Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite hunting rifle is my .338. It's a ruger mod 77 in a McMillan Bros stock (sako hunter style) in forrest cammo.

Yes, the .338 is overkill for most animals, but it works and I like it. (Besides, somehow or another, my son has pre-inherted my .280)

I've taken everything from coyotes to Elk with it. (Talk about turning a 'yote inside out...) It's favorite food, is a 225gr Barnes XLC.

:devil:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Right now, my Marlin 1895 .45-70.
Nothing special about it, but it works.
The Remington 405-gr. fodder runs best. Flies like a mortar and hits like one.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I've got some kind of decision-making disorder; as I can't seem to come up with a "favorite hunting rifle". :idea:

This year I used my CAR-15 for deer, last year I used my .308 "scout"; I've also used my .357 levergun, and even a 1911 one outing, but didn't see anything that trip out (and it's also obviously not a "rifle"...)

I suspect that now that I have the suppressor for the CAR-15, and it being legal in Arkansas to hunt with a suppressor, it will likely be my "favorite hunting rifle", at least for a while.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have a few bolt rifles including a Remington .243 that is just a joy to shoot, but my favorite hunting rifle is a Winchester 30/30 that I have an Ashly apendature sight on.

You see I put the 'hunt' in hunting so I prefer to walk and get close to game (deer being my main advarsary.) I just hate sitting up in a stand and prefer slow, I mean real slow, walking. As Jeff Cooper said, "if you can't take it with a 30/30, you probably can't take it".

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Custom FN Mauser in 7x57. Leupold scope and chocolate marble cake walnut stock. Gift from my Dad. Next is that Marlin 1895 45-70. I love em all.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Not my area of expertise, but I'd say a Remington 700 PSS in .308

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
cool thread, aslan! [thanks]

i have not rifle hunted for a few years 'lately' on tag/season[deer/elk]

but i think it is a even 'split' with the little ruger[discontinued]22-250 m-77
with the full length wood stock[mani'dliketolickher?]

and a ruger#1 ....a-1 sporter[i think?] in .270

i have a 03 sporter[factory] remington that is a real tough 'pass'?[see what i mean?]

then there's a [almost new/mint] weatherby.300winmag , it's way to sweet , to lug-around in the bush.[see?] [i love lookin' at her, though! and shooting her at the range]

i really like that bobbed-down .22-250rsi [for some 'mean/nasty' reason]

upon reflecting, i think you have asked an UN-FAIR question, and i wish to withdraw from the playing[as your trying to make me choose, :crying:]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hmmmmm.....

For squirrels, tricked out 10/22.

Large varmints, Kimber .223

Blacktail deer, Rem mod 7 7mm08

Mule deer, Interarms MX .270

Elk and bear, Sako custom .338 mag

I think the one MOST fun to shoot is the 10/22 But the Kimber is one sweet gun!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Hmmm hard to say. I have a sweet little 257 Improved tha tis a dead ringer for tha t338. A lovely little custom 7 Mauser. A great Sauer 200 with barrels in 6.5/06 Improved and 9.3x63. An extremly accurate 338/06 Improved and just incase I ever see an ass hat trundling a wheel barrow down my drive post SHTF a 416 Taylor I am in the process of building.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Since I only hunt squirrels, I guess it is the newest small caliber rifle I have on hand. Lately it has been my Remington 597 in 17HMR. But I am looking for a new one and there is a gun show in Tallahassee this weekend. The 597 shoots OK, but something about it and me doesn't mesh well together. It shoots fine from a rest, but when I am shooting at a squirrel I don't have any confidence I will hit it. Consequently I miss as often as I hit. I'm thinking I have the scope too far forward or something. I find that when I hit my cheek to the stock to fire, the scope isn't where it should be.

Maybe I'll move the scope this weekend or so.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i strongly suggest, rich! that you just 'RELAX' and follow this !

do the ol' BRASS treatment

[1]B ...Breathe

[2]R ...Relax

[3]A...AIM

[4]S...STOP[exhale,,,stay focused]

[5]S...SQUEEZE [the trigger] your sight picture is the 'holy grail'

there WILL be no BUCK/SQUIRREL FEVER ON THIS BOARD![dammit]

:wavey:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts