Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to a new location in WA with lots of Martial Arts avalible. I'm looking at Kali (knife stick work), Krav Maga (combat focus, multi attackers, multi enviroments senarios), Muay Thai (striking art with kick boxing, elbows, knees), Baizilian JuiJitsu (ground game) and Aiki JuiJitsu (throws redirects locks) and Wing Tsun (previous experience and balance, flexability).

I'm looking for a fast effective lethal martial art for use in combat. I consulted my freind in MMA and he told me everything but Krav requires alot of time and good instructors. I'd also like to know how effective is Aiki JuiJitsu and does Brazialian JuiJitsu have the same throws, joint locks and redirecting of force as Aiki JuiJitsu? With Wing Tsun being s a striking art and I think I can substitute Muay Thai, Kali and Krav Maga.

Any experience / opinions out there?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post.

Systema is the type of MA I am looking for (in the Krav Maga lane). I have not been able to find any in the area of WA I am going to.

I've refined my search (on the internet at a distance) to about 2 schools that look descent. I modified my search criteria with what's avalible and with my previous experiences (what I personally perceive I could get the most out of to add and improve my existing abilities). Krav and Kali are base, Muay Thai and BJJ are good and WT & Jits Hapkido ect are nice but not essential.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That word and reality generally don't function together.

I studied Aikido at a very difficult school for a while. It has points which can be readily transfered to other disciplines but it's just not effective outside of its assumed parameters. That said there are a few different interpretations of Ueshiba's teachings stemming from what he taught at different points of his life (in general, younger was more of an external/physically applicable martial art, later was more of an internal art).

Aiki-Jujutsu is purportedly a Meji era Daito ryu invention, and considering it produced Ueshiba I'd be slow to assume it's substantially more practical than what said student created. If you did want to pursue it I'd advise making sure the school you're looking into has the appropriate credentials and verifiable teacher-student lineages.

Why not just join an MMA gym, do some fighting, and learn what works for you? At least then you can have reasonable confidence that what you learn is useful because it's not bound by a single style and you wouldn't be surrounded by people acting like robots.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That word and reality generally don't function together.

I studied Aikido at a very difficult school for a while. It has points which can be readily transfered to other disciplines but it's just not effective outside of its assumed parameters. That said there are a few different interpretations of Ueshiba's teachings stemming from what he taught at different points of his life (in general, younger was more of an external/physically applicable martial art, later was more of an internal art).

Aiki-Jujutsu is purportedly a Meji era Daito ryu invention, and considering it produced Ueshiba I'd be slow to assume it's substantially more practical than what said student created. If you did want to pursue it I'd advise making sure the school you're looking into has the appropriate credentials and verifiable teacher-student lineages.

Why not just join an MMA gym, do some fighting, and learn what works for you? At least then you can have reasonable confidence that what you learn is useful because it's not bound by a single style and you wouldn't be surrounded by people acting like robots.
I've got existing skills I'm trying to improve and add to. Thanks for the info about Aiki. It's jibbing with the info I'm getting from others on all accounts.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Wing Tsun can be very good. It will depend a lot on the instructor. But I have always felt it was missing things and was not a complete system.

Kun Tao Silat (if you can find it) is very good. Their focus is on offense more than defense. It is a combat style. It includes ground fighting, joint manipulation, breaks, and punches and kicks.

jiu Jitsu is useful. It's a good balance between karate and judo type ground work. (My description, not a technically correct one.)

I've been doing a lot of Kempo lately. It's a mixed bag for me - I see a lot of good stuff with practical applications, but much of it is hidden in the early ranks. It's there if you know how to apply it, but they don't promote it to low ranks as such. They put a lot of emphasis on continuous strikes and high-low progressions. The theory being the first strike can be blocked, but the second third or fourth one will get through. (strike early, strike often.)

Almost all systems offer something, though I'd avoid TKD - unless you can find one rooted in combat and not tournament show pieces.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Studied Taekwondo for awhile. That Martial Art is EXPENSIVE and more for sport than anything else. Also studied a style of Karate later on. I don't remember what the style was called but I do know it started with a K. A Husband&Wife both taught it. That place was bare bones. They taught strictly Self-Defense only. You got to tet smacked around by Blackbelts after a month of being there. They didn't believe in using safety equipment either.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info.

I took Leung Ting Wing Tsun in Germany on the economy. My understanding was since you needed a police check to take it Martial Arts got into the self defense/fighting/combat techniques right off the bat. They also didn’t seem as into competitions. The instructor was great not only did he put up with my limited German, he knew his stuff, was a good teacher. I learned a lot. Most of all with my previous experience in Jui Jitsu I developed a lot of counters to the moves I had previously relied on. It really was one of those moments that you go somewhere for a reason.
Lately I’ve been taking TKD and have improved my kicks but find the forms and sparing more limiting than empowering. I’m looking at two places around Ft Lewis. If anyone has experience or knows someone/where please comment.
This one I’m looking for me:
http://worldmartialarts.us/
This one more for the family:
www.masterpaema.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts