Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
If we have a specific, defined distance we know we'll always be shooting at, or if we just want to gimp our rifles with bullets they weren't designed for, those would be phenomenal. Never mind the fact that those won't fit in a normal AR magazine, and so turns your gun into a breech-fed single shot. Forget that minor problem and just look at the performance they offer. From a 10' barrel, even with a max charge (20.0 grains) of Varget, those max out at 1965 fps, for 858 ft/lbs. Congratulations - by neutering the barrel and going to a ridiculous bullet choice, you made your AR-15 less powerful at the muzzle than a normal AR (or even an AK) is when fired from more than 150 yards away. Why on earth would we want to use custom bullets, just to turn a 1200 ft/lb gun into an 850 ft/lb gun..?

And if you say these are for quiet, suppressed use, that's even dumber. A 100-grain bullet at 1100 fps has less than 270 ft/lbs. Congratulations again - power-wise, you just turned your AR15 into the equivalent of a pocket pistol.

Again, WHY would a person want to do this, or claim that it's necessary or smart? Why, when you can have your same 10" barrel length, factory-available supersonics that run over 1100 ft/lbs, factory subsonics that run 500 ft/lbs, all of which feed in normal AR magazines. And does it all in a package and caliber that's readily available all over the country with no custom loading necessary. The only reason for not accepting that reality is a petulant "gotta be concocted by me or it sucks" outlook. Seriously - buy a .300BK pistol, and you're done. It does everything you say you want it to do. And that's not conjecture or my opinion - you yourself used to say that it was what you wanted, back before it became mainstream. But now that it's mainstream, you choose to deride it. That's sad.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
given his meager load out, a .300 blackout would work far better than his neutered rifle, in the size he wants. He would lose the .22 unit, which is a dumb idea in a fighting rifle anyway.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
...He would lose the .22 unit...
True; but with the blackout, the subs eliminate the need for it. Just swap magazines and done. That's one of the main beauties of the blackout, and one of the reasons he used to like it.

Unless it's a matter of subsonic rimfire recoil being more important than subsonic centerfire performance, it's strictly another example of 'not invented here' bias, with the "here" in this case being an overactive imagination.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
True; but with the blackout, the subs eliminate the need for it. Just swap magazines and done. That's one of the main beauties of the blackout, and one of the reasons he used to like it.

Unless it's a matter of subsonic rimfire recoil being more important than subsonic centerfire performance, it's strictly another example of 'not invented here' bias, with the "here" in this case being an overactive imagination.
he could easily carry a .22 pistol for foraging.

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What's a good length for the .300BO?
I ask because a LGS has a 7.5" bbl made by Black Aces in that chambering.
To be honest it would be a piece at a time build like my first AR pistol was and be built as a PDW with the strong possibility of having a silencer attached.
May even go whole hog and either get a PDW type stock err brace. 😉
And eventually something like this:
PDW_Black_Closed_Left_2626-RevStrapAug-Ghosted60.jpg

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
What's a good length for the .300BO?
I've read that the .300BK is supposedly maximized at something like 9 or 9.5 inches, but haven't seen that anywhere official.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've read that the .300BK is supposedly maximized at something like 9 or 9.5 inches, but haven't seen that anywhere official.
Likely true but I succumbed to temptation and grabbed up the 7.5" one. Since it's gonna be a PDW build. Definitely a piece at a time one.😁

The last time I had an AR with this short of a barrel was the Rocky Mountain Arms Patriot Pistol a great or bad example of stacking tolerances.🙄

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My .300 pistol has a 10.5" barrel. 7.5" should be fine, but maybe a little on the lower end, but probably not enough to make a huge difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts