Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Improvised Sky Screens part one
One large piece of campaign sign plastic cut to 20"x24" and 2 pieces of 1/8"x48" steel rod cut to 24" and bent on one end.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Road surface Synthetic rubber

Didn't really feel like cutting across Springdale AR to harbor freight nor messing with Lowe's anymore yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well, it works!
As far as the improvised Sky Screens.

However, velocities aren't anything to write home about as claimed. I can get 900fps, which by itself is nothing to sneeze at. But it's 50fps slower than expected.
That's with this fancy dandy Enforcer powder.

I regret not loading some of the Ramshot Silhouette with Magnum primers but that's for the next day of good weather.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, another thing I noticed; a little bit while at the range and definitely when I got home and went to clean the pistol's barrel. Not burning the powder efficiently past a certain amount. Probably anything past 13.4-13.6 grains is a waste of powder at least with the small pistol sized primer pocket brass.
The bore reminded me of the old days of shooting 240gr lead swc out of my Ruger Redhawk with old formula Unique. Unburnt clumps of powder which looked odd but it's expected I guess.
It's weird because the new Unique never burned this dirty even with the standard small pistol primers in my .45ACP loads. I do have a small amount of large primer or "normal" brass that I might do a limited test batch with. But I don't believe that I have any large pistol primers currently. One local gun shop is still selling some by the 100ct pack so I may have to call and see if they have any of those in stock.

Oh darn near forgot I picked up some once fired .45acp brass at the range. Hope it's "normal" brass.馃榿

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I know it's a mess but did or does give options for using different primers.
Right now I'm pondering making some .45Super brass from either .308 or .30-'06 once fired brass.

Update: Found a source of Starline +p .45 ACP brass which from what I gather equals their .45Super excepting the headstamp.
I'll most likely get 50-100rds of it. But need to run down the large pistol primers. Minus buying a1000ct brick right now.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts