Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Interesting, wish they listed fps claims. A few times when wandering areas where I believed likely to encounter animals that I wanted to run off but not kill or permanently injure, I've carried a SASS fast-draw round as the first round in the revolver. Basically a very hard wax bullet, loaded in a special case that accepts 209 shotgun primers instead of pistol primers.

Even with normal pistol primers, the wax bullets (with no powder, primer only) will run ~400 fps in .38spl and 45 Colt both. But with 209 primers, the 45 colt will run about 800 fps, and 38spl will run nearly 1000fps. A lot of the people who make the 209-primed handgun cases simply don't even do the .38spl due to the velocity.

IIRC, the wax bullets are something like $20-$30 per thousand. Only get 20-30 feet of range before they tend to veer off path, but there's a lot of 'sting' in them.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Prices on specialty ammo these days are expensive!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Prices on specialty ammo these days are expensive!
Part of why the cowboy wax 'fast-draw' bullets are fun; the total cost is only about what .22's are. Around $60 per thousand or so including the wax bullets and 209 primers, but let you use your normal revolver for holster-work as well as pests & such.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts