Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By 3:00 p.m., it was shaping up as one of my more relaxed Friday afternoons at work. I was alone in my office, setting up a new printer. Shortly after that, I received a call that the sky was filling with smoke; a house was burning a quarter of a mile away. The fire was in a gated neighborhood, where both family and friends live. Callers told me that the fire seemed to be among the houses of family and friends. I jumped into my car and headed into the neighborhood.

North of me, the narrow, winding neighborhood streets were fast clogging with fire trucks, ambulances, and other emergency vehicles. I quickly decided to turn on a looping road that would bring me to the west of the scene. Then I learned that the burning house was directly behind the home of close friends.

The road ran parallel to a larger five-lane road that passed outside of the community. As I approached a gate into the community, I saw a fire truck headed towards the gate. I raced toward the gate, too, as I had a gate "clicker" and was able to save the firemen the ten seconds that the gate would cost them. After they were on their way, I proceeded on the loop. Soon I was a couple of houses from the burning house, so I parked and tried to learn what had happened.

I found a friend of mine who was standing with the two Middle Eastern young men who had been in the burning house. I told them that they were lucky to have escaped the fire...and they laughed.

I asked them, one maybe 15 and the other about 18 or 20, what happened. The younger one said, "The fire started in a closet in the girls' room and spread into the attic. Then, after it burned the attic, it burned down into the air handler and spread into the rest of the house." Both of these guys were subtly smiling to each other.

I moved around a few houses to reach the house directly behind, where two of my friends and their baby live. The lady of the house had been asleep with her baby inside and seemed shook up. One of our group placed the baby in a car safely away from the fire and the smoke, while others sealed up the house and the lady of the house called her husband.

A row of 30 foot tall cypress separated my friends' yard from that of the burning house. With the help of her mother and one of my relatives, I used a garden hose to spray the trees in hopes of cooling them. There was a walk-through in the middle of the trees and I went there to see how badly the house was burning.

I have seen many fires before, but nothing quite like this fire. What I saw less than 60 feet before me was a surrealistic sight that will remain with me for some time. A hole had burned in the center of the roof and a column of flame was shooting straight up over 100 feet into the air. The column of flame was perhaps 12 feet in diameter and looked like the flame of a giant torch. Black smoke blotted out the sky beyond. Although the firemen sprayed white jets of water from ladder trucks and ground hoses, none were behind the house yet. What a horrific, Dante'-ish sight, a beautiful, pristine house with a giant column of flame roaring straight up. After 10 or 20 minutes more, a large portion of the roof was engulfed in flames.

While I stood there transfixed by this unimaginable and sickening sight, I began to hear load cracking noises. Within a few seconds the cracking noises grew louder and before me the roof collapsed down onto second floor.

As the roof fell in, all of the yard before me was rapidly covered by a rolling mass of gray smoke, water and ash. The fire hoses were still aimed at the now missing roof and they blew debris in my direction. The fast moving mass of smoke and flying debris was enough for me. I turned and ran and yelled for my companions to do the same.

The firemen would no sooner move their hoses off of an extinguished section than it would rekindle and flames erupt. The firemen worked for more than four hours.

Yeah, it was just another quiet Friday at the office.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i copy/ un-cool post G-BULLET! that fire shit!, when it gets "fully involved"
is INSUFFERABLE. i'm glad your friends were not harmed!
it sounds to me like you caught a little 'action' today!

people just don't 'know' how SHELTARD* they are in life till a S.H.T.F.[like that fire] hits them!

from what i read into it , it sounded foul/smelled fishey

:wavey:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Out of control fire is ugly. At least no one lost their life or was injured. Hope the police and fire marshals question those two middle eastern dudes. People just don't subtly smile when the neighborhood is burning.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
You'd be very surprised at what they can determine about how the fire started, how it spread, etc. Even when it burns down like that.

If any accelerants are present, they will be able to determine this. (Assuming they are motivated to do so.)

Thankfully, it sounds like no one was killed or hurt.

:devil:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
GBullet said:
I found a friend of mine who was standing with the two Middle Eastern young men who had been in the burning house. I told them that they were lucky to have escaped the fire...and they laughed.

I asked them, one maybe 15 and the other about 18 or 20, what happened. The younger one said, "The fire started in a closet in the girls' room and spread into the attic. Then, after it burned the attic, it burned down into the air handler and spread into the rest of the house." Both of these guys were subtly smiling to each other.
OK, spill the beans. You are obviously implying something with those above statements, so what is it? Drug lab gone boom? What do you know (or think you know) that you aren't telling us, Rolin? The fire you describe doesn't sound like a normal house fire, now does it? It sounds like some sort of exceptionally flammable materials were being burned to me.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich, I'm am not holding back any information, just stating my observations.

I do want to imply/state a deep admiration for the courage displayed the firefighters, especially those guys in the buckets of the ladder trucks who were nearest the column of flame.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
They reported on the (national) radio news that 2 males in their early twenties along with a disgruntled security guard were being questioned about the fire. Only a short blurb that may or may not be true.

RIKA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts