Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
2,617 Posts
I just did a brief search through u tube and they have videos lasting any where from 42 days to over 100, with a KAYAK! Gawd knows how long it would take in a rubber life raft.
If he chose a good sea kayak he would have the ability to transport 400 pounds (weight includes operator). If Melvin was smart he would have purchased a good vacuum sealer and made up about 40x 1 day "Goody Packs" , each containing things like instant oatmeal, tea, hot chocolate, matches, salt/pepper packs, sugar packs, dehydrated soup and, small packages of kleenex, hard candys, etc. Then he could have chosen about 40 individual meals from Mountain House for example as his main meal of the day. A inflatable sleeping pad, sleeping bag and lightweight tarp, 100meters 550 cord, folding saw, medical kit, rifle 200 rds of ammo, pistol 100 rds, bug spray, sun screen, maps, compass, ground spikes for both anchoring the boat and holding down the tarp. And lets not forget a wet suit, life jacket and a set of plastic detachable wheels for the portaging of the kayak.
I swagged the 43 days based on the distance from MN to IL, looks like I was pretty close.

·
Administrator
2,474 Posts
Also there are 9 locks and dams on the Ill-Mo section of the river I'm guessing he'd need to figure out how to navigate either through or around the last 3.
Having maps might be handy for that.
And if no one remembers to open them before abandoning them it might make for more fun.

·
Administrator
2,617 Posts
Also there are 9 locks and dams on the Ill-Mo section of the river I'm guessing he'd need to figure out how to navigate either through or around the last 3.
And if no one remembers to open them before abandoning them it might make for more fun.
don't get in the way of his fantasy....

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
I'm having one of those slow days where the only thing to do is resize, deprime and bell pistol brass, so I'm watching U tube while I'm doing it. The gentleman goes under the handle of "escape with jay" and I'm currently watching "Kayaking the Mighty Mississippi ep. 11 Iowa border to Cassville, WI (days 25 & 26)". I guess I got about another 14 episodes to go.

So far it looks to be very interesting trip, worth time for a great summer vacation (if I was 25 years younger). Back to the show.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
From watching the first 11 episodes apparently there is a Mississippi River Kayaking association that can supply detailed maps and the video has shown a number of portages up to 1,600 yds long which would give need to a set of plastic wheels for the kayak.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
"detailed maps"
That leaves Mel out unless he would use them to stuff down his pants to keep the old feeble legs warm.
The thought of rafting down the Mississippi looks interesting, mind you I would rather do the Snake River myself but the time taken to do it, would definitely take a bite into the number of matches that I shoot during the summer. A side note apparently the Army Corps of Engineers has produced a handy size of navigational maps of the Mississippi for those that know how to read a map.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
So Melvin, when you were thinking of floating down the Mississippi to sell your services to some warlord in Louisiana, why didn't you consider a kayak?

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Well Melvin, you have had 7 months to think about it, why not use a kayak instead of a rubber raft?

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Just curious, does anyone believe that Melvin has any experience with either a raft or kayak?

·
Administrator
2,474 Posts
Just curious, does anyone believe that Melvin has any experience with either a raft or kayak?
Not really going to put any faith in that. You know however if he was still in or near a college town there are usually outdoor recreation clubs or even classes to take in rafting kayaking and canoeing.
He could take one ...but yeah I know.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
"He has FANTASIZED about it extensively, which is more than enough." Corrected it for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd
21 - 35 of 35 Posts