Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and weren't using cover. They STUPIDLY just walked up to 4 potentially lethal combatants, who could have ambushed them with ease. Anybody who "thinks" that was appropriate, smart, etc, is a complete dumbass.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
If I remember correctly the shootout took place in an open corral. Also Doc Holiday was with them and carried a sawed off shotgun. Too bad you weren't there to offer advice.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Sometimes, you have to be a man and meet things head on. Back then, the Earps would have lost a lot of credibility if they didn't approach openly and head on.

Reputation meant a whole lot more back then...

:devil:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Lawmen walk into situation that they can easily get ambushed in, and up to (potentially) armed strangers who (just might) like to kill them everyday. It's called their job. Criminals who ambush lawmen had a very short life expectancy back then. It isn't too great now, they just keep it quiet.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I personally feel he was just pissed at my previous posting as it debunks everything that he has been spouting for years. No this isn't classified as a snappy comeback!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
To bad all the Earps didn't have sawed off shotguns. I bet there never would have been a fight if all four of them leveled those scatterguns are the Clantons. Funny how 'someone' here talks about shotguns being toys, but we all know four sawed offs at 10 yards would have frozen the action, then and there.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
If I remember correctly the shootout took place in an open corral.
Actually the gunfight was not in the corral but close to it. The tabloids or pulps of the time gave it that name for the snappy sound.

As far as walking up to potential lethal opponents, law enforcement officers do that every day. They were not walking into a known gunfight, but were as I understand attempting to disarm these folks to abide by a town regulation of no hanguns in town. Sure they may have used different tactical methods, that would have better suited them, such as having more men, more firepower, better use of cover, and so forth. The thing is if you visit Tombstone, AZ you would see that the area was wide open and to approach the Clantons and speak to them (yes speaking to them was part of the job of being a lawman) they had to get in close.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
DJetAce said:
To bad all the Earps didn't have sawed off shotguns. I bet there never would have been a fight if all four of them leveled those scatterguns are the Clantons. Funny how 'someone' here talks about shotguns being toys, but we all know four sawed offs at 10 yards would have frozen the action, then and there.

the FACT is that it was [2] 'CLANS' of SCUMBAGS!

the clantons were 'HUNGOVER'
the earps were still drunk/pumped [coke].....and HAD THE BADGE!!!!!

[DELETED] THANKS.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I've been to Tombstone, several times - interesting place.

Funny how in the movies the streets, buildings, etc always look bigger than they were.

Desolate land down there around the town, but it's a popular retirement spot and the real esate is $20K an acre in some places.

Tombstone was bigger than San Fransisco at one point but the silver mines flooded and they couldn't pump them out. The streets get sink holes every so often from it as the town sits on much of the mines. The town actually sits up on the top of a hill.

There are a lot of reports of hauntings there also. Evidently, many modern homes and buildings are built upon forgotten graves.

The railroad tracks were eventually pulled up and sold to some foreign country and no trains visit there now.

The OK Corral is still there, of course, and there is a small park next to it. On the other side of the park there is a little restaurant where you can get a buffalo meat burger.

·
Registered
397 Posts
brass hammer said:
the FACT is that it was [2] 'CLANS' of SCUMBAGS!

the clantons were 'HUNGOVER'
the earps were still drunk/pumped [coke].....and HAD THE BADGE!!!!!

[DELETED] THANKS.
Got that right. The Earps were no better than the Clantons and McLaurys. They just had Virgil Earp's badge to hide behind. The Earps and Holliday were arrested and charged with murder (accounts say that Tom McLaury was unarmed when Holliday shot him in the back), but they were freed by a judge who was kin to the Earps.

DC

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Not to mention they were advocates of disarmament of the public. Let's see, as a solution to everyone running around with a few yahoos shooting the place up, we're going to make it so no one can carry a firearm, even though the same yahoos are going to shoot up the place anyway. . .Yeah, real winners there.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yeah, funny how the Earp 'gun control' regs didn't include the Earps.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nor did it include Doc.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Whenever I get out that way, which is surely not often, I love stopping in one of the saloons, to have a drink where those gunmen of old drank. My favorite is the one on the left side of the main street (left side as you come into town the main way), I think the Crystal Palace. Same side of street as the entrance to the OK Coral museum/tourist trap.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
hey, i hauled the prefab fire dept./health clinc[v.d clinc] to tombstone in 1998

it was a two piece "frameless affair" extremely over height[16'+] and very heavy! s.e. corner of town [eastern style builders was the mgr.]

that is my only claim to fame with the 'town to tough to die'

i have heard the saloons are quite 'livily' on a saturday night down there!
ALONG WITH THE SHERIFF!

[deleted] thanks.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I'm sure that if the Clantons had M4's with 10" barrels, .22 conversion kits and suppressors, history would have been different.

• Haha
Reactions: BigEd
1 - 17 of 17 Posts