Arms Locker banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If shtf comes what are your medical pererations.

(A)- wall-mart First Aid kit
(b)- better comercal First aid kit
(c)- home hade kit
(d)- home made kit with need ithems to stich up a bad cut, hemostats if you need them....etc
(e)- first aid kid and you know the woods well and could make do with what nature provides.

I think first aid is not talked about a lot.......but chances are you will have to play doctor. :poke:

ps...sorry about the spelling

Randy

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have several first aid kits one in each vehicle and two for in the field.

They are all custom assembled, though they include components from atwater carey kits.

All my kits include either quick-clot or traumadex, along with sutures, bandages (not band-aids - though I do have them too). Gauze pads (4 x 4's are probably the most versatile size), tape, epi-pens, rubber gloves, cpr masks, eye protection - BSI is critical (bodliy substance isolation) when dealing with others.

Sami splints, betadine, betadine wipes, antibacterial wipes. scissors, scapels, pain killers, traditional medicines, some oriental items, some natural items.

rope, matches, flashlights, lightsticks, razor blades, knife.

All of these are in my kits.

I'll get a picture of one of them posted...

:devil:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
"Contractor"-type first aid kit in truck; the kind intended for construction job-site use. Probably $30-$40 or so, don't recall. Another one in the garage, wife's car, etc.

In my BOB, more basic first aid supplies. Band-aids, pain killers, Krazy Glue, etc.

As important (more important?) than 'what' you carry, imo, is training in what to do in different situations. Not everyone's going to go through EMT training (I haven't), but everyone can take a free red cross class or two. They cost nothing, and are very informative, at least to someone who's never been through one before.

Ok, opportunity here to preach about Krazy Glue. That stuff is the best field-expedient "stitching" material I've found. You know how easily it 'grabs' your skin when you're trying to glue something...? It 'grabs' that well when you WANT it to, as well. Get a cut in the woods? (Or in the garage, or wherever) Clean/disinfect it as best you can, and drop some Krazy Glue right on it. Even if the bleeding hasn't completely stopped, it'll seal the wound, hold the skin in place, stop the bleeding, keep out water & bugs, etc. Then after a few days (when it isn't needed anymore), it just goes away all by itself. I can't praise this stuff enough. One 0.07-ounce tube will take the place of a LOT of bandages and stitches in your kit. I've used it for years and keep one in my truck's center console and my duty bag always. Last time I used it was a few weeks ago; a homicide detective cut himself on a scene (what can you expect; he's a detective, not a real cop... :cool: ). Dragged him over to my unit and popped the cap on the Krazy Glue, and helped ease his embarrassment.

Seriously, if you haven't considered it, actual "Krazy Glue" brand works wonders in a quick & dirty first aid situation. The other brands, I haven't had as good a luck with. Only caveat I would give is to always carry an unopened tube. Once you open and use a tube, it's likely to be caked up & un-useable the next time you need it; so put it in the kitchen junk drawer and put a new tube in your vehicle, pack, wherever. Only costs a buck & a half, and is very cheap insurance for what it provides.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I have a contractor's type kit supplemented by a custom kit that I put together myself (scalpel, needle holder, sutures, hemostats and a bunch of other stuff). The crazy glue is a super idea that everyone should include. EMT/Emergency training is something that no one should be without if at all available.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
here are some shots of one of my kits. I will follow up with one more picture and maybe a quick description of what the pictures are of...

the first two are of the exterior of my bag. the third one is an atwater carey kit that has been augmented with my own stuff. (good kits, pricey but fairly complete)

followed by the contents of two compartments from my main bag. two sam splints are in the picture. There is an assortment of bandadges and dressings. These are a must for anything too big for a bandaid.

In the last picture, is an x-pouch (with reflective strip) that contains trauma-dex, a chest seal, another bandage, another set of shears, a cpr mask, and gloves. Pretty much what you'd need to deal with a gunshot, as far as stabilizing for further treatment. (go to xpouch.com - I think the kit goes for like $35, a bargin for what it offers you.)

It will fit in a bdu pocket, plus has a strip on the back where it could be velcro'd to a panel in a vehicle.

Trauma-dex is a clotting agent, like quick-clot. I have kits with both of these clotting agents.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
last picture.

in this one, the pouch of surgical tools is partially visible at the right side of the picture. I guess I should have taken more time to compose the shot :)

I also tend to put everything into gallon size ziplock bags

I don't know if the packets of wipes (antibacterial and disinfectant) came out in the pictures, or if the bottles of betadine and antibacterial gel are clear.

Most all other drugs and such are in the smaller pack.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
They actually make "Super Glue single use servings" I saw them at the PX in the field gear section. Use it one time, throw it away, no cross contamination, or infection. I carry them in my camelback right next to the benadryl, and the extractor kit, both are good for the skeeter bites, as well as any othe insect stings.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
A little meat tenderizer mixed into a paste with water rubbed on the skeeter bite will take the itch out of it...

will also work for jellyfish stings...

:devil:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've got 2 kits nearly finished one is an individual one using a SAW Ammo pouch and the other one is a "home/base camp" one using a medium sized Dynamed medical bag.

I'm also working on 2 more of the individual kits in SAW pouches for my other LBV rigs.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
I have a 20mm box filled with medical supplies for a first aider, a car first aid kit and I always carry 2 field bandages on my webbing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Awww dang! The 20mm can is a good idea but my Dynamed bag is a bit too big to fit inside one, just tried it. That would have really kept it waterproof and rodent proof.

Oh well I'll just have to look for a suitable substitute.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
walking stick, Ace Bandages, etc, PREVENT a lot of serious injuries, and can help you deal with them. If shtf, it's the wrenched knee, sprained ankle, etc, that is likely to result in your death, not insect stings or small cuts. Inability to MOVE, swiftly and discretely, is a horrible handicap, when millions of people are trying to kill you.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
PREVENTION is where it's at. That's why the walking stick, Ace bandages,gloves, hat,gloves, sunglasses, etc, belong in the BOB kit. it's the sprained ankle , snow blindness, severe sunburn, not SEEING trouble, and wrenched knee that are likelly to result in your death, not some little cut. Soap and water usually deal adquately with cuts, along with a good immune system.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
223 fan said:
it's the sprained ankle , snow blindness, severe sunburn, not SEEING trouble, and wrenched knee that are likelly to result in your death, not some little cut.
Yet you're the one who constantly thinks a mere scratch is going to result in death.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
So Melvin, please post a DETAILED list of your kit! Let others learn from whatever experiences you have had!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
This software won't let you make a post of less than 10 characters, so he can't list all of his kit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts