Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I decided today to just bite the bullet and buy one of these puppies. Been thinking about it off and on but was holding back because I really don't need another .308 rifle. But what the heck. I have a couple of nice scopes that need homes and this gun should be just dynamite with my Swarovski 6x24x50. The problem with my shoulder and arm has abated quite a bit, so I should be able to do some shooting pretty soon.

Anyway, I am getting the A1 model which is a 24 inch heavy barrel with a removable box magazine. I found several places with real good prices on it, but they were out of stock with no ETA on delivery. So I had to settle for someone who had one in stock at just an OK price.

If it comes in in time, maybe I'll even wrap it for myself! :santa:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
WOW! with the 'glass' your speaking about[or thinking of]

and that rifle[whoa!]

you would be putting together [1] hell of a 'one gun option'

b.t.w what does that .308win F.N. WEIGH IN AT BEFORE scope mounting.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
That FN is a real beauty. I know that you'll enjoy it.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Now thats a nice christmas present!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Cool!

Of course a stupe like you can't handle such a rifle - I'll give you the address in AZ where you can have it shipped....

:devil:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aslan said:
Cool!

Of course a stupe like you can't handle such a rifle - I'll give you the address in AZ where you can have it shipped....

See, now there you go jumping to conclusions. :)

Who said I bought it to handle it? I bought it to HAVE it. :cool:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
don't go using logic and crap like that....

I'm happy for you - I expect you'll post a range report at some point...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
It looks like a great rifle Rich, Have fun!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the rifle is on it's way to my FFL guy and due to arrive on 12/23. Hope UPS is on time, because my FFL guy is leaving for a week on the 24th. So there might just be a bare spot underneath the Christmas tree come Christmas morning..... Oh well, no big deal if it is. I won't be home most of Christmas anyway. So waiting a week to get it won't kill me. I think....

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Any here know if there is an iron sight(aperture)& stripper clip guide option,factrory or otherwise?I was thinking maybe in the 18-22 inch barrel length.....

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my SPR came in today and I picked it up from my FFL guy. Some puzzling things about it, though.

The bolt has some very noticeable wear on it. Much more then I would expect on a new gun. The extractor has wear showing on the front of the blade where it would hit the rim of the cartridge when the bolt is closed. The rounds fired log that came with the gun only show 7 rounds being fired from the gun by FN, and this was back in early 2003. Now the odd thing is that the scope mount itself looks like it has NEVER had rings mounted on it at all. So it has me kind of puzzled.

Yeah, the serial number on the bolt matches up with the gun. The gun itself looks pristine, but darn if I can figure out why that bolt looks like it does.

The box it came in was beat to hell and the styro liner broken up pretty badly.

Oh, and besides a test target and the shots log, there was no other manual provided with the gun. Now I know I probably have a Winchester model 70 manual around here somewhere, but it would probably take me DAYS to find it. And I couldn't figure out how in the world to get that bolt into the darned receiver for anything tonight. Rather then fuss and fiddle with it, I just decided to come over here to the den and fume for a while. I did send off an email to the place I got this thing from expressing my concerns. Darn it, if I buy a new gun I really do expect to get a manual with it.

Anyway, GRIPE MODE off.....

BTW, this is one HEAVY darn rifle. It will probably be a real pussycat shooting .308s out of.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It gets better....

I installed the bolt into the gun earlier today. I should have remembered how, since I have two model 70 Winchesters already. Duh....

Anyway, I was quite astonished at an excessive amount of chatter I heard while working the bolt. Not the usual buttery smooth, crisp, and silent action I am accustomed to with quality firearms. Not at all. So upon inspection I discovered that the serial number stamped into the bolt is exactly where the bolt stop in the receiver rides on the bolt itself. So the chatter I heard is caused by the bolt stop rubbing against that serial number. Obviously, this has been done MANY times before I ever received this gun based on the obvious wear trail I see on that bolt.

Minor detail, but although the log book shows a factory setting of 4 - 4.5 pounds for the trigger pull, this one is no where near that. More like 8 pounds if my trigger finger is accurate on squeeze guestimation. Definitely not what you want on a sniper grade rifle.

Quite likely this gun has been sent to other people, who noted the problem with the bolt stop I mentioned above, and sent it back to them for the same reasons I am going to.

So, based on the wear on the bolt, the extremely beat up box, and the rounds fired log dating 7 fired targetting rounds back on 3/14/03, my only conclusion can be that this gun is NOT new at all, but is a used gun and has likely been passed from hand to hand several times. I'm not sure it has ever been fired, but I think "used" can certainly apply to a firearm that has had the bolt worked an excessive number of times to create the wear I see, not to mention the excessive amount of dry firing that this guy likely had as well.

I am still puzzled about the wear on the front of the extractor blade. It would take more then 7 test rounds to produce the wear I see, but I would think the gun itself would show more signs of being fired. I guess I am basing that "unfired" determination solely upon the scope mount appearing to never have had rings on it. I guess it is entirely possible that the scope mount could have been replaced.

So gut feelings are showing red lights all across the board.

I have fired off an email to CMMG, INC, the place where I bought this gun from, requesting a return of this item for a full refund.

Dammit....... :hot:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Rich, it really sucks to receive something that doesn't work. But for your Christmas present and on Christmas eve - thats positively evil. I'm so sorry but at least you should get your money back plus two way shipping. Are you going to ask for a new rifle or just write them off? I'd tell them to go to hell but thats just me.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rika,

Yeah, thanks. I'm not sure what I am going to do as far as a replacement or refund is concerned. I'll have to play that by ear.

But it is right disconcerting that I bought this gun based on glowing reviews about FN and their quality and attention to detail. But to put the bolt serial number right where the bolt stop would ride over it with each throw of the bolt? Maybe I am missing something obvious, but I think it would take someone as dumb as a box of rocks to do something like that. So much for the "attention to detail" thing. Based on that fact alone, I would likely just want my money back and scrap the entire idea of a FN rifle. But if this is a manufacturing error, well I don't know. Why didn't quality control catch that before it went out the door?

Like I said, bad vibes......

So I have to stew over this until probably Monday, which would be the first I would expect to hear back from anyone.
:punch:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I've taken some pics of that bolt so you all can take a look at it and tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree about this thing. I see too much wear for a gun that was supposedly new and only fired 7 rounds at the factory for testing. What do you all think?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
No way you would get that much wear from only 7 rounds.

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I'm glad it's not just me thinking that. Well, I've sent off a few emails to CMMG, Inc now. Let's see how they respond to this problem. I should have taken a photo of the box it came in. The styro liner is beat to crap.

BTW, I didn't point it out in the photo, but notice that serial number on the bolt? That is where the bolt stop in the receiver rides whenever the bolt is slid back and forth. Who in their right mind would put the serial number on a riding surface like that? Matter of fact, I would think that ANYWHERE but where that serial number had been stamped would have been better!

The reason I bought the FN was from the glowing reviews about their quality control and attention to detail in modifying a stock Winchester Model 70 action for accuracy and precision. This sure throws a curve at me for believing what I have been reading.... If CMMG offers a replacement, and this serial number problem is "standard" I think I will decline. You wouldn't believe the racket it makes when the bolt is worked in the action. Sounds like you have sand in it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts