Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In cold weather, a huge amount of your body heat escapes out of your head, your cold weather head gear is important.

These rabbit fur trapper/bomber style hats are the best cold weather head gear items I've ever used. You can get them in cloth and wool outer coverings, including hunter's orange and camouflage. I have both a deerskin and a cloth shell version. The deerskin is the toughest and the warmest.

With one of these, I find that I can operate with less cold weather gear on the rest on my body. One of these, an extra pair of longjohns and wool socks, my old military wool scarf, watchcap, and wool sweater, plus a pair of thinsulate camo hunting gloves all live in my pack. So, even if I didn't grab any extra cold weather gear, I have the basics to keep warm if need be.

Sportsman's guide has the deerskin shell ones on a summer sale for $25. During the winter, these normally go for $45 to $50.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=61576

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Okaaay! My head needs something like that.

Thanks!

RIKA :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I like the "Radar" Jeep cap sold by CTD, in black no one in my unit questions it, and it keeps my "melon" warm. The flaps fold down over the ears, and the bill keeps it out of my eyes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Speaking of cold weather hats, I was at Wally-World and they are setting out their Fall hunting stuff already.

I grabbed up 2 camo polar fleece watch caps in one of those hard woods patterns. $3.83 each before taxes.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I've found that the standard touque in either subdued green or white serves me well during the winter. The problem with hats is that you can't use them to combat frostbite on your nose and cheeks. I've also found that when I've crawled into my sleeping bag wearing my touque to keep my head warm at night that it is still in place the next morning. That is the problems that I with hats.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I favor a "stretch"-wooly balaclava, and the hood of the Goretex cammies, but then I aint stupid enough to stay where it's really cold, given shtf, either.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
And you aren't smart enough to learn how to survive in all enviornments either!! :p :p

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Naw, he's leaving the colder areas, teeming with game and other resources, and he's going to head into the warmer areas of the US with the rest of the teeming hordes so he can live off of rodents and stray dogs while catching various plauges and fighting for the limited access to fresh water.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thanks for the info, mrostov. While my winters are mild by comparison to many of us, during the cold months I always keep a spare watch cap or two in the trunk of my car along with some gloves.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We love

the good old fashioned USGI helmet liners that velcro fasten at the chin for extreme cold.Keeps alot of head heat in exposing only he lips,nose,and eyes plus they are had for a cheap rice

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
On those rabbit fur hats, don't you find that the rabbit fur falls out after not too long. I had rabbit's fur lined gloves, and a hat once and the fur always was coming out. Do they make these with something that is kore durable, maybe coyotes fur or with man made liners.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cabelas sells ones made out of different furs, like coyote and muskrat, but they do cost more.

Myself, I've never had the problem with rabbit fur falling out.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Glenn Bartley said:
On those rabbit fur hats, don't you find that the rabbit fur falls out after not too long. I had rabbit's fur lined gloves, and a hat once and the fur always was coming out.

It's just shedding for the summer.

:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts