Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
too much bulk and weight. Stow the 6x8 mylar and 6x8 PEVA bags in the storage unit, with the food. I will never again live where severe cold or deep snow is an issue (or at least, not where a weeks bicycling on back roads won't get me out of such country by November. So just the modified SOL escape bivvy will suffice. Sitting in it, feet on the pack, lets the heat lost from legs rise up and warm my torso. Sitting minimizes contact with the cold ground and a big tree will block the wind. Stlll need, of course, buttons and loops to prevent the shirts riding up and exposing the kidneys.

So, just vacumm pack 5 of the "throwaway" type mylar blankets and a small stuff sack. If need the warmth, cut/tear them into strips, wad them up and stuff them between the layers of longjohns. With a hoodie, shemaugh and rainsuit, that will suffice down to 25F if I'm active. and let me sleep at night, sitting in the hammock chair, down to freezing temps, Given dry debris, those temps can be driven down another 15 degrees F, by stuffing the debris between my longjohns and my outer clothing, between my outer clothing and my plastic
rainsuit, and between the bugnetting and the SOl bivvy. Then a little 1/4 lb candle lantern and a 2oz beeswax candle and the Ambien let me sleep at 0F.

you should stay active during the coldest part of the night, and sleep during the warmest part of the day. That's worth another 10F, actually.

Since gonna be hauling 200 lbs of food and gear, either on the bicycle, walking alongside of it, or by use of the Asian 'long frame" pack, adding 5 lbs of proper clothng/shelter/sleeping bag( at that point) wont matter.

The weight and bulk of the "real-shelter" stuff just is not in keeping with a BOB setup. Not in the southern half of the US, when you have the rainsuit, the beanie, candle-lantern, hoodie, mylar strips, the SOL bivvy, the bugnet bag and the hammock.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
people who STAY more than one winter in the cold country, once shtf, are nuts. I can see being stuck there for a few months, if shtf right in mid winter. but when you have all spring summer to get ready to leave, and all fall to make the move, wtf would you want to risk the cold, the smoke signals from fires, the tracks in the snow, all the plants died back for winter and buried in snow, the problems with water freezing, etc. The eskimos only did so because the other native tribes drove them up North. A year after shtf, there will be nobody keeping you from rafting south, at night. . Almost all of the US drains into Louisiana. Stop anywhere along that route, when you think that the place will be warm enough in winter, and then use the bicycle to get back north, out of the bugs and heat of summer.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
given a bit of meth, no big deal to stay awake during the coldest hours, creating metabolic heat by doing leg raises , etc. given the ambien, no problems sleeping while sitting, during the warmest hours of the day, either. :) The rainsuit, hoodie,beanie, candle and mylar wadding give me lots more versatlitiy than the 2 bags. Still need the bags, long term, but need the food, too. So leaving the heavy duty sleep/shelter gear and cold weather clothing, with the food stash, until shtf only makes sense.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
While you are in your drug induced stupor what happens if the candle turns over? One krispy kritter.
Does the drugs help you come up with these nightmares?

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Meth is a suicide drug. It depletes the Human body of the very nutrients you need in a survival situation. To advise it's use, shows you have no real grasp of life, let alone survival in a hostile environment. Look at a meth head. I've seen hundred's. Teeth gone to hell, hair gone, pasty, pimply complexion. You'll not need food, because meth kill's your appetite. No incentive for anything except that next meth hit. Yes, great advice for a survivalist. Methamphetamine and Ambien, you'll go far on your bicycle.

Reactions: OSOKILL

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Haven't heard anything about wifey lately? Melvin my wife shot 2 matches last weekend, how many did yours shoot?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
...and the Ambien let me sleep at 0F.
...given the ambien, no problems sleeping while sitting...
Seriously John, that's a hugely bad idea. A hypnotic drug - whose own literature says it causes confusion and dizziness - is NOT what you want in your system in a crisis situation.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
On the other hand out thinking a drug addled opponent in a tactical situation should be a slam dunk!

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
ROFLMAO!!!!

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
We are back to the good ol days of Melvin floating down the Mississippi in his Kevlar rubber dingy that nobody can see or accurately shoot at. This was a really great fantasy, if Melvin fleshed it out a bit, I don't doubt that it would maker a great "B" movie on the SciFi channel.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
We are back to the good ol days of Melvin floating down the Mississippi in his Kevlar rubber dingy that nobody can see or accurately shoot at. This was a really great fantasy, if Melvin fleshed it out a bit, I don't doubt that it would maker a great "B" movie on the SciFi channel.

With the debarked Chihuahua I always thought a parody of A Boy and His Dog based on the movie starring Don Johnson would be a good one. Heck the original was goofy to start with.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
JMD - I was searching for something regarding our house build and came across this post below.

Chemicals, including nicotine and alchohol, are the refuge of the weak minded.

I'm honestly curious how (ie, via what logic path) you went from puritanically railing against cigarettes & beer in your 50's, to actually recommending meth and ambien as a survival aid in your 60's:
given a bit of meth, no big deal to stay awake during the coldest hours, creating metabolic heat by doing leg raises , etc. given the ambien, no problems sleeping while sitting, during the warmest hours of the day, either...
That's quite a jump; both logically and morally.

I'm also genuinely intrigued to see what next year will bring, when we cross the next threshold - the 70's...

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I was reading through this one and free of charge no recognition or credit at all I present Melvin with an idea for his training and online information sales website,.
I give you-

🕷 The Spider Hole 🕷
🕸 Institute of Tactics and Survival🕸

A.K.A
The S.H.I.T.S.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Melvin appears to be hiding from us lately, wonder why?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Two possibilities:

A - Uncomfortable questions that he doesn't want to acknowledge, or
B - He's exposed everybody as stupes and lames so many times that it's not worth his time to post here.

Either way, he'll be back; conspicuously avoiding discussions that he himself started, and slinging recycled pontifications about how the performance of a 24" AR with 100-grain bullets proves the effectiveness of a 10" AR with 60-grain bullets. And why .300 Whisper was a great thing back when it was a wildcat; but .300 Blackout is pointless now that it's been standardized. And why it's stupid and lazy to not have "the best gear possible", except for the obvious advantages of using disposable trash bags as your primary shelter material.

You know, obvious and logical things like that. Do try to keep up... 😎

1 - 20 of 24 Posts