Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
powered took kit. There is the "piston", the 2 rods, the "cylinder", and the washer. The washer has an ID of about .275". the small Rod has an OD of about .270". The large rod has an OD of .750", but it has a little, 1/4" long nipple whose OD is .270". The washer, cylinder and piston are used with both sizes of baffle. If you are making small hole baffles, you use the .270" rod, to spindle the screenwire around. the wire is cut into a rectangle, folded into thirds, and its then spindled. Fold the rough edges of the wire, on one end of the rectangle, back towards the rough edges. Then start spindling from that fold, and have the rough edges on the outside, as you spindle the wire. Then there will be no loose ends in the "tunnel" thru the baffles, cause that's where the bullet will come flying-thru. The bronze screen has to be annealed before folding, or it won't hold its donut-shape after you form it.

the piston has a different hole size in each of its ends. One end is a slip fit around the .270" OD rod, the other end is a slip fit around the .750" rod. Naturally, you use the appropiate end, depending upon which size of baffle you are forming. This info is for academic use only, of course.

You have to "back-up" the small hole baffles with the washer, or the blast will cause the baffle to unravel, blowing the end of the screen into the next baffle, (thelarger ID type) Rifle cans aint that much tougher to build than good 22 cans. The commercial makers are raking you over the coals when they charge you $1000+ for a 223 rifle can.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The reason that they charge $750 to $1500 for a decent suppressor is that their's won't burn out or blow apart under prolonged fire from the substantial muzzle blast of a 5.56mm and your homemade job eventually will, probably sooner than later, providing it works worth a piss in the first place.

In one of the tests of a Gemtech titanium suppressor while attached to an M249 SAW, they got the suppressor glowing hot and it still worked. They cooled the suppressor off by sticking it in a snowbank and it still worked afterwards.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what, dumbass? You are too cheap and chickenshit to either make or buy one, anyway. The point is, the guy who makes his own HAS one, and you don't. NObody has to PRACTICE with the can in place, dumbass. As long as it will hold up to a few score rds of 223, and a few hundred rds of 22lr, it's servicable for shtf, much less any little "mission" for "normal times" Just because you have a fucked up notion of what a silencer is FOR doesn't change the reality of the situation. You are just another whim-worhiper, that's all. I deal in reality.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Heat's a real issue if you use a suppressor for more than a handful of shots. (Whether or not you'd ever "need" to, I'm not getting into...) That sound energy is largely converted to heat energy inside the suppressor, which is a major reason a metal suppressor works better than a plastic one of the same size; the metal absorbs the heat much better, so absorbs the energy much better.

Mine's manual lists a temperature rise of 11-13 degrees farenheit per shot, so call it 12 degrees. Doesn't sound drastic until you step back & add it up. Start on an 80-degree day, run a quick 30-round mag through it ([30x12]+80), and that thing's suddenly over 400 degrees. Hot enough to set the grass on fire if you lay it down.

They warn it can reach 600+ in sustained semi-auto, and 800+ in sustained full-auto. Hot.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't even imagine SURVIVING needing to fire more than 10 rds in any one "burst". After that, it better be 1-2 rds, as you pop around cover, and if a total of 10 rds in that manner doesn't suffice to let you break loose from that engagement, only luck can save you. Clowns have been pumped SO full of that Vietnam "spray-suppress-suck ass stuff. What you'd BETTER do is stick to thick cover or darkness. If you are so lacking in cover-escape route as to NEED "suppressive" fire, you are in need of LUCK already.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Like I said, I'm not debating "the need" for multiple shots. Very well may never 'need' even one.

The fact is, I often DO shoot lots of shots in one outing, and I prefer using the suppressor (it's paid for, might as well use it...), so heat is something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
so what, dumbass? You are too cheap and chickenshit to either make or buy one, anyway. The point is, the guy who makes his own HAS one, and you don't. NObody has to PRACTICE with the can in place, dumbass. As long as it will hold up to a few score rds of 223, and a few hundred rds of 22lr, it's servicable for shtf, much less any little "mission" for "normal times" Just because you have a fucked up notion of what a silencer is FOR doesn't change the reality of the situation. You are just another whim-worhiper, that's all. I deal in reality.
Bill & Ted's Big Apocalypse Survival Manual - Chapter 1 - "Stupes"
Bill & Ted's Big Apocalypse Survival Manual - Chapter 2 - "Cans"

You're so goofed out of reality on this it's incredible.

Anyone who has a homemade suppressor and brags about it on the web is a quart low on brain fluid. Even bragging about a legal suppressor isn't always the best idea on the web, unless you're a cop or hold some other job with the system.

Speaking about dumbasses, who was the dumbass that spent many years in prison over a stupid piece of metal that he really didn't need?

YOU? Golly, go figure, the same guy who brags on the web about homemade silencers. Checked your brain fluid levels lately?

CHEAP? You're the one who has pot metal guns and no camping gear.

You only are so hooked on the suppressor uber-alles thing because you're terrified of the world and you feel that it's a necessary crutch. You probably also read so many cheesy novels while in the slam you think that you're character in one of them.

Your fixation on specific gear models as absolutes is just like one of those phoney, fictional characters. Those that actually have to deal with reality know that whatever gear you have you'd better make it do the task, crutch or no crutch.

BTW: Your .223 suppressor design is lacking, at best, and anyone who uses it simply doesn't know any better or they are too cheap and lazy to do it right. My advice to you is to stick to .22's and leave the centerfires to those who might actually know what they are doing.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Gunkid, you have a real problem of understanding the scope of life around you, correct? The world is far bigger and more difficult than your fantasy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts