Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to cut this one away from the pistol modification section of this project even though they are intertwined with each other to some extent.
However, this is getting into a more experimental level of reloading that I'd rather cleave off with some caveats:

#1: Read the Notice at the top of this reloading section regards to ANY reloading information listed herin.
#2: Any and all data & testing results will be ones I load at reasonable risk with reasonable safety precautions when test firing in my handgun.
#3: The safety and viability of this hand loaded ammo is solely dependent upon the chamber dimensions and material & mechanical characteristics of the handgun that I'm testing it in. And it's not implied to be safe in any other firearms period.

Okay with that out of the way I've been studying the burn characteristics of the Ramshot Silhouette and trying to figure out what the problem is that's causing the wide range and less than spectacular velocity deviations.
Silhouette is a relatively slow burning powder and considering that I'm currently using brass that uses Small Pistol Primers. I'm wondering if it's not an ignition issue?
I'm pondering on dropping my test charges back down to minimum or near. And working up some test batches using Small Pistol Magnum primers?
If that fails then I may switch to a powder like Enforcer.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I've done that including buying a separate crimping die made by LEE. And all of my cases have been checked. They have not required trimming yet and are within .002 of an inch from each other.
What's odd is that I've not had any issues like this when I worked up a load, as far as it would go velocity and performance wise with Unique.

Here's LEE's description of the die I tried with no improvement in consistent velocity. Well a reasonable standard deviation not one approaching 200fps.* 50fps I can tolerate. And yep I've checked my powder charge weights.

*-In case it was a Chronograph issue I also tried a friend's but with the same results side by side the same day.

My only other recourse will be to just move on to a different powder if this doesn't work.

I'm really beginning to think this powder just isn't right for the .45 ACP at all. Or at least not with small primer'd brass.

One issue when comparing powders is that Unique being a flake type powder probably has enough tiny gaps in the powder charge to allow for a good consistent burn? I know also that the newer Unique burns more consistent and cleaner than the old stuff I used to load in .44magnum. 100rds through my old Redhawk would have the cylinder wanting to lock up on me.

The Ramshot Silhouette however seems to be a very fine grained ball powder that is slow burning. So I'm wondering if that combined with a small primer in the relatively wide .45acp case is causing an issue with it as far as inconsistent burning?

Once the holidays are done I'm going to call Ramshot and see about talking to one of their techs.
I know that what I'm working up won't be kosher with how companies are liability minded but I'm just curious if the small primer size in .45acp isn't the issue with that particular powder.

But the fun is in puzzling some of this stuff out.

Next on my list was going to be Ramshot Enforcer but I'm concerned about running into a similar issue.

Okay, well I sent them an email today although I'm not expecting an answer today considering the holidays. I just outlined the issues I've been having and the components I've used.

Registered
I've used Lee Crimp dies in 8 different calibers, and never been disappointed.

Reactions: BigEd

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have to go get a few more things up at Bass Pro Shop (formerly known as Cabela's) this week sometime. So I might pick up some other powder like Ramshot Enforcer. But I'd rather just get more Unique if they have any.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I got up to B.P.C. and picked up 1 pound of Ramshot Enforcer.
I figured that would work since it was too here and it's a little less risky than switching to a Magnum Primer at the moment.
So the experimentation goes on.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I won't say uhg. I'll say that I learn something new everyday. And some stuff l wish I knew the day before.

An article on using Ramshot Enforcer powder and Silhouette with....you guessed it: Large Pistol Magnum Primers. I wish I'd of known that yesterday as I've been searching for Small Pistol Magnum Primers. To no avail. Yeah I got a half a brick left. Oh well I can manage to put together some test loads anyway with both with the SP Magnum primers I do have.
I'm not going to make any attempts to go to any of the he public ranges until next year anyway. 馃榿

Excerpt from above I took as a screenshot:
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now the other day I received this email from Hodgdon regarding my inquiry about primers.
I didn't ask about using Magnum primers however
they did confirm that small pistol primers weren't enough to properly burn their powders as I had thought.
Font Screenshot Number Circle

So some very cautious work coming up.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In one way it's been beneficial but not with these powders. When I have time I'll crank out a series of test loads using Magnum primers. In 0.1 grain increments.
And see what happens.

My use of this brass has had a bit to do with with component availability and not wanting to order a whole case of primers. At least not currently.

If I hadn't parted with my brass when I parted with my last .45acp pistol I'd be in a better situation.

I'm just not up on having to move to many reloading components when I do move. Unless they have been assembled into loaded ammunition.

But this pistol modification and load development has and is interesting. Although a little frustrating at times.

And as of today I've restocked on Standard and Magnum Small Pistol Primers.

Registered
When I have time I'll crank out a series of test loads using Magnum primers. In 0.1 grain increments. And see what happens.
Ed - Fwiw, the results I got when experimenting with different primers in .38spl several years ago. The starting load is in the outlined frame at the top, 125-grain LFP with Bullseye powder. I typically use a small magnum primer for .38 spl, so that was my base load for comparing. Then I assembled some with small rifle primers, and then small rifle magnum primers. There were small differences, but not major ones.

The column on the far right was just looking at the difference between two guns using the same ammo. The taurus always got higher velocity than the S&W did; not huge, but always some. Just some fluke of the barrel I'm assuming, and not something I'd take to mean that taurus guns in general are faster than S&W's; just how it worked out in these particular examples.
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Music

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks John. I'll just have to see what happens with these haven't started yet. Probably get to work on them this weekend sometime. Maybe test them next Tuesday or Wednesday weather permitting.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, finished for tonight. Feeling distracted so I stopped for now. Got 2 different categories of loads for now:
Hornady XTP 230gr bullet using Ramshot Enforcer and CCI Magnum primers.

Hornady HAP 230gr also using Ramshot Enforcer but cases primed with CCI standard primers. I'm just curious about how it will perform. Plus I've a ton, well 500-600, of brass primed with these already.

Both in the following increments: 13.1, 13.2 & 13 3

So far that is. I'm going up to 14.0 eventually.

Oh yeah nearly forgot. This Enforcer powder is different similar to the Silhouette but even fiber grained and more of a flat appearance.
Tableware Ingredient Cuisine Dish Serveware

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made it to the range today.

Some observations on the new powder. Or powders adding the Ramshot Silhouette to the comment.

Magnum primers definitely needed.

Observations on load testing. Sky screens are essential and IMHO these Caldwell chronographs seem to be extra finicky regards to light, tripod stability and bullet flight path.

Registered
I just got a caldwell a couple monhs ago, when my Shooting Chrony of probably 20 years died. I have to use the skyscreens with the lights built in to get any kind of consistent function. With them, it works well; without them it鈥檚 nearly pointless to try.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really miss my Chrony.....
My problem is my skyscreens were either misplaced, lost or stolen. And everytime I look at their website to order replacement parts they are out of stock.馃槕
I'm seriously looking at making a decent replacement if possible.

Registered
When I was looking into chrono replacements, I saw one youtube video where the guy rigged up a flat LED panel light mounted above his Caldwell. Looked like a normal lay-in ceiling light except thinner (and presumably lighter), that was LED instead of fluorescent. Looked like a hassle to to, but looked like it worked well and solve the problem. I almost ordered the caldwell without the lighted skyscreen, and am VERY glad I didn't. It works great with them but doesn't work worth a flip without them.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Understandable, I found that out and mine was the standard model. Funny thing is it's working fine with the other ammo I run across it. And sometimes it works okay without the screens. But with "Ozark Weather" good luck with a clear sunny day with consistent lighting.

I think I'll look at Lowe's and maybe Harbor Freight later today for a set up with the lights.
Lowe's has, the material I need for the screens.

Registered
I think part of my unit's problem is due to the tree coverage where I shoot. There are a lot of moving shadows being thrown on the chrono, with no way to avoid it unless I move 20 yards away or more to a clear area, and even then it's still not 100%. I just accept that the lighted skyscreens are basically a necessary part of the setup where I am.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That figures, but wherever I end up moving to I've no idea of what range conditions I'll have either on public or private land. The LEDs probably aren't essential currently but the low winter Sun....we'll see.
Me winging it just up in my head may work great or...馃お馃ぃ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts