Arms Locker banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a "school" last week that focuses on the skills of the longhunters of the 1700's. It's a neat event. Part classroom, part field training.

Anyway, I found this knife on a "trade blanket". I really like it. It's designed to hang around your neck, has a carbon steel blade with a curly hickory handle. Decorated with 2 deer hair tin cones and 2 pieces of real clamshell wampum.

This sucker is razor sharp too...........I cut myself twice with it already!! :bawling:

Whatcha think?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Wow, sweet looking knife there an very functional.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
That is a really nice knife worthy of a long rifle hunter. :beer:

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I really like that blade profile. One of the best for field use, IMO.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
That’s slick. Is that a pouch in the sheath-front for a second (smaller) knife, or a sharpening stone, or something?

Definitely “period”-worthy for a serious blackpowder hunter’s rig.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I like it too!
The scales are particularly nice.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Flinter said:
I went to a "school" last week that focuses on the skills of the longhunters of the 1700's. It's a neat event. Part classroom, part field training.

Anyway, I found this knife on a "trade blanket". I really like it. It's designed to hang around your neck, has a carbon steel blade with a curly hickory handle. Decorated with 2 deer hair tin cones and 2 pieces of real clamshell wampum.

This sucker is razor sharp too...........I cut myself twice with it already!! :bawling:

Whatcha think?
What "school" was this? Sounds pretty cool.

Pretty sweet blade, too. I like no-frills jobbers like that, as they tend to be a lot more functional.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wylycoyte said:
What "school" was this? Sounds pretty cool.
It's actually called "School of the Longhunter". It takes place at Fort Prickett in Fairmont, WV. I think this was the 10th annual........I've attended 8.

Longhunters were the guys in the 1700's who went on hunts (sometimes a year or two in length) to bring hides back to sell to the fur traders. They are also the ones who opened up the passages to the west and lead to the settling of Tenn, KY, etc.

Here is a list of the classes offered this year;

1) Duties of the Common Militia
2) Treenware (we learned to make a small kitchen item from a block of wood, I made a spoon. They offered bowls, spoon, spatula, cup, etc.)
3) Emergency Care While Trekking (period backpacking)
4) Period Trapping
5) Bows and Flint Knapping
6) Natural Dying Workshop (I dyed my shirt using goldenrod plants)

Key note speaker was Wallace Gusler, he gave a 4 hour lecture on firearms of the 1700's. For those who don't know, he is the head gunsmith at Colonial Wiliamsburg. A flintlock from his shop costs about $20,OOO and has a 4 year wait.

The best part about it is that typically you get a certain amount of classroom training and then it's out to the field to try your hand at really doing it.

There are, of course, always contests between classes.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Sweet! I was wondering if it was Rivercane, but that's this week.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John in AR said:
That’s slick. Is that a pouch in the sheath-front for a second (smaller) knife, or a sharpening stone, or something?.
Actually, what you are seeing is where the leather at the top of the sheath is reenforced with 3 layers. It looks like a pouch, but it isn't.

Glad you guys like it. I think it's going to be a good companion.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Nice looking knife. Very practical blade shape.

·
Registered
334 Posts
fffg100grns said:
This is me Knife I made, but is has one problem.
Problem is, can't get the pic to upload. Worked over in the test forum on one but not here. Took several trys. ??.
THe handle is a rose bush stem, has some weird colors but is pretty hard wood.
Blade is Green River, almost shave with it. Like I said, not as pretty as Flinters but its my first homemade.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thats a nice looking and practical knife, FFG. Good job.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nothing wrong with that knife FFG. Yours looks more period correct than mine IMHO.

I like the wood. Are we talking about a normal ornamental rose bush stem? Or something else?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, The wood is a Wild Rose Bush Stem, from my yard.
The wife had me pull up the wild ones and I kept a stem just for this knife.
One bad thing about the blade, it is hard to tell sharp side from dull, I cut my self once, then I made the three little divets in the blade so I can finger find it. I think if I was smarter I would put some divets in the handle.

All you need for happiness are a good horse, a good knife and a good gun. - Just kidding,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts