amendment to the constitution that allows for it or; was the guy who gave all that crap to Mr. Crockett wrong or; was that whole piece just a bunch of bs? If you have not read it yet, grab a cup of java or a suitable libation, kick back for a few in front of the pc, and give it a read: http://www.theadvocates.org/library/christian-crockett.html

All the best,
GB

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
IIRC from junior high school, treaty obligations supercede even the constitution.

Not positive on that.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The authority to make treaties comes from the constitution; I think...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts