Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not one to leave a project well enough alone, I am wondering what is involved with a conversion to PSG type, with a German HK-91A-3(pre-ban, if that matters at all) . Is it more than swapping barrels and trigger group, and using a rigid buttstock?
And, would it be something where you could reconfigure as needed, and back, or is it major surgery??
:crazy1:
GNSLNGR

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Oh, it's a LOT more... to do the conversion properly, here is what you'll need to do...

1. Remove cocking tube assembly
2. Remove barrel AND trunnion assembly.
3. Remove the stock.
4. Install the forward assist. This requires cutting and welding on the receiver.
5. Install the rail inserts. This requires some fitting and welding.
6. Install PSG1 trunnion and barrel assembly. Yes, it's a lot different from the G3 style.
7. Install the PSG1 cocking tube assembly. This has the correct end for mounting the PSG1 forearm.
8. Install PSG1 bolt and carrier assembly.
9. Install PSG1 trigger pack and housing.
10. Install PSG1 stock.
11. Oh yeah, remove the rear sight from the rifle and weld on the scope mount for the scope.

All in all, it's a major operation and it will commit the gun to the role. In all honesty, unless you have some significant training in long range shooting and can employ a weapon like the PSG1 to it's fullest extent, it's more of a burden than an advantage. It adds about 6 pounds to the weight of a G3 rifle and it's a lot more susceptable to fouling problems.

The conversion will also cost you a few grand to do. If your receiver is out of spec, it won't work unless you have the proper receiver mandrels to bring it into spec.

In all honesty, I'd leave your rifle alone and get an M1A match rifle and use that. It'll be less expensive and it's just as accurate.

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All you gotta do is........

HMMM,
Judging from your procedurally dissuasive post, I will only add......"Roger that"-good post, kinda what I thought...but I have met a guy who's brother does it ALL the time!!! He has converted all of his , um , "XG-3's".....
thanks , and well put, I would've been happy to be wrong , but things that seem just too convenient, usually AREN'T!
"Rock On!" :sidestep: :nuts:
Dave
GNSLNGR

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
LOL... well, I've built 2 PSG1 rifles and owned an original HK PSG1. Yeah, they are accurate but damned expensive to buy or build.

I'm fast falling in love with the M1A series of rifles and I like the accuracy that I've found with them. Another great semi rifle to build to a sniper rifle is the AR10. I'm working on two of those right now. I have one already built that is quite accurate and reliable... but it cost me $3000 or so to put it together.

Mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hard Rock said:
LOL... well, I've built 2 PSG1 rifles and owned an original HK PSG1. Yeah, they are accurate but damned expensive to buy or build.

I'm fast falling in love with the M1A series of rifles and I like the accuracy that I've found with them. Another great semi rifle to build to a sniper rifle is the AR10. I'm working on two of those right now. I have one already built that is quite accurate and reliable... but it cost me $3000 or so to put it together.

Mike
I'd be curious to hear what all you ended up doing to the AR10. Might be a neat topic on it's own right.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I began with an AR-10 stripped lower. I then got a standard lower parts kit and put it together minus the trigger pack. I went to Jewell and got a trigger pack from them and fit it to the rifle and my specifications.

On the upper, I got a flat top receiver, PRI freefloat handguard and full length rail, a 26 inch Mike Rock 5R heavy barrel and an AWC Thundertrap suppressor. I am also using a Mike Rock Sopmod bipod. Then comes the scope. I'm using a Leupold M3LR mounted with Badger "50" rings.

The entire action has been matched and tuned and the rifle is firing about 2/5 inch groups consistantly at 100 yards.

Mike

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
sounds like a nice set up.

:devil:

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Hard Rock said:
The entire action has been matched.......

Mike
Mike- Is everything in that process the same as for a regular AR or is there something different? Also are there any tips you have that are not commonly done period?

I'm curious as I'm planning on an AR-10 build in the near future.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Well, for this gun, since it's purpose built for one thing and one thing only, and that is making 1000 yard shots for a certain competition, I stripped the entire lower and upper receivers of all finish then removed or added aluminum where needed to get the most consistant and repeatable fit possible between the two while making sure the alignment for the bolt and carrier travel was within 1/100 of a degree. I then beefed up a few minor areas and fit the barrel to the upper for the optimum spacing with the barrel nut. I had to remove approximately 1/64th of an inch off of the barrel mounting threads. I then had the pair refinished and double checked the fit. This took about 5 weeks of 4-6 hours a day to do and for most applications, it really isn't necessary.

Mike

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Okay I was thinking of taking out any slop between the upper and lower.

BTW- On the barrels are these blanks or finished? I wouldn't mind using one of his that just screwed on like a regular AR type would.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You can get them in either configuration. I get mine completely done as I'm lazy. They are properly headspaced and ready to install.

Mike

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Okay I'd rather not have to do all that either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
all that, just to get the 6" at 600 yds that any decent, used, $800 HBAR 223 has. As if the guy hit with a "mere" 223 is going to be ANY threat to the guy who just hit him at 600 yds. He's going to be doing nothing but bleeding out and crying for his mama.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Actually Gunkid, I'm making 4 inch groups at 600 with the AR10 setup. I've come close to beating Coopers Challenge but I'm not quite there yet. David Lauk beat it a few weeks ago... Congrats David. He did use a .223 rifle to do it which was impressive beyond words...

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cooper's challenge, is glynn really andy.......?

Seems that congrats are definately in order for .223 @600
if it is sub .5 minutes, for that matter 4" with AR-10 @ same is pretty damn good.Now comes the dumb questions:
What specifically is Cooper's Challenge, while J Cooper is not unknown to me by a longshot- I am not familiar with the challenge(the phrase is familiar-just nothing after that part)?
What bullet are you using in the AR-10 AR-10 for your 600yd'rs?
thanks-
Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts