1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Post withdrawn.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'll make two observations on this issue.

1. The idiot is not proficient with long range shooting. If I can't make a heart/lung shot on an animal, I'm not taking the shot. He obviously lacked the skills to make a quick kill at 700+ yards. He should not have taken that shot.

2. I've hunted deer with a .50 BMG. The damage shown is more than the damage I saw when my shot occured. I'm wondering two things, what was the bullet used and did shot placement have a factor in the damage.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard Rock said:
1. The idiot is not proficient with long range shooting. If I can't make a heart/lung shot on an animal, I'm not taking the shot. He obviously lacked the skills to make a quick kill at 700+ yards. He should not have taken that shot.
Mike

Glad to see your a perfect hunter and never miss the exact point that your aiming at.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I've hunted for 30 some odd years and I would never shoot at an animal at that kind of range, no matter what caliber cartridge I was using.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
missing_something said:
Glad to see your a perfect hunter and never miss the exact point that your aiming at.
I've missed twice in my hunting career. One time was due to the idiot I was hunting with and the other was due to an interloping coyote.

The first time I was just squeezing the trigger when the guy that was with me said in a quite loud stage whisper... "Shoot him!". The round went off as the buck turned. I had to catch the animal on the run to put him down... but it was quick and the animal suffered only for a few seconds. I've never hunted with that idiot again.

Second time was a 450 yard shot on a buck that completely missed due to me pulling the trigger just as a couple of coyotes spooked the deer.

I've never missed a shot where there was a problem due to something under my control. If I didn't feel 100% on pulling the trigger, I didn't do it. I've let some nice deer and other animals walk on by because of that.

I refuse to let my greed overcome my skills. Am I a perfect hunter? Nope but I'm not a stupid, greedy one either.

Mike

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
missing_something said:
Maybe if the guy wouldn't have come across bragging about it and seemed ashamed of having made a bad shot - as he SHOULD have been - we would have thought differently. I, too, was disgusted with that post. Before you ask, not all of my shots on game while hunting have been perfect. I at least realize that I screwed up and behaved accordingly.

I wouldn't have shot that far because I don't think I'd get a good shot, but if I did think I could and took the shot, I'd be pissed at myself for screwing it up. I would also be ashamed of the bad shot.
KJ

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Here's the buck I got last week. 220 yards with the M40 in the pic. (note, my front lens cap came off the rifle on the trek to the area I hunt). He took four hops before dropping. Not bragging, just giving an example of the ethics I use when I hunt. The shot was perfect and I had no reservations... though dragging him out of the brush to where I could get the truck to him was a pain in the ass...

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't have a problem with the weapon used, just the range.

If it takes long enough for the round to get there that you can recover from recoil and watch the hit, you're too far away. A lot can happen in the time it takes for a bullet to travel even 500 yards, much less 710.

Being that far away makes it MUCH less likely that you'll even find the spot where the deer WAS, just to find the blood trail. Ethical hunting requires that we take things like this into account.

Granted, I'd LOVE to hunt with one of these, but just because you have the equipment, and possibly, the ability to reliably hit at long distances, doesn't mean it's okay to hunt at those distances.

About the only long range hunting shots I'd take would be:

*Bedded animal.
*Animal in the desert/plains with nowhere to hide, no low spots, canyons, etc. to get away to. Preferably with head down, grazing, no wind.

·
Registered
675 Posts
This is a pretty old thread, but lets revive it anyway.
I thought it unfortunate where the shot ended up. At that range, a combination of an unexpected gust of wind, etc, could have caused the shift in the point of impact from the point of aim. As long as the shooter has figured out what happened, so that it won't happen again. I do feel that 710 yards is a bit on the excessive side for hunting shots, due to the increased possibility of this sort of thing happening.
As long as the hunter has addressed the problem, so it won't happen again it is good. If it is otherwise, he should quit hunting.

·
Registered
675 Posts
How would he possibly "address the problem"?
I would venture to say he can get additional practice in so that he can judge wind speed much better. If that was not the issue, and there was absolutely no wind, check his equipment. If the equipment checks out, he should get a bull horn so he can tell the deer to stand still so he can shoot it, or he can just quit making shots across canyons.

·
Registered
145 Posts
IMNSHO, shooting in the wind ain't the problem. You need to be close enough to make a follow up shot. Not even having a spotter ready to take a second shot would work. Things happen awfully fast after the first shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts