Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doesnt expand at ALL, because 1 time in 4, the arm or some barricade gets in the way. Toss out proper performance the 3 out of 4 times that you need stopping power, for the 1 time in 4 you need more penetration. DUH. Hey, dummies, 70% of the time, the attacker has NO gun. So his arms aint going to be up "aimed" at you, and YOU won't be "focusing" on any gun. So much for your bullets having to go lengthwise down his arms, or pierce a barrier before hitting his chest.

If I was really worried about penetration, I'd load every other rd some sort of pointed, heavy jacketed ball type of bullet, so that I'd have at least a 50% shot at having real expansion, shock, tissue destruction, with the OTHER rds in the mag. Why have some lame crap that performs like ball, for every rd in the mag? We've got a 100 yd history of ball's being a poor manstopper.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Suppose that we glue a weight to the rear of a lightweight hollowpoint and fire it at its original speed. Does that make the bullet less effective? After all, it still expands and does its job.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Hey;it all matters what you're shooting&what you may have to get throught to achieve a stop.Range,barrel length,bullet type(within JHPs);core construction.Me?When I could in the past I leaned towards middleweights in the caliber at a reasonably brisk velocity.Nowadays.the school of thought seems to be the more pre-fired/expansion weight ,the mor eretained weight.The balance seems(in most cases)to be producing expanding bullets with a solid core/jacket bonding or connection;with expansion being consistant but not TOO rapid.Bear in mind that this would be for the general service&self defense loadings;purpose loaded rounds that expand explosively or pre-fragmented cores are meant to swat someone HARD, at close ranges and stay put in them.
No reason you can't split the difference in th e medium to large caliber envelope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts