Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know if I am allowed to post about this subject.
but I gotta vent.
You need to speak english to be a US citizen.
you need to be a citizen in order to vote.
So why is there spanish instructions?
I do not get it.
Some people will call me racistfor my post.
Well that is fine.
I am of Filipino, German and SPANISH decent.
I came here as a LEGAL immigrant.
I became an American Citizen.
I came to America to speak ENGLISH and to lead the AMERICAN way of life.
I entered the Army and pledged to protect the American way of life.
I Proudly recite the Pledge of allegance.
I proudly sing the National Anthem in ENGLISH.
If I wanted to speak TAGALOG, I would have stayed in the Phillipines.
If I wanted to speak Spanish, I would have gone to Spain were my ancestry is from.
if I wanted to speak Deutch, I would have gone to germany where my ancestry is also from.
but I did not go to those places. I came to AMERICA. I came to speak ENGLISH.
If I owned a business and I put a sign that says to place an order, you need to speak english.....it is not being racist. I just do not want to learn any other language. My grandmother was smart and knew 7 different languages. I am not that smart. I only know two. I do not want to learn anymore than that.

There is a reason it is called ILLEGAL imigrant.
Immigrants are fine. Illegals are not.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
you know, i'm going to add to this. I'm far from racist and took the time to learn how to speak Spanish fluently... more than some people have done with English after living here for decades.

I don't know about areas where some of the people posting here live, but frequently in places like Tucson, Phoenix, San Diego, etc. there are blocks and blocks of areas with signs and billboards in Spanish. I can see this in districts like Chinatown, but out here it is scattered all over the place. It would seem that this just fosters an "enabler" mentality, taking all incentive away from people who would otherwise have more incentive to learn the language.

what really gets me are when kids who are 12 years old go to my wife's class (she teaches 6th grade) and they have been here their whole lives, yet their parent's don't speak English. The parents not only can't help their kids with homework, but when it comes to their kids failing a subject, they can't read the warning notices sent to them by the school, they need a translator for any conversations related to disciplinary actions (more than one parent has feigned not speaking english to avoid being told their kid hasn't turned in homework in weeks or that they ditched school three days in a row, etc).

Just extrapolate this problem to law enforcement, emergency room doctors and nurses, etc. IT's a real headache, I'm just glad I speak Spanish. Seriously, there are pockets downtown where you'd swear you are in Mexico.

I love the people, have embraced the culture, make some killer food (including tamales and salsa from scratch) but this is an issue that is having a serious impact on society today. Unfortunately, it might take a huge influx of Chinese for the Mexicans to realize this issue isn't targeting a particular nationality, but trying to establish a common grounds of communication.

So there is an example in Canada, where English is spoken... except Quebec, where French is the official language. Quesadillas instead of crepes, I wonder which city is going to adopt Spanish as it's official language. IMO just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
krept said:
I'm just glad I speak Spanish.
Isn't that contributing the the enabler attitude?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Speaking spanish is good. Or should I say, understanding it. That way you know what they are saying. But it doesn't mean you speak to them in anything but english (at least that's what I practice, I won't actually speak to them in spanish).

Screw their culture. They can practice their culture in their homes, or even in a homogenous neighborhood, publicly, just like everyone else can. But in the public in general, it's AMERICAN culture that needs to be practiced. If they don't like it, then they need to go live where the culture they like is the national culture.

I'll tell you what. France has a bad reputation as being very snotty. And in a lot of the upper-crust hotels and restaurants/shops, they are, all the time (same here, by the way). But the general population is actually pretty nice to you (even in Paris) if they see that you are at least trying to speak French instead of insisting that they speak english to us while we are in their country.

So why should any immigrant here, expect anything but a cold response AT BEST, when they won't even try to speak english.

And what the hell is wrong with Mexicans anyway? I know a LOT of (legal) immigrants here. People from Spain learned english, people from France learned english, we have a lot of people that moved here from Russia, they learned english.

I agree with KJUN and Mr Luna that by posting signs in spanish is enabling the problem and discouraging them from getting with the program.
It might be nice of us to speak to them in spanish, but we shouldn't HAVE to.

I don't know about the rest of you, but here, if spanish is a kid's first language, teachers can't fail them in school, no matter how poorly they perform. Now that's outright contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
nah, i don't see the ability to speak Spanish as enabling, really. I'd actually like to learn Arabic next. Spanish has helped a lot in previous jobs, somewhat in my current one and most likely will be of great benefit in my next one. I definitely don't roll into a Mexican restaurant/tire shop/etc. and "try my Spanish out" hahaa... it's funny when people do it... I do keep it as a backup, however. Of course it comes in very handy when we go down to Nogales or Tijuana especially when faced with the possibility of contacting LE down there.

again, Spanish is going to spoken with greater frequency as we sail into the future. it's saved my hide with a cop in TJ once, got me a senorita in Mazatlan, facilitated a bunch of transactions and made me some good friends among other things. i'd say it's a good skill to have, as boring as it might be ;)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Krept, bear in mind the Canadiens colonized "New France" before the British arrived in Canada. After the English took Quebec they realized that there were a hell of a lot of French people living there that weren't going to be thrilled when they declared Quebec an English-speaking, British-ruled Anglican colony, so they essentially did their best to appease them; the Francophones kept their language, religion and French civil law. [/digression]

A bylaw passed in Vancouver awhile ago requiring all shop signs to have an english translation printed on them if they were in a different language has been successful IMO. It was put forward because of the large number of Asian markets & convenience stores around town. It is probably good for the economy too... I wonder if such a bylaw would help in the US?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
that's definitely a good point and the background is particularly interesting. i was never really good at history and Canadian history I am particularly bleak on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts