Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may belong in another category.

Theres a rumor Ive been hearing from some distant aquaintences of some tactical competition shooters here in Miami. Supposedly, there is an abandoned fuel refining complex (no remaining storage either, so non hazardous) out in the glades in the Homestead area. And then, it is rumored that it is a great place for targets, practice, exploring, and the like.

Once again, this is word of mouth, which we all know is exagerated, hyped up, etc.

I have contacted the fish and wildlife commission and they had no issue with anyone doing practice on safe vacant public non-protected land. I cant quite tell how if I shoot 200 gr 308s at 3000fps that the land would be safe. Mabye its just me. I also contacted a police official on it. He had nothing to confirm or deny that I could go and shoot there. He said he would have no clue on legality unless he knew where it exactly was.

This all seems rather lax protection by law but if I can do it, and I ensure its safe I will do it.

If no one here knows of any last objection the local officials didnt mention, or any protocalls to follow, I plan to go on a prolonged hike with some shooting buddies to find this place. I can only imagine all the fun and advanced practice we could have if this abandoned facility actually existed and was at our disposal.

If I saw no tresspasing signs, warnings and whatnot, I would obey them, I'm not looking for trouble. With no real decision from officials, and if there is no warning, and no one is near like 20 miles of the joint (if it exists in the first place) I dont see how would be a major issue. But im sure theres a way for one to come up if there is something I havnt been told.

Any suggestions on action would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Find where it is, and tell them exactly where it is and ask again if it's legal.
From what I understand, if it's public, non protected land and more than 150 yards from the nearest habitation, it's legal to shoot. Just makes sure the site qualifies.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I believe it is Florida state law that you cannot shoot within 500 feet of a paved public road. You may want to keep that in mind as well.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, since no one knows about it im sure its no where near a road, but if I find it Ill check to be sure. Ill probly go on a little trek to find it next month or so and put a GPS flag on it... How fun. :eatpointe

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Rich might be right, but I remember it being something like 150 feet from a road (paved), but I could be wrong. Either way, please check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts