Arms Locker banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Frosts Mora knife. This is the one made in Sweden, not Frosts Cutlery in the US. It has a 4 1/8" stainless blade and is 8 1/2" long with a OD plastic handle. The OD pancake flipper style sheath is made of plastic.

When you first see the knife, you think el-cheapo. WRONG! Its inexpensive at $10.00 and lightweight but not cheap. An issue field knife for the Swedish army. The blade is a joy to sharpen. A few strokes of a stone and its hair flinging sharp.

May be too late for Christmas but I'll be getting a few to pass out to friends and customers during the coming year as gifts.

Just something to think about.

RIKA

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rika, they are surprising the first time you really use them.
The SWAK is what we call that model -- others to look at are Frost Clippers.
I have several wit carbon steel also.

One thing I have found with these -- It helps to use them hard the first cople times and stone and sharpen them more than usual. After a couple uses - use stones to straighten the grinds and then strop them on leather to really polish the edge.
I feel they are better woodworking knives after doing this.

I think they quick grind them from the factory , and they lose some temper at the edge. Useing stones to grind away some steel the first couple uses gets to better steel. After that - polished edges cut thru woods better.

Jim

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, I believe you are correct about factory grinding; it took a little work to get the edge exactly the way I wanted. The Frosts knife that I am describing isn't a woodworking knife though. Its a general purpose blade suitable for fish, fur and whatever needs cutting.

RIKA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts