Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
What he doesn't realize mrostov, is that the Federal government has been preparing for this far longer than any of us have been alive. I know it suprised me just how fast FEMA got here in teh wake of the hurricanes.

The military damn well will commit resources to protecting vital infrastructure. If they have to go to ration cards, hey andy might be right, cash won't be good for much, because you can't get what isn't rationed. Yet, that also means people won't be dying off. They might not have all the stuff they want, but it'll be enough to keep them alive. When martial law is declared, riots will be put down with machinegun fire, not tear gas and guys with batons. If anyone is stupid enough to try and blow up infrastructure in such times, the FEDS (including all LEOs, military, etc as they will all be under federal authority then) will skin those people and put them up on poles as a warning. In normals times the squeaky wheel gets the grease. In such times as are being discussed, the sqeaky bug gets stepped on. Best bet is to lie low and avoid being noticed.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The plans that the Feds have are extensive, from details for rapid, mass burials to commandeering fast food restaurants, like McDonald's, to serve as armed and guarded soup and bread lines to feed local populations from stockpiled government rations.

This doesn't mean things will be rosey, or that it won't get worse. To eat you'll have to register as a peon and it'll get worse from there.

If you want to understand better what JD keeps referring to as 'shtf' you need to read 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand.

Basically, it's a fiction story where society just gets filled with too many dumb-asses who are just helpless sheep and whiners so society just collapses upon itself in a depressing, helpless funk.

Ayn Rand is really big into a philosophy/religion based upon self serving individualism to the extreme, sort of a 'righteousness of selfishness' set of beliefs. Ayn (pronounced: Eye'n) Rand was born Alisa Rosenbaum who renamed herself off of a brand of typewriter.

Rand/Rosenbaum made some good points, but kind of missed the boat on a few things.

What JD has done for his 'shtf' speculation is taken Atlas Shrugged and added a more sociopathic, bloody, apocalyptic ending.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I know, I was asked to muster for the Hurricane relief, but couldn't afford the 5 - 6 week commitment they wanted at this time. I'm a member of the City's Cert team. (Community Emergency Reponse Tem)

It wasn't a bad deal - you get sworn in as a fed and put on the payroll for the amount of time you are on TDY with FEMA.

I just had/ have too much critical stuff at work right now and my bosses wouldn't give me the time off...

:devil:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I rented 6 26' Straight Box TRucks to FEMA(Federal Excercise Mass Anxiety) the day after Bonnie, and Charles hit western central Florida, and havent seen them since, but they are on a Govt. expense account so, No Worries.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
mrostov said:
Ayn Rand is really big into a philosophy/religion based upon self serving individualism to the extreme, sort of a 'righteousness of selfishness' set of beliefs. Ayn (pronounced: Eye'n) Rand was born Alisa Rosenbaum who renamed herself off of a brand of typewriter.

"Alisa Rosenbaum", a jew, preaching 'righteousness of selfishness'? Tell me it ain't so!
:laugh01:

I really thought his philosophy was more Nietscke (wrong spelling) than Rand. Guess I haven't read much of her stuff, I get bored quickly with her stuff.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Not much has changed in 17 years except my preparation level. My main concern these days for the "instant SHTF scenario" is an EMP strike over North America which would definitely complicate evacuation from urban areas.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts