Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
how many guys you THINK were able to PRACTICE thousands of rds a year in 1700's? Smoke all over the place, of COURSE they missed a lot, on TOP of the human inability to kill other humans, manifested in MOST men.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
70 grs of powder per musket load, 7000 grs in 1 lb, and powder a RARITY in the colonies, even if you HAD the money to pay for it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
223 fan said:
how many guys you THINK were able to PRACTICE thousands of rds a year in 1700's, dummies? Smoke all over the place, of COURSE they missed a lot, on TOP of the human inability to kill other humans, manifested in MOST men.
??

You really need to go and read some accounts of the time. They had some really brutal and effective ways of killing and dealing with people.

The tomahawk fighting techniques were brutally effective.

They fought some pretty bloody battles in this days and they had no problems whatsoever with killing when it was required.

You like to revise history a lot.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
223 fan said:
how many guys you THINK were able to PRACTICE thousands of rds a year in 1700's, dummies? Smoke all over the place, of COURSE they missed a lot, on TOP of the human inability to kill other humans, manifested in MOST men.

andy in america in the 1700's they got there practice by living till the next day. from the accounts that i have read you wouldn't survive long if you had an inability to kill your fellow human.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
223 fan said:
how many guys you THINK were able to PRACTICE thousands of rds a year in 1700's? Smoke all over the place, of COURSE they missed a lot, ...
Be that as it may, the frontiersmen were able to expand into America's interior armed with flintlock muzzleloaders and hatchets.

They fought dangerous animals and hostile Indians...and won.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
IIRC from my American history classes (from long, long ago, in a state far, far away), two of the things that would bring a frontiersman back tot he nearest city were: provisions and lead & powder for their guns. I suspect they shot quite a bit. Albeit between feeding and defending themselves, I doubt they shot much at stationary targets. Target shooting seemed more of a city boy pasttime.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I know this thread is old, but it took me awhile to find the exact quote that I was looking for;

"This privince {Pennsylvania} has raised 100 rifle-men, the worst of whom will put a ball into a man's head at a distance of 150 or 200 yards, therefore advise your officers who shall hereafter come out to America, to settle their affairs in England before their departure."

-London Chronicle, August 17, 1775

Sound to me like the Brits were quite impressed with the colonists shooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts