Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the concept of the revolver more. Which would be more practical to have as my first and only gun (for a time at least)? Any advantages or disadvantages?

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
For a long time my recommendation as the first gun for someone who wasn’t going to shoot a lot was a medium frame revolver with a three or 4 inch barrel in 357 magnum. Nowadays, if a person is willing to put even a little bit of learning and training into it, I’d lean more toward something like a Glock or a Canik.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
When asked by a new shooter which centerfire handgun to buy I will always recommend the following; a stainless steel, 4", .357 magnum with adjustable sights. A stainless handgun, resists rust better and retains its resale value better. A 4" barrel can be used as a concealed carry firearm and can still provide accuracy needed at the range and competition if desired. A .357 ensures that you can use a variety of ammunition from .38 Special paper punchers to a .357 that will take down a Elk if required. Plus the cost of ammunition is spread over a wide range depending what you buy. Reloading also is relatively cheap once you are equipped for it. Holsters and speed loaders are available in a wide variety in case you want to try competition or concealed carry. Adjustable sights will give you far greater flexibility if you decide to change the type of ammo you are using. Revolvers are also simpler in operation for the novice compared to the latest "wondernine" on the market. Finally the most important reason I recommend a revolver is the cheaper cost. Most new shooters have a great amount of enthusiasm, AT THE BEGINNING. Most get bored after the first 5 or 6 times they hit the range. This way you invest minimal money. Once you get the basics of marksmanship down, and you are still really interested then it is time to look into semi autos that suit the style of shooting that you participate in.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Chopped Star with a can and spit nosed bullet's. Only way to go for a beginner. Seriously, I like Garand's .357 idea because you can shoot light recoiling .38 wadcutters to get used to the gun before you switch to hot .38 Specials and .357 Magnum rounds. Before that however I would suggest a .22 revolver or semi-automatic to see if shooting is for you.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Agree with everyone for varying reasons.

I cut my handgun shooting teeth on a Ruger Security Six
My only regrets were it being 6" and blued finish not stainless.

Here's the issue today for a new shooter Ammunition Price and Availability.

Also here in the USA at least in my area revolvers are not cheap. Not good ones anyway.

I'd seriously go to a few local gunshops and just browse a bit on Handgun & Ammunition price and availability.

4" .357 Magnum 6-7shot S&W or Ruger.

Glock or other striker fired 9mm in the Glock 19 size range.

And I strongly advise NOT being talked into the gun counter commando typical recommendations of a snubnose .38special or a .40S&W or a .45ACP of any type or brands.

I hope this helps and I imagine most of us here will be happy to help with any further questions.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Ruger SP101, Dual Caliber: 357 Magnum/38 Special Revolver, w/ 3" Barrel, Polished Action Job, Exposed Hammer, and Soft Rubber Hogue Monogrip.

I keep it with 2 Bianchi 'Speed Strips', and 3 HKS Speedloaders. The holster came from a fellow who is now out of the leather working business; but, if I had to get another one, I'd probably try getting one off eBay or Etsy. The only other thing you'll need is a couple of carry pouches for the speedloaders.

THESE POUCHES SHOULD BE WORN IN FRONT OF THE HOLSTER AND ON THE SAME (STRONG) SIDE OF THE BODY.

Why? Because Jim Cirillo and I say that you should never attempt to speed load a revolver with your weak hand! That is why! ;)

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
...Jim Cirillo and I say that you should never attempt to speed load a revolver with your weak hand!
I mostly agree with that, but not 100%; the small difference probably due to being a left-hander that shoots right-handed. I did the way you describe when using speedloaders and have since the 70's, but with moonclip revolvers, I'm actually faster and more positive loading with my left. Simply put, even though I shoot right handed (just how I learned, since back then guns were all made to be shot right-handed) my left hand is my better-coordinated hand. The risk is obviously possible mental glitches from having two different methods, but I simply don't carry speedloader-fed revolvers anymore. Most of my handgun carrying is with a plain-jane 9mm semiauto, and on the occasions that I do carry revolvers, a small 986 in 9mm or the bigger Redhawk in .45 fit any need I have, so the lefthand-fed moonclip thing works well for me. Might not for everyone, but I've tried it numerous times both ways and this way (for me) is much smoother, quicker, and more positive. If I were to start carrying speedloader-fed revolvers again, I'd have to come up with another solution, but since I don't ever carry them anymore, it's become a non-issue.

For a right-hander shooting right-handed, I'd agree with you completely.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
As another left handed person, who shoots right handed, I find it far more convenient and easier to reload a double action revolver with my weak hand using either moon clips or speed loaders.. I tried in the past of reloading with my strong hand and it strongly resembles a dog doing obscene things to a football.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So, . . . . for the two guys who are naturally left-handed, but shoot revolvers with their right-hand, what are you guys, cross-eye-dominant? 🤪

My favorite handgun: (S&W 686 w/ 21/2" underlugged barrel and custom-made Hogue stock.)

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
So, . . . . for the two guys who are naturally left-handed, but shoot revolvers with their right-hand, what are you guys, cross-eye-dominant? 🤪

My favorite handgun: (S&W 686 w/ 21/2" underlugged barrel and custom-made Hogue stock.)
I'm right-eye dominant. Don't really know if that's from birth or (like shooting right-handed) is just acclimation from decades of shooting that way. I write, throw, eat, use a hammer, knife, etc, left-handed; only shooting is a right hand thing with me.

My favorite revolvers have changed over the years. For a long time it was a plain jane 4" 681, that served as both my ipsc revolver and woods gun for a long time in the 80's & 90's. Still have it for that matter, as imo a 4" .357 is one of the most versatile revolvers to be had.
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

After that was a ruger super redhawk that I'd had the barrel shortened to 5" on. It was some heavier, but had a lot more versatility of loads, since it could shoot anything from light .45LC 'cowboy' loads to full power .454 loads. For a while I really got into the heavy loads, but only a few years. Eventually I just ended up carrying it mostly with .45LC stuff or light (.44 magnum level) .454 loads instead of the truly heavy loads.
Brown Wood Food Hardwood Fashion accessory

It was replaced a couple years ago by a similar but slightly lighter 4" (or maybe 4.2"..?) ruger redhawk that's made to take both rimmed and rimless .45-caliber ammo. Mainly that means .45LC and .45acp; but it can also use a lot of other calibers if push came to shove. The .45 super, .460 Rowland, .45 GAP, and even weirdo calibers like .450 Triton SMC, .455 Webley and .451 Detonics and (in a pinch) even the .45 Win Mag. The .45 win mag is kind of pushing it some and certainly wouldn't be approved by ruger, but at 41.5k psi it's still less pressure than a lot of guys load Redhawks to. I sold the super redhawk probably six months ago, after deciding that this redhawk could fill its place for anything I really needed or wanted anymore; and that since it can take rimless rounds could actually do some things that the super redhawk couldn't. I've since replaced the grips on it, but don't have a pic with them:
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Personally I don't have much need for tons of power anymore and it mostly gets plain old .45acp in it using moonclips.

The redhawk is my primary woods gun, but I find myself occasionally carrying the 986 instead; admittedly partly out of laziness and convenience. Seven rounds of 9mm is pretty capable, the moonclip carriers hold another 42 rounds in about the space of two 9mm magazines, and it's not like we have a lot of over-large predatory animals in our area. Here the most common predators are coyotes, feral dogs and occasional bobcats; nothing huge. We do have black bear, but they're pretty rare and I don't personally know anyone who's had a dangerous run-in with one. So sometimes the .45 redhawk gets left at home and the smaller 986 snub goes in its place.
Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun

Wood Rectangle Gold Cylinder Gun accessory

(Full disclosure, most times I only carry four moonclips in the double carrier instead of six. Never have had a problem with it, but I worry a little about them being that close to the tip of the carrier and losing the top ones out in the woods somewhere. And even just four gives 28 spare rounds on hand, which is plenty for my woods-carry purposes.)

Honestly have to say that my favorite revolver right now is definitely the 986. I bought it mainly as a fairly "politician-proof" gun that could serve as a ccw option, but have really come to like it more than I thought I would. If I could only keep one revolver of the ones I currently own, it would be that one. If I were in a castaway situation or in a place with larger predators, it would be the redhawk above, but for my current situation & location, the 986 would definitely get the nod as my "one & only" choice.

Reactions: Pistolero

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
My right eye is my master eye.

Reactions: Pistolero
1 - 11 of 11 Posts