Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHTF is going to be a trying time for everyone male and female. Think it would be worse among the men - even among friends and family. The younger male challenges the older one. Two men or even two families have severe differences of opinion over division of work, the spoils or almost anything else. It shouldn't happen but probably will no matter how close we are.

I know that the handling of the matter would depend on the circumstances at hand but does anyone have any general rule-of-thumb suggestions for defusing situations when tempers are really flaring - often with families taking sides.

Okay, this is one of my really crazy questions for which there may be no answer until things happen.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
There are too many variables to give a hard and fast answer. If someone is not pulling their weight, they should be shown the door if they can't get it together.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The main criteria is character. If they have good character, you can generally find a way to make it work.

You can train someone with good character, but you can seldom instill good character into someone with training.

No matter how well trained or knowledgeable someone may claim, if they lack character they are utterly worthless in the long run, even if their claims at skill and training are valid.

One sure thing to avoid: There is no poison worse to any team effort than an inflated ego. Inflated egos are a major signal beacon to poor fundamental character, no matter how 'likeable' or competent the person may seem initially.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thr first step is always de-escalation. A calm, firm, reasonable voice and attitude will go a long way. I bounced a bar for almost 8 years, and realized (even earlier, as a PCS Shore Patrolman for a year) that if you have to fight, you have failed the mission. This doesn't mean you don't train for an adversarial situation, it just means you have recognized that we have options. Options+training=good.
SatCong

1 - 4 of 4 Posts