Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it can't be done, beyond a very few shots, cause you get so much mirage off of the hot barrel that you can't hit anything. That's one of the reasons the aR is so popular. you can shoot 500 prairie dogs per day with it, at 200+ yds. it's built to HANDLE lots of firing heat. No bolt action even comes close.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
What aspect of a bolt-action makes its barrel get inherently hotter than a same-caliber semiauto rifle?

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Ever shot 180 rds through a Garand in an extremely short period of time? The wood starts to smoke!

Reactions: BigEd and Terry G

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
A AR barrel gets too hot to touch after one magazine of fairly rapid fire. So does a bolt fired rapidly after about 20 shots. What's the difference?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Well this thread is a head scratcher. It also shows how little time OP has with an AR.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
I live on the prairies, people up here use semi auto .22's and bolt actions to hunt gophers because you can't use an AR outside a licensed range prior to the "confiscation order"

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
What aspect of a bolt-action makes its barrel get inherently hotter than a same-caliber semiauto rifle?
JMD - another example of you hiding from a completely civil question about a topic that you specifically brought up, in a discussion that you specifically started.

Again, 'sad' is about the only appropriate word to describe that level of insecurity from someone who claims to be an expert on the subject matter. Would still be interested in an answer if you have one.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
So my Mod-70 in .223 will get hotter than my AR in .223?

it will, of course, depend on things like barrel length, profile, and material. It is entirely possible that the bolt action runs cooler than the AR for the same number of rounds simply because of more barrel to heat up and more surface area to dissipate heat. It's going to be an "it depends" across the board.

There are a lot of variables involved.

Take a modern rifle that ergonomically is laid out like an AR, but a bolt action, and the differences are much smaller, so a comparison would be closer. I suspect the heat profiles will still depend on the variables I listed above.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
JMD - another example of you hiding from a completely civil question about a topic that you specifically brought up, in a discussion that you specifically started.

Again, 'sad' is about the only appropriate word to describe that level of insecurity from someone who claims to be an expert on the subject matter. Would still be interested in an answer if you have one.
Still no response.

Again - what is it that makes you believe a bolt action .223 gets hotter than a semiauto .223 does?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts