Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had THOUGHT that there would be 4 ft of un-used storage space when i draped the folded in half 20x20 tarp over the triangular 4x4x 8 ft of sleeping shelter. However, when I did th actual test build, there was no practical way to have the 2 ft of debris on the outside of the door flap at the head of the shelter. So the "extra" 4 ft of the tarp has to be allowed to drape over the door flap. Fill this extra segment of tarp with a 2 ft thick layer of debris. This is then lifted with the door flap. The 3 ft thick layer of debris that is piled alongside of and on top of the tarp is also created across the foot end of the shelter.

A stick and bark 'basket" full of debris is created inside of the foot end of the shelter, into which the lower legs and feet (6 pairs of wool socks and relfective tarp "booties" on feet) are inserted. I WAS going to use the backpack for this "foot-wrap", but the pack is needed to be around my head at the door flap, so as to have just as much warmth around my head as around the rest of the shelter. For you clowns who "think" debris is not effective, read it and weep. A 3 ft thick layer of debris, especially if covered with a tarp, gives you an R-value of 36, on top of the bivy and the 5-7 layers of clothing.

Chilko Lake does not freeze solid as does Great Slave lake, Therefore, you might have to keep on using the 2 sets of clothing as pontoons for the raft. However, it does not get as cold at CL as it does at GSL, at least, it does not do so as early in the winter. Naturally, a backup plan is required, so before you put the 4 ft thick layer of debris into the 8x5 ft pole box as your bedding, dig 4 holes in a row. Have the holes be 1 cubic ft in size and space them 1 ft apart, edge to edge. Then you can put a head-sized hot rock in each hole, surrounded by 2" of wood ashes. When you no longer have any body-fat, your body can't generate metabolic heat (worth a hoot) So you COULD need the hot rocks for the last 2 weeks of your stay. 1/2 hour of the one way projected heat of a Siberian fire lay heats up the rocks enough and then they give off heat for 4-5 hours.

You're not allowed to net-fish until day 45. i"ve been unable to determine if you can make netting before that date and just not use it. However,even if you must wait until then to start net-production, the 2500 sq ft of 4" mesh netting can be made out of the cotton rope hammock in 10 days and you can add each day's production to the water. Even if you can't bait the net-traps, you CAN still set them along the shoreline, open to the lake and then use the seine and the pontoon outrigger raft to force the fish into the net traps. Then a dip net with a long wooden handle can swiftly empty the traps. Since you have to do something with the heads and guts, why not just dump the offal into the traps? I mean, it's not baiting like it was when putting them into tarp and tape bags, staked out inside of the traps. :)

Given the restriction of only being able to take ONE deer, rabbits and grouse, the slingbow is not worth taking. Take either the pemmican or the cookpot, per personal preference. I can make a bow and arrows good enough for bowfishing and rabbits. The big roll of Gorilla tape makes it a snap to have 2 "fletchings" at the rear of each arrow shaft. Seasoned springpole/stake traps are more likely to take a deer than a bow anyway, when you have to lug around 30 lbs of camera gear and you're stuck in a mere 2.5 sq miles of area. You get another 2.5 miles of area, but it's on the LAKE. Not likely to catch any rabbits or deer on/in the water! It happens, but it's rare.

I've also discovered that the dummies are removing their clothing when inside of their shelters! Now wth would you waste the calories to do that, and then be colder cause you did? This also means that you need more room inside of the shelter. That space is just a waste of your body heat, requiring the fire, which is waste of 2 hours per day (and thus 700 calories) to process and haul the firewood. Duh. Processing firewood is a LOT more calories than merely walking, unburdened and such walking burns 300 calories per hour (assuming the pace is 3 mph) I got lots of variation in claims of calories burned when i googled this. Some said 1000 calories per hour, even on a treadmill. No way that's accurate.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I still don't know what he's trying to do.
Become an advice guru for people auditioning for that show?
Personally if (and I admit that's a big IF) I was going to try out for the show I'd be wanting to learn from an Inuit not an Idiot.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
error in the shelter build for Alone show

I had THOUGHT...

However, when I did th actual test...
...I WAS going to use the backpack for this "foot-wrap", but...
It's good to see you've reached the point where you can admit mistakes; that's genuinely good to see.

Still curious for your response on mistakes regarding the 9x21 caliber and the James Yeager SBR thing. It's okay to admit mistakes. We all need to some time or other; and you've done so more than once here in this one post above. Bravo on the maturity growth.

Please share about your thoughts on the 9x21 thing and the James Yeager SBR thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
I've also discovered that the dummies are removing their clothing when inside of their shelters! Now wth would you waste the calories to do that, and then be colder cause you did? This also means that you need more room inside of the shelter. That space is just a waste of your body heat, requiring the fire, which is waste of 2 hours per day (and thus 700 calories) to process and haul the firewood. Duh. Processing firewood is a LOT more calories than merely walking, unburdened and such walking burns 300 calories per hour (assuming the pace is 3 mph) I got lots of variation in claims of calories burned when i googled this. Some said 1000 calories per hour, even on a treadmill. No way that's accurate.
From my personal experience during Field Exercises in Alaska in February and dozens of Winter exercises in Northern Alberta during a 28 year period, the only dummy is the one that doesn't take off his/her outer wear in the shelter and doesn't strip to their long johns when climbing into their sleeping bag. The dead air space in the sleeping bag is warmed by your body heat and retained by the inner liner keeping your body warm longer. Wearing wet, dirty clothes inside your sleeping bag will do nothing but eliminate the insulation value completely.

We used to keep the inside of our 10 man tents at +20F with Coleman stoves, once we came inside it was parkas off because they were generally wet and we didn't want the rest of our gear soaked, plus it was difficult to move around inside wearing them. On the other hand the American troops (mostly southern guys) I worked with wore their parka inside, never acclimatizing to the cold and generally ended up getting med evac'd. Experience Melvin, any environment is livable if you have the knowledge.

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
double post

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I never hardly ever wore my outer clothes to bed or have been comfortable wearing a coat/parka indoors for very long.
The only time I've ever remained clothed is during warmer weather with a poncho liner draped over me.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
A Poncho liner was are probably the best single item I was ever issued by the Army. I have a half dozen or so around the place and gave some to both my Children.

Reactions: Garand and BigEd

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've only two and one I've modified years ago to be more like a sleeping bag.
It's got a zipper I salvaged off of an old tent along the "bottom" and velcro along the head and shoulders.
I used to use it in Summer and early fall.
When younger I had a Kelly sleeping bag either +20 or 25deg I can't recall but I'd use that modified poncho liner plus a pad of course with a "space/survival" blanket as a heat reflector underneath.
That rig worked fairly well for regular winter backpacking but not when it got close to 0 F I'd also wear Acorn wool blend slipper socks and a balaclava or a wool watch cap and a polypro & thinsulate neck gaiter.
Having actually tried and it either worked or not when spending 2-7 days out on the Ozark Highlands Trail in average 2 times a month weekenders and 2-3 times a year for the 5-7day trips is why I sometimes call BS on certain gear choices of a certain somebody who need not be named.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
From my personal experience during Field Exercises in Alaska in February and dozens of Winter exercises in Northern Alberta during a 28 year period, the only dummy is the one that doesn't take off his/her outer wear in the shelter and doesn't strip to their long johns when climbing into their sleeping bag. The dead air space in the sleeping bag is warmed by your body heat and retained by the inner liner keeping your body warm longer. Wearing wet, dirty clothes inside your sleeping bag will do nothing but eliminate the insulation value completely.

We used to keep the inside of our 10 man tents at +20F with Coleman stoves, once we came inside it was parkas off because they were generally wet and we didn't want the rest of our gear soaked, plus it was difficult to move around inside wearing them. On the other hand the American troops (mostly southern guys) I worked with wore their parka inside, never acclimatizing to the cold and generally ended up getting med evac'd. Experience Melvin, any environment is livable if you have the knowledge.

This is solid advice, and fits with what I was taught and what I currently do, even in a cold camp (i.e.: no campfire)

You ALWAYS remove your outerwear before getting into your sleeping gear.

This just underscores that he does a lot of "thinking" but very little "doing".

Also, I suspect he simply made up the errors to appear to be "doing" - pictures would go a long way to prove us all wrong. But the lack of and refusal to post any speaks volumes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts