Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, at 90 degree angle, in the DARK, at half a mile:) That's EXACTLY the sort of mark a man in an inflatable raft, floating down middle of Mississippi river OFFERS, dumbass. I never said it was TOTALLY safe,but it's 100x safer than being in open country, like western Canada, in daylight, dumbass. at least it's VERY little effort and risk, andmoving in the right direction, OUT of the stupidity of snow and ice, short growing seasons, animals all migrated or hibernating, all the water iced over, etc.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
why would it only be at 90 degree angle?

you don't understand too much, and you certainly don't understand the tactics of what you are claiming.

Since you are drifting at a constant rate, it's very easy to walk the rounds in on you, darkness or not.

It you can see well enough to see the raft, you will be shot.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The Mississippi River is a mile wide in places. Forget hitting the man, just sink the inflatable raft and let the jerk drown.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
what and have the EPA angry for polluting the river?

:devil:

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Please post the link where I specified "4 mph"??? I remember last time I was on course at the Defense Ammunition School in Savannah Ill. it wasn't a half a mile to the middle of the mississippi at that point. It might have been 1/2 mile across. If I remember the river at that time was pretty brown, so letting you drown, wouldn't be polluting the river that much.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A man or a raft in the middle of the Mississippi would be a almost unmissable target even with a "canned 11.5 car15 using a .22lr conversion unic". There would be no place to hide, and any hits would become fatal due to ingesting excess Di Hydrogen Monoxide. In a nut shell anyone who saw the little troll riding the currents especially if there had been a outbreak of cannibal actities upstream, would sink his ass and let the fishes get acid reflux.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Melvin, a survivor looks at his reality, and plans accordingly. It would create no problem up here surviving if proper preparation and planning were done.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
man, at 90 degree angle, in the DARK, at half a mile:) That's EXACTLY the sort of mark a man in an inflatable raft, floating down middle of Mississippi river OFFERS, dumbass. I never said it was TOTALLY safe,but it's 100x safer than being in open country, like western Canada, in daylight, dumbass. at least it's VERY little effort and risk, andmoving in the right direction, OUT of the stupidity of snow and ice, short growing seasons, animals all migrated or hibernating, all the water iced over, etc.
trigonometry is not in your wheel house, is it?

you have 180 degrees in which to engage the target, starting as it is approaching you and continuing abeam and as it is moving away from you.

walking rounds into an on-coming raft would not even take a lot of guess work.

by the time you reach abeam (90 degrees) you're already dead.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Personally, if it were me making the choice about that scenario, I would go with a kayak, faster speed, better mobility , more rugged construction, harder to sink and move mainly at dawn or dusk for short periods of time.

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Now, realistically, unless the raft is some kind of threat, most people would ignore it.

Why shoot at a raft with a guy wrapped in trash bags?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Just the thought of paddling one of the hardest boats to maneuver 1,000-2,000 miles (depending on start and finish location) is unbelievable. I can't even guess how long it would take. Could you imagine doing this in the winter? Melvin never mentioned buying a wet suit either. Just floating and going with the current could take you months.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
You mean Bubba an Tyrone.
Yeah probably, no telling who'd he'd have "packed" into his big inner tube.

Anyhow I can't seem to find that thread here and wonder if it was deleted or it was on Patriot Network maybe?

20years of his crackpot ideas it's hard to keep track of all of them.:nuts:

All I really remember was him fantasizing something about being in charge of a raft full of "desperate men" and I came back with something like "Yeah sure you'd be a regular "Fellatio Hornblower".:laugh:

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Just wondering, if someone actually wanted to kayak (the fastest way) from Illinois to Louisiana, how long would it take? How many days provisions would Melvin have to pack for?

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Remember the "Captain" of this crew stated they would abandon anyone wounded or hurt. Great for morale and unit cohesion.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Just wondering, if someone actually wanted to kayak (the fastest way) from Illinois to Louisiana, how long would it take? How many days provisions would Melvin have to pack for?
I found this:

Getting to the Gulf from the Mississippi River’s headwaters at Lake Itasca, Minn., was far more trying for four Ohio college students — Tony Yandek, Conor Emser, Evan Weisenberger and Beau Hartman — who made the 53-day, 2,300-mile trip in kayaks.

now, they started further north, so lets subtract 10 days...

so 43 days for fit college students. Tripple it for an old guy with bad heart, circulation and knee issues. (I think I'm over estimating his abilities here)

so he would need food and water for 43 days. Water could be had from the river itself, if you had the gear to remove all the chemicals and pollutants, which is a separate issue from viruses and bacteria. you could stop and distill drinkable water, in theory, but that would extend the trip greatly.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I just did a brief search through u tube and they have videos lasting any where from 42 days to over 100, with a KAYAK! Gawd knows how long it would take in a rubber life raft.
If he chose a good sea kayak he would have the ability to transport 400 pounds (weight includes operator). If Melvin was smart he would have purchased a good vacuum sealer and made up about 40x 1 day "Goody Packs" , each containing things like instant oatmeal, tea, hot chocolate, matches, salt/pepper packs, sugar packs, dehydrated soup and, small packages of kleenex, hard candys, etc. Then he could have chosen about 40 individual meals from Mountain House for example as his main meal of the day. A inflatable sleeping pad, sleeping bag and lightweight tarp, 100meters 550 cord, folding saw, medical kit, rifle 200 rds of ammo, pistol 100 rds, bug spray, sun screen, maps, compass, ground spikes for both anchoring the boat and holding down the tarp. And lets not forget a wet suit, life jacket and a set of plastic detachable wheels for the portaging of the kayak.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts