Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the gun is NOT trying to feed an empty case. If an empty is involved in the malfunction, it's NOT a "double feed". Learn basic English, at least.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I wasn't talking about feeding an empty case, just feeding a fresh round on top of an un-extracted case still in the chamber.

This is what I've heard and read of as a "double-feed" for decades.

·
Registered
145 Posts
double feeds.....

Perhaps in the depths of some ballistics verbage, the double feed is two rounds being fed- but I've always had it referenced as a situation where the extractor/ejector fails to clear the just fired case, while cycling, and as the next round(live)is stripped from the mag, the spent case that was not fully ejected,is "refed" simultaneously, which prevents the the intended live round from reaching a fireable chambering. I have seen the "other", ie ,two live rounds only in a few instances with full auto weapons that were using high(30, vs 20,10 rnd)cap mags,always at either the first fired rounds(when fully loaded to cap.), or the last- never in the middle. Our main concern was to isolate and correct the condition( with recoil ops, it was a weaked extractor spring, with the gas, it was mag related)-and regain firing function
ASAP-as shooters,we were more concerned with a weapons ability to FIRE! Verbage be damned!!! That said-is anyone aware of the true, as devised definition- and would it officially apply to both sits?HMMMM....... :scatter:
"All of us are smarter than one of us.."

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Angry Andy doesn't post here anymore since he got his own site up and running.

There's a lot of anger in many of his posts. Many theories as to why, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

I always thought the saying was "none of us is as dumb as all of us" which is a corollary to "never underestimate the power of a large group of stupid people" - my own take includes "especially where politics is concerned".

:devil:

·
Registered
568 Posts
gnslngr said:
Perhaps in the depths of some ballistics verbage, the double feed is two rounds being fed- but I've always had it referenced as a situation where the extractor/ejector fails to clear the just fired case, while cycling, and as the next round(live)is stripped from the mag, the spent case that was not fully ejected,is "refed" simultaneously, which prevents the the intended live round from reaching a fireable chambering.
It all started w/me just wanting to confrim you opinon... two hrs later I finally got my scanner working! Still, the attatched pic is what I would call a "dbl feed".

Seems melvin just HAS to be right to make someone wrong. FWTW. :headbang:
anodes.

eta more op error w/the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, thats a cool picture.

I would call that a failure to eject, which could have several causes.

Regardless, I have heard it refered to a cduble feed on many occasions, and unless your really trying to pick fly shit out of pepper and be arguementative, "double feed" is not a bad description.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
It's still only one live round in the picture.
A rose by any other name...

Still two cases (one loaded, one empty) in the same place at the same time.

Double feed works as good as any other description. It's descriptive enough that you get the general idea without even seeing a picture.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The need to feed.....

Short and sweet-"Bravo, gentlemen!"......A.........n.......d....y.................?
Gotta agree-cool pict!None of mine(double feeds)were this cool, always the old boring sandwich , one over the other, usually with both "noses" tring to sniff the same hole....uh,oh......if it doesn't feed ,while double feeding, would that -be like almost eating???????Double coulda feds??AS for "the masses, and nothing is more dangerous than large groups of stupid people......and politics....".WHO could disagree, um, nevermind......
Dave :hot: :duck:
Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wierd! Never seen anything like that happen except maybe a fired round had a live round dropped on it then stepped on. A "double tap" is when a very modified gun has had the sear (or something else) polished too much and trigger pull/recoil caused the gun to fire twice rapidly before the trigger is released, a very dangerous situation. Looking at the pic says "something isn't right here." The fired round should have been in front of the live one.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
B.FRANKlin said:
Wierd! Never seen anything like that happen except maybe a fired round had a live round dropped on it then stepped on. A "double tap" is when a very modified gun has had the sear (or something else) polished too much and trigger pull/recoil caused the gun to fire twice rapidly before the trigger is released, a very dangerous situation. Looking at the pic says "something isn't right here." The fired round should have been in front of the live one.
Not really. As the slide moves back the spent round hits the ejector and is ejected and then the slide moves forward and strips the next round from the magazine.

But, if the spent round is not ejected, then it, and not the slide strips the next round from the magazine and you get what the picture shows, a spent round behind a live round.

It makes sense when you break it down into the sequence of events....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
double feed means TWO LIVE RDS
Since the gun's bolt/slide is moving forward at the time of the stoppage, it is attempting to re-insert the fired case and a fresh cartridge.

Thus, it can correctly be called a "double feed", even though one of the items being fed is a now empty case.

Now we can go on to more important things, like whether to get fries with that order. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
FEED PICT....

Is the second rounds' bullet pushed back inside the case,...or is there not one in there??? IE, is this personal experience- so you know the operating order , "extracted case does not eject, the next round chambers, and the empty case gets pushed into the fed round"?? OR;..Was this some one attempting to load into an already chambered round-via bolt release?-and the bullet from the second round, just pushed back into its own case?????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts