Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fencing today is now done on electric strip, with all hits being recorded by an electric box wich is connected to the fencers via a body cord. There are three main subdivisions of fencing, all the others are variants of these, some of which are illegal, and potentially lethal.

Foil

In foil the two fencers use a stabbing weapon called a foil, which is derived from the small sword. The foil is a flexible and swift blade. For electric bouts, there is a small button on the tip. The when the tip is depressed, a light on the box goes off, and an audible "beep" is heard. This reuires at least 500g of pressure, on the tip.
Rules, Foil:

Target Area:
In foil, the fencers must strike the torso of the opponent, this is called the "target area." The target area is distinguished by vest called a "lame" (la-may). When a fencer strikes his opponent on the lame, a colored light goes off (typically, red or green), indicating that the fencer has scored a touch. When a fencer receives a touch, the bout is stopped, and then re-centered, and then begins again.

When a fencer stabs his opponent in an area other than the lame, a white light goes off, indicating a non-scoring touch, the bout is stopped where it is, and then restarted.

Right-of-Way (Note: rules of right-of-way change depending on who is directing the match):
Right-of-Way indicates who's touch is counted when two lights appear. To steal right-of-way, one must posses forward motion as well as an extension of the blade, in affect, you must be "threatening" your opponent. One may steal right-of-way with a "parry-reposte" or a "transfer."

Epee:
An epee is a modern variant of the rapier, it is a stiffer blade, and requires more power (750g of pressure).

Rules; Epee:
In epee, the entire body is the target area. There are no rules of right-of-way. When two lights go off, both players receive the touch.

Sabre:

Sabre fencing is a derivative of cavalry sword fighting. The entire blade is electrified.

Sabre; Rules:
In Sabre, the fencers attempt to either stab or cut (not chop) your opponent. Sabre has rules of right-of-way, similar to foil. No minimun amount of pressure is needed to score a point. The target area in Sabre is also defined by the lame, but it is greatly expanded. The Sabre lame covers not only the torso, but also the arms, the glove and mask are also electrified. In Sabre, the area above the waist is target area, simulating the target area visible as if on a horse. No lights come on signifying an off-target touch, and the bout is not stopped in the event one occurs.

If there are any questions, feel free to post 'em.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Hey, that sounds like fun. Can you give an approximate cost of equipment for 2 people to get set up?

Thanks

RIKA

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raider said:
Hey, that sounds like fun. Can you give an approximate cost of equipment for 2 people to get set up?

Thanks

RIKA
Yes, but try it out first, many clubs provide equipment for it's members. Two pieces of equipment, however, should NEVER be used by someone other than the owner, and that's the glove, and the plastron (under arm protector, aka, armpit).

But here's what it costs:

Jacket: $35
Mask: $44, $95 (Sabre)
Body Cord: $13 (Foil); $13 (Epee); $20 (Sabre)
Note: Sabre also requires 2 alligator connecting wires, $6 each; these connect the electric mask to the lame, and the electric glove/machette to the lame.
Lame: $65 (Foil), $89 (Sabre)
Glove: $13; $35 (Sabre)
Machette (electric cuff, Sabre): $13
Foil: $30
Epee: $45
Sabre: $60
Plastron: $16

The prices listed are the rock-bottom minimum. Just like everything else, you get what you pay for. I spent $60 on just one of my foils and it has yet to fail me. I spent $10 a piece for my bodycords, and they lasted 4 months...and half that time they were with my armorer getting repaired. Sabre (sword) prices won't very much, it's the has simplest wiring setup.

In addition, you should wear long legged workout pants, the silky kind, it's not adviseable to fence in shorts. If you plan on competing, you'll need a pair of knickers, but baseball pants work fine. Also to consider are a cup (males), and breast protectors (females).

If you want your own electric strip, you'll need a scoring machine (box), 2 reels, and 2 floor cords. The scoring machines sell for between $375-$1000, and floor cords sell for about $45. Reels go for about $300-600 a piece.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whooops!

Here's a more direct answer for your question:

For Foil: $220
x2 $440
For Epee: $170
x2 $340
For Sabre: $380
x2 $760

You'll probably end up spending more, if you get quality gear. In general these purchases will last for quite a long time, so after this, it'll be basic upkeep of the equipment. Maybe a new body cord every 6-12 months, and a new blade tip every 12-24 months (foil-epee). Body cords are notorious for failing when you need them most, it's never a bad idea to buy more than one body cord. And if one goes bad, it's relatively simple to repair. It's also a good idea to have at least one extra sword.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Could be worth the effort....I was always interested in studying the sword. Aout as close as I ever came was a decent bit of the knife and stick work when I was making a fool out of myself in my martial arts days.That was some exefcise;sword work,be it Eastern or Western has always been interesting to me.
How functional are the blades?And on a similar note,what does anyone here know about the various European martial arts dealing with the sword(and other edged implements),like the Codex Wallerstein ,or the later Renaissance era stuff?
Be kind of a slick way to "crosstrain". :cool:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gripper said:
How functional are the blades?And on a similar note,what does anyone here know about the various European martial arts dealing with the sword(and other edged implements),like the Codex Wallerstein ,or the later Renaissance era stuff?
Be kind of a slick way to "crosstrain". :cool:
How functional are the blades? That depends on your meaning of functional. :p:

The blades are entirely flexible, so they will not puncture the skin if you're wearing a mask and your cotton twill jacket. HOWEVER, they can still kill you. The blade has NO PROBLEM with penetrating your eye socket. That's one of the reason we wear masks.

I also know a couple of people who some "Renaissance Era" stuff. It's called "show fighting." Half of it's because nobody takes it seriously, the other half is because the only people who learn it are actors of one sort or another. My last fencing coach also knew how to joust.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts

. My last fencing coach also knew how to joust.[/QUOTE]

thats gave me a funny thought , as my buddy with the race horses, when we get to having a few snorts from the jug, i have mentioned the / 'fancied' the idea with kitchen mops, on more than a few occasions.

i will submit my report upon his agreement of the 'joust'[it will never happen, he's chicken]ha!

thanks.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
OK, I'll rephrase the question;Who does "live blades" mixed martial arts/combatives type stuff ,,aybe incorporating the varios European and Eastern techniques (where the fusion works) ,maybe with a bit o'the ole Arnis/Kali/Escrima-Asian Pacific rim knife and stick combatives.Unarmed and armed cobatives+physical training/conditioning. It could be based on the 17th to 19th century "parlor fighting" schools in Europe,mabe with a bit of the Toledo/Seville sword&dagger work. Hell, toss in some o]f the Sicilian work too;they use to be hell on wheels with stiletto type designs.
I like to incorporate the "whatever works" ethic into my training/work ethic.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gripper said:
OK, I'll rephrase the question;Who does "live blades" mixed martial arts/combatives type stuff ,,aybe incorporating the varios European and Eastern techniques (where the fusion works) ,maybe with a bit o'the ole Arnis/Kali/Escrima-Asian Pacific rim knife and stick combatives.Unarmed and armed cobatives+physical training/conditioning. It could be based on the 17th to 19th century "parlor fighting" schools in Europe,mabe with a bit of the Toledo/Seville sword&dagger work. Hell, toss in some o]f the Sicilian work too;they use to be hell on wheels with stiletto type designs.
I like to incorporate the "whatever works" ethic into my training/work ethic.

Uhhh, try looking for some old hermit who lives in the Black Forrest, because I haven't a clue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts