Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine asked for advice on an Elk hunt. He was looking at .30/06 or a 7MM Magnum. Since I have never hunted Elk I thought I would ask for some advice. I have hunted and shot large Whitetail Deer with both, I thought either would do the job. Range is (roughly) about 3 to four hundred yards. What's the better choice? The two Whitetail I shot with the 7MM dropped in place, but the range was less than 200 yards. What do you think? Thanks for any opinions!

·
Registered
145 Posts
30.06/7MM mag

Either will pass the test.7mm will shoot flatter farther.If the shooter can do his part that is... 165-180 grn bullets for the 06, 150-175 grn for the 7mm mag.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I like 7mms. Either caliber will do the job.

With Elk, I tend to go to extremes: either a bow, or a .338wm.

I prefer the bow.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
If he is a handloader, I would be tempted to say the .30-06 because of the larger number of choices of projectiles available. If its factory ammo he is using either choice is good.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Disclaimer - I don't hunt anything near that big, and I've never owned a .30-06 or 7mag either one. (Did used to own a .300 Win Mag, but sold it years ago) But imo, either one would suffice fine if the shooter is up to the shot.

Personally of the two I'd probably go with .30-06, mainly because in our rural area there are a lot more .30-06 ammo choices on the shelves most times.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I settled on the .30/06 long ago for Whitetail Deer. I tried the 7 MM Magnum, the .223, and the old Savage .300. When I shoot a Deer I want it down and not torn up badly. The .30/06 from the Browning BAR or from my Son's Browning T bolt has provided us with Venison every year without fail.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
If he is a handloader, I would be tempted to say the .30-06 because of the larger number of choices of projectiles available. If its factory ammo he is using either choice is good.
I think these days, with the proliferation of 7mms, there is just as wide of a bullet selection available to the hand loader in either caliber.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Well you have at least 70+ choices in .308" projectiles, not counting cast bullets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts