Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are five tips for hunters to bag more squirrels:

1) Use binoculars. Binoculars let you spot them before they're in range. That helps you get ready to make the shot.

2) Get elevated. Squirrels expect dangers from hawks in the air, and various critters on the ground. Use a deer stand and the squirrels will wander right up.

3) Use standard velocity ammo or yet .22 Shorts and take only head shots. You will spook fewer squirrels and won't ruin any meat.

4) Use a squirrel call that imitates an agressive male. Other squirrels will come running to defend their territory.

5) Bring a book. It's a lot easier to sit still while you're waiting if you read a good book. By the end of the chapter, you'll be hearing "scribble, scribble, scribble" in the trees.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Thanks for the tips, especially on the book. It does tend to make me antsy sitting still while waiting for "something to happen". I've never been sufficiently motivated to maximize a day's take, since it's never been a "have to" proposition. Never hungry enough for it to matter all that much. (I eat what I take, but that's very different from 'not eating if you don't take'.)

Regarding the .22 shorts, I plan to use subsonic .22LR's in a suppressed rifle. :dgrin: (Yes, it's legal here; heck, hunting with a full-auto is legal here, but that'd be rough on the meat... :uzi: )

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've never done much hunting, but I've spent plenty of time out in the woods watching the critters. You ever tried the trick they suggest for squirrel hunting where you take an ammo box with a couple of round in it and toss it on the other side of the tree? it's supposed to make the squirrel move back around to your side of the tree. From the squirrels I've seen in the woods, it looks like it might work, since they often like to watch from the far side of the tree trunk.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never used an ammo box, but I have often done it with a stick. Yep, it worked every time.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Hillbilly said:
...and toss it on the other side of the tree? it's supposed to make the squirrel move back around to your side of the tree. From the squirrels I've seen in the woods, it looks like it might work, since they often like to watch from the far side of the tree trunk.
Geez, I'm stupid. Been hunting squirrels since the 70's and never even considered 'tricking' them onto 'my' side of the tree. Dumbass. :headbang:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
My son and I like to squirrel hunt. We have only one rule: headshots only. We hunt with .22's (I actually like to use my .22mag, but that's a whole 'nother discussion in itself)

In Az you're allowed 10 a day, 20 in your possesion per hunter.

We were up on the rim camping and hunting squirrels one year. We were walking down a dirt road, when this pickup truck comes screaming to a stop, and about 9 guys pile out of the cab and the back of the truck and begin blasting away at this tree.

It sounded like a war, they were even reloading, but failed to hit anything.

We noticed a squirrel in another tree about 5 yds away, watching them from a branch. I walked over to where I had a good view of the squirrel, and to where I knew the guys blasting away could see me. I took one shot and the squirrel landed at the base of the tree with a very satisfying thump.

I walked over to my squirrel, picked it up, nice head shot. The 'hunters' all got back in their truck and drove off.

About two minutes later, my son took the squirrel they had been blasting away at. One shot. In the head.

:devil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts