Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I received a return receipt letter from the lawyer representing my largest customer. It informed me that my programming/consulting agreement was terminated as of Dec 31 and that I should return all work in process materials to their offices and pick up my final check. No further explanation. I wasn't aware that there were any problems and can't figure out why they would take such action.

In spite of my 'tough' persona I can be hurt rather easily by the right thing and this hurt me more than any of you can ever know. My main source of income has been destroyed; the other customers are basically only good for only pocket change and gas money. I'll get by just fine. Have savings account and don't spend that much. Will just have to hustle to dig out some business now.

The photo thing caught me at a bad time when I was very emotional and extremely stressed. My reactions and comments were neither logical nor well thought out so you got a purely emotional reaction. It showed and I made a terrible ass of myself.

I apologize to each of you for letting you see a side of myself that I'm ashamed of. You guys are so strong; I try to be that way but often fail miserably. As for the photo thing, no photos - at least not right now. Later is a possibility but don't push me. Please.

This morning I'm going to drop off the stuff and pick up my check. Will have my emotions tightly under control.

Again, my apologies to each of you. Hope you don't think too badly of me.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
No biggie, it was just more. . .disjointed. . .than anything, don't worry about it.

I do hope you find out WTF on that client though.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The letter was sitting next to the keyboard all evening. Every time I looked at it the tears would come and I'd get angry again. Was alone with no one to even talk to. I definitely wasn't thinking straight. Disjointed is a mild word.

RIKA

·
Registered
750 Posts
Fuck em' you were looking for work when you found that one.

I've been self-employed for a long time and this sort of thing happens to us, it's the price we pay for our independence and the satisfaction that comes from making our own way.

Put on your game face and get out there and beat the streets till you make something else work for ya.

Teuf,

·
Registered
779 Posts
Rika, I am new here, but I can tell, from what you write, that you are no dummy. You're down now, but you will get back up.

No need to apologise, it's no ones business, really, to know what you look like. Just go kick some ass.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Sad news Rika.

Try to find out the why on this. Somthign always comes down the pike. At least it always has for me.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Try to look on the bright side. It did provide you with an income for a sustained period. You really can start the new year moving in a new direction. You found that job, you will find a new one.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
That’s pretty harsh, especially before Christmas, but you’ll do all right. Like others have said, you were looking for clients when you found that one, so you know how to do it.

And that 'display' as you put it, was nothing at all. Many of us have done worse. Put the client's things in order as best you can, be professional and nice, and enjoy the break it gives you over the holidays.

One of the great things about society being so full of dregs, is that it's so easy to be above average; and a good, reliable contractor will always be in demand.

Carry on, girl.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Some of us labor under the illusion of security, but really, we're all self-employed, and sackable at any time. It's an important lesson to learn, and most don't.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
RIKA:
In my work a a Mechanical Engineering Consultant, this happened quiet a few times. Usually the job was ending soon, or some new manager was trying to make a name for himself. sometimes you never find the reason.

It might be as small as an unknown personality conflict between people inside of the firm, that was contracting for your services.

Judging, what I can from your posts, you are one pretty sharp operator, so don't let the damned goblins get you down. I have never met a person that has the incisive wit you have. Your posts have become a daily source of sustainment for me.

I don't know what I can personally do to help you, other than to offer my moral support. But, my days are better because for your presence here, on the net. I would bet, there are many one this site that would say the same thingto you.

Good luck, and don't let the BASTARDS grind you down, because we care for you.

Remember the SPOKANE thing? Maybe now is the time to look into that!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
This has happened to me a few times RIKA. Some bean counter probably decided you were too expensive.
I don't know about the law in your stste, but in California if you had a written contract you could be able to sue for a breach of contract. When this happened to a friend of mine she sued and got a $25.000 settlement. You might want to check with a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Good luck Rika, we all know you'll pull through. You've got my thoughts and prayers that this will pass quickly and open another door to greater happiness.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've nothing to add that hasn't been said better before me.

Just try & put it aside for the next week or so & worry about it later.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Another bright side; your skills far and exceed those that Gunkid has and he found a way for the government to support him!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
No worries, friend. Just sit back and relax over the holidays, you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm sure things will work out for you, just keep your chin up and eyes open for the next opportunity. Don't sweat the small stuff like how your posts might be perceived or BS about a pic. You seem like a smart cat, so it's just a matter of time. I'm pullin for ya. ;)

cheers

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found out what happened. They made a deal to have an company do the coding work offshore (India) with the US rep (an Indian) to come in once in a while to take the specs for the next job as they come up. They say that it will save them money. I kept my mouth pretty much shut and was very calm and pleasant. Was glad to get my check and get out of there.

Things will be totally dead, prospect wise, until after the first of the year so will have plenty of time to evaluate myself, my motives and what to do next.

I want to thank each of you for your moral support and kind thoughts. The stress and emptional toll is high but I'll get through okay.

Thanks again

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Oh,& you don't need to apologize for anything either.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Raider said:
I found out what happened. They made a deal to have an company do the coding work offshore (India) with the US rep (an Indian) to come in once in a while to take the specs for the next job as they come up. They say that it will save them money. I kept my mouth pretty much shut and was very calm and pleasant. Was glad to get my check and get out of there.

Things will be totally dead, prospect wise, until after the first of the year so will have plenty of time to evaluate myself, my motives and what to do next.

I want to thank each of you for your moral support and kind thoughts. The stress and emptional toll is high but I'll get through okay.

Thanks again

RIKA
If you had to have a lot of interaction with them to understand the specs and revise code fairly often, then they will fail with off shoring the software development.

If they have their act together and give you dead-on rock solid specs that need little or no tweaking, then they may be successful.

Don't be surprised if they don't come looking for you in a few months.

In the mean time, do you have a resume that is current?

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aslan said:
In the mean time, do you have a resume that is current?

:devil:
I have a resume but trying to find a formal job with salary and benefits is impossible. There are hordes of people, most of whom are better qualified than I am, that are fighting for such jobs. My place is in the niche market where the company wants a come when called part timer to support them. The company that dumped me was such until they got too full of themselves. I made a lot of money off them while they were growing so I am grateful for that. I'll find something else after the first of the year when everything eases up.

RIKA

1 - 20 of 41 Posts