Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
tasco 74 said:
i have always been enamored by the s&w model 27. when i got the chance to get a 1968 vintage vey good in original box a few yrs back i had to have it. traded my model 13 and $100 bucks for her an never looked back. she's got a 6" barrel an custom mono grip lamo camo grip. i've been reloading for .38 .357 mag for about 25 yrs now an got some pretty accurate cast loads worked up for her.
OK, then, 'Why' do you call yourself, 'Tasco74'? Shouldn't your name be something like, 'S&W68' or, maybe, 'S&W27'! (Hey, I'm just thinking - here.) :D

Oh, yeah, to answer the original question:

(1) For hunting AND target shooting I'll go with the 44mag.

(2) For street combat shooting AND target I'll go with the 45acp.

(3) For target shooting AND backup street carry I'll go with the 38spec./357mag. ;)

·
Banned
9,117 Posts
I'll take my lwc .45, in .460 Rowland

for hunting or ccw. Difference might be in the ammo. For really big critters, a hollowbased swc, 90 grs, at 2100 fps, instead of the 3 segment prefrag, at 2300 fps, which is still the choice for hogs, deer, pronghorn, or cougar.

All one has to do is swap barrels for .45 ACP, or swap slide groups and ejectors, to shoot 9mm, or install the .22 lr conversion unit, for target shooting.

At 7.8" long, 31 ozs loaded (to include a 4 oz muzzlewt, Defender length slide, the lw Commander is one hell of a sidearm, and quite concealable and comfortable to carry, if you know how, under just shorts and a T shirt, if you have adequately developed abs and pecs, anyway. Have to seriously round off the front corner of the slide, for sit down comfort, and carry at the navel.

·
Banned
9,117 Posts
no, typical .45's DON'T "get the job done"

very well at all, and that's provable, on animals. The .45 just has a lot of ignorant bs going for it, that's all.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Many years ago there was a magazine out called "Pistolero". Anyway these guys went to Mexico and did actual shooting tests using hogs. Rather interesting article they published as a result. Seems that NONE of the handgun cartridges they tested resulted in one shot stops on those hogs. Many had to be shot multiple times before they stopped running around. Actually the whole thing was pretty gross sounding, but I do have to admit that the article was a real eye opener.

·
Banned
9,117 Posts
that mag went off the market right

after that article, did you notice? My loads in 460 don't always stop a big pig, but they are obviously more effective than 230 gr .45 jhp's.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts